Fight Club Discontinued - 9/11 sensitivity?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron Croft, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Aaron Croft

Aaron Croft Stunt Coordinator

I am not posting this as news of Fight Club being discontinued or to create a duplicate thread about this subject. I only want to see others views on the possibility of this DVD being discontinued for reasons having to do with the 9/11 tragedy. I did a search and could not find a similar thread. For those of you who have seen the film, I think the reasons for the sensitivity are quite obvious:

A terrorist organization plots to blow up several buildings in the financial district of a major city, presumably NYC.

Does anyone else see this as a possible reason for the discontinuation of this DVD? What about the possibility of this film being edited? Any news on other reasons why this DVD was discontinued (other than speculation)?

Also.. why is a discontinued DVD suddenly being put on sale everywhere? It seams that demand for the DVD would rise simply because of the discontinuation... why would the price also be lowered? I bought this DVD for 16.99 over the weekend at Fred Meyer. I've seen other deals for this normally $25-30 set. Are they simply trying to get rid of stock so that the DVD is very hard to find.. thus creating a higher demand when the next version is released?

I do realise that political discussion is not looked highly upon on these forums, although I do beleive that in certain circumstances (like when politics are effecting the movies we watch) it should be allowed. I am more curious wether or not the rest of you think it is possible that studios are pulling DVDs with possibly "offensive" material.... maybe to edit them?

Also, are there any other DVD's recently discontinued that could fall under this category?

And I appologize if this thread is out of line with the rules of this forum, as I respect the owners right to control discussions.

Aaron

2. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

It's being replaced by a single disc release. There's no conspiracy at work here.

3. Aaron Croft

Is that confirmed? I searched the other threads and did not find any links.

Thanks.

Aaron

4. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

I don't want to dispute the more salient points of your question, but I did want to point out that there is no reason at all to "presume" that the major city is New York. There is plenty of evidence given in the film that it is Wilmington, Delaware.
    I refer the dubious to the Fight Club trivia page of IMDb.

5. Aaron Croft

Thanks Robert.. I wasn't aware of that. I appreciate the link, and I am sorry to mislead.

Aaron

6. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Yes, this was confirmed. Fox is re-releasing single disc versions of alot of their 2-disc sets, Fight Club being one of them, The Abyss, Cast Away, ID4, and Big Trouble in Little China to name a few.

7. Aaron Croft

Thanks Mike.. link?
    ID4 raises a few eyebrows on this subject also...
    Intersting.... or am I just being mislead by my ultr-paranoid freinds? [​IMG]
    Aaron

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I think you're being misled. [​IMG] If titles were going to be pulled because of 9/11, it would have happened a long time ago. That sensitivity is now past. All the films that were held up have been released to theaters, and no one's talked about editing films or TV shows for "sensitive" content since late last year.
    M.

9. Sarah Temple

Sarah Temple Agent

i really dont think that 9-11 had anything to do with the fight club current addition being pulled off the shelf; i really never even thought of that as a possibility. i always thought it was simply because Fox might be losing money on the dvd and by releasing it in a simplistic edition, they could perhaps make some money instead of losing it. i am aware that fight club did poorly in the theater, and its video release made much more money. but i also think that the packaging may be causing Fox to reconsider their choice in making it so spectacular, thus pulling it from the shelves. thats just my little opinion though.

10. Joe McCabe

Joe McCabe Second Unit

RobertCharlotte is correct about it being Wilmington, DE.

I live in Wilmington, and I remember some sort of concern about them actually naming Wilmington in the film.
    There are indeed many bank headquarters here, and there were concerns that the film would give people "ideas".

11. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    The majority of the movie was filmed in Los Angeles, just like Fincher's unamed city in Se7en. Many of the buildings and landmarks are obviously L.A., I never heard of it ever having anything to due with Wilmington, but the many refernces in the film make it out to be. Strange.

12. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

13. Aaron Croft

Thanks Dave! I did do a search, but alas, I didn't find that info.
    I feel better now.. nothing to see here, move along folks [​IMG]
    Aaron

14. Bob Partovi

Bob Partovi Stunt Coordinator

15. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

If there is a hidden agenda behind the single disc replacement ID4 and Fight Club, then we also have to assume that there is a secret plot behind the replacements of Cast Away and the Sound of Music, and that's something I'm just not brave enough to accept. [​IMG]
    -Dave

16. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I forget the thread, but Peter Staddon was quite clear on this forum that they would not be discontinuing Fight Club as a result of 9/11
    Most people have never paid attention to how the video industry works. It's all about re-promoting the same old stuff, so if they only have the 2-discers on the market say 1 year out of 3, or 2 out of 5, that gives a chance for J6P to take the sandblaster to his copies, and to sucker us(you know which people you are) to buy another copy later because it now has an extra subliminal Tyler Durdan [​IMG]
    On the economic side, with the amount of discs being run these days, 2 disc sets take twice as long to run, and are much harder to discount lower.

17. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

There's a lot of talk about where the film is set on the various commentary tracks. It's never mentioned explicitly in the film, and one of the reasons given is that if you name a specific town, it makes it more difficult to defend yourself against lawsuits from people or companies who feel that they are somehow represented in the film.

For example, if you had a film set in Seattle with a murderous dentist called Joe Bloggs, and it turns out that there's a dentist called Joe Briggs who takes exception to this, it would be much more difficult to defend against a lawsuit than it would be if you's not mentioned a specific location.

18. Doug_L

Doug_L Stunt Coordinator

On the heels of JulianK, I'll say this:

Listen to the commentary tracks and you'll hear Fincher specifically address the issue of lawsuits and the location of the movie. He wanted to stay true to the book (which does mention Wilmington, but the studio's lawyers would not let him).

On a similar note, the character Marla Singer (played by Helena Bonham Carter) was a major issue because at the time of filming there was only one person in the United States (I believe) named Marla Singer. When there are many people with the same name as a fictional character, it's much easier to defend in a lawsuit by saying "Well, we weren't making a reference to you in particular, Marla Singer, but to another Marla Singer, you know, the one that lives in San Francisco" or something like that. With only one real-life Marla Singer, though, this becomes impossible. And because of the way the process works, they did not discover the dearth of real-life Marla Singer's until well into the shooting schedule.

An interesting story (I think) that sheds some light on how many people contribute to a movie, in this case, the Rights and Clearences Department of a major studio. BTW, one of the better commentary track, IMO.

19. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

As for the disctontinuing of the 2-disc sets, I have absolutely no problem with this. I mean, if I wanted the movie, I would have bought it by now. The studios are still going to make the actual movies available, so if some people who are late in adopting DVD still havent bought the movies yet, then they just miss out on the second disc of features.
    I can also see why they feel that the casual consumer might not want to invest the money in a 2 disc SE, so re-releasing a single disc version does make sense from a marketing standpoint.
    This is a great movie and great DVD, and anyone who is saavy enough to be reading an online webboard dedicated to home theater and DVD, yet still hasnt picked up this movie, well, you deserve to miss out! [​IMG]

20. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

Look here.

The first rule of one disk editions is to never talk about the one disk editions.

The second rule of one disk editions is to never talk about the one disk editions.