Fight Club, Big Trouble, Sound of Music Discontinued!

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I just bought Big Trouble in Little China ($19.99 @ CC... good deal!). They had a BUNCH of them (about 20). Get 'em while they're hot!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Simple marketing scheme.

Announce a product withdrawal. People go
out and buy more copies hoping to sell during
the years the product is not available.

The absence of the product creates a demand.

When the title is re-released years later, it
will probably be done so with even extra features
in an attempt to woo people to buy it again.

Kenneth Vestergaard

Stunt Coordinator
I of course have Fight Club in the very cool cardboard packaging, but some retailer sites seem to indicate that this title is no longer in this packaging? (Looks like a double Alpha in five-star style cover)

Travis D

Second Unit
No, that was the original packaging, but Fincher had the cardboard design be the one instead. I guess Die Hard and it's sequels are next. Buy em while you can.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
All of the titles being pulled have been out for over a year. Most people interested in the SE probably buy it within the first couple weeks it is out. Other people do not want an SE or to pay the higher prices, so Fox is probably going to give them one disc releases of these titles.

Nothing really to complain about. The hardcore fans already have the discs in SE form. Buy the discs now while you have fair warning, if you must have the SE.

J

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Of course, if these had been DVD-18's, there wouldn't be as much of an excuse to downsize these.
No, there would be even MORE reason. Because DVD-18 has a much higher failure rate than pressing 2 DVD-9s. It's more expensive to do in terms of cost per disc as well.

It's not as much about the cost of the disc, as the fact that they're paying royalties on these extras more than likely to documentary producers and such.

It's not the NUMBER of discs, it's the PRICE POINT they can put it at.

The 2 disc sets will be back, I'm positive.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Fight Club is probably going to be re-released as single disc, P&S only.
David, why do you say this? What disc has Fox discontinued and then put out in P&S only? If I recall correctly there have been exactly zero.

Do you have some insider information you would like to share with us?

J

Roland G

Stunt Coordinator
What the Hell is Fox thinking ?

Fight Club is a classic SE with a lot of Director imput. I even think that Fox refered to it as a directors edition.

Now i own Fight Club, but thinking about getting an extra copy...

And while i have never seen SoM or Btilc ... it is sure a shame to pull those wonderfull David Prior Special Editions.

i am raging FOX

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
I'm picking up Fight Club tuesday along with Harry Potter... I just checked yesterday and Metro Video has plenty of copies so I'm safe...

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I am Jack's Extreme Dissapointment.

Well, I'm glad I bought both Fight Club and Big Trouble in Little China a while back, and I personally don't want The Sound of Music.

AdamW

Agent
So many titles, so little money.

Fortunately, I have some cash lying around so maybe I'll pickup all these films. BTW, for those of you who missed out on Cast Away, Independence Day, and The Abyss 2-disc editions,the local Sam's Club had a few of each in stock. Of course, it'll vary from store to store.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
On my break at Wal-Mart today, I purchased the "Fight Club" 2-Disc set. I've wanted to see this movie upon hearing of its fanbase, and after hearing that the double-disc is headed for OOP-ville, I jumped to it. There were only 3 copies left...now there's 2. I am Jack's Sense Of Looking Forward To Viewing The Movie.

Sincerely,

John "I also got 'Oliver & Company' today...how's that for diversity?" Kilduff

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
Read that ditty from DVDREVIEW again:

SOM, FC & BTILC are being released as 1-disc sets. Nowhere does it say P&S only. So they are only releasing OAR 1-disc versions. Not the end of the world, especially if you read Jeff Kleist's rationale on the previous page (and he's in the biz)
Right now, the market for the older SEs has pretty much been saturated. While they continue to include the 2nd disc, they have to pay tons of royalties AND every time they repress they have to press 2 discs,
Now those others that have P&S only discs haven't had their OAR discs announced as discontinued, have they? DVDREVIEW is only guessing that part.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well, I posted this over on Studio Feedback, and was hoping that Peter would post something to the contrary. He still may, but so far, nothing but silence. He could be on vacation, or it could be an ominous sign.

I certainly hope that the OAR titles remain available, but I'm worried that they won't be.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Macoco