What's new

Fight Club, Big Trouble, Sound of Music Discontinued! (1 Viewer)

Richard Waller

Second Unit
I wish Fox would stop doing this. I feel sorry for the late-comers to DVD because they will most likely miss out on these wonderful special editions. Their only option will be eBay.

Matthew_S

Second Unit
I wish Fox would stop doing this. I feel sorry for the late-comers to DVD because they will most likely miss out on these wonderful special editions
I feel the same way. Why discontinue these great discs?? (I don't know about The Sound of Music, but the other two are excellent!)

RajeeK

Second Unit
How could they discontinue Fight Club. That is IMO, the best DVD out there right now. Shame.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I just wonder what their reasoning is behind this. Are they planning a re-release of Fight Club?
Peace Out~:D

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I can't see how that's possible. Fight Club is one of the most packed discs out there right now, so there's not much that they could even THINK about adding. Only thing I can think of is that they want to add a P&S transfer....

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
So far as I can tell these are being replaced by dual one disk editions -- Pan & Scam or OAR.

I'm not too sure of the logic either... I guess they want to make sure that they don't wan't us to procrastinate in buying future 2 disk SEs. It certainly is effective psychologically -- I own none of these titles, but know I'm considering them...

Ted

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I've been on the fence about Big Trouble as I've never seen the film. Perhaps I should rent it soon to see if it needs to be in my collection.

I too wish that Fox didn't intend to discontinue titles. I guess it makes sense that they wouldn't press discs infinitely, but these seem like they'd be popular to sustain general release.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I guess it makes sense that they wouldn't press discs infinitely, but these seem like they'd be popular to sustain general release.
Why not? I routinely buy CDs that have been out for 15 years and books that have been out for centuries. And considering that DVD doesn't even have a 50% market penetration yet, plenty of people would buy them in the future.

Unless there are further rights payments involved, I see no reason why anything should ever go out of print...

Ted

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
My guess, based on several years in the video retailing biz

Right now, the market for the older SEs has pretty much been saturated. While they continue to include the 2nd disc, they have to pay tons of royalties AND every time they repress they have to press 2 discs, which takes up a lot of time on the line.

SO they'll cut the second disc, and at some point in the future, 1-2 years down the line they'll repromote the 2 disc version when there are more new customers out there who may be interested

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I have one of the "Big Trouble" sets on hold at BB right now; gonna nab it this afternoon on the way home. Good timing, as it should qualify for BB's "10% off all action titles" sale for the holiday weekend.
Last copy they have, too. Thanks for the warning! I knew about FC & SoM, but not about this one. :frowning:

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I'm sure its the same rationale behind the Abyss SE and Cast Away 2-disc. Discontinue the 2-disc and reissue it as movie only in WS and PS for $19.99 list (meaning $15 retail).

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Right now, the market for the older SEs has pretty much been saturated. While they continue to include the 2nd disc, they have to pay tons of royalties AND every time they repress they have to press 2 discs, which takes up a lot of time on the line.

SO they'll cut the second disc, and at some point in the future, 1-2 years down the line they'll repromote the 2 disc version when there are more new customers out there who may be interested
That's pretty much spot on with my opinion on the situation.

Dan

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
By the way, DVDFile also reports that The Rocky Horror Picture Show will go on moratorium Nov 2 NOT to be replaced by a single disc version like the others.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Usually with the laserdiscs they would have both the collectors' editions (priced around $100) AND the movie-only editions ($40-50) available. Why not keep the DVD editions available at the $30 list prices and have the movie-only editions out for $20 at the same time? This doesn't seem to make much sense.

Tom Rhea

Second Unit
I've thought for a long time now how lucky I was to be in a position (financially and age-wise) near the start of dvd to be able to buy these things pretty much as they are released. I was a teenager in the late 70s and there were many albums released in the late 60s/early 70s that were either no longer available by the time I could buy them or were available only with altered packaging -- no gatefold cover, no poster or liner notes.

It does suck for future generations that the original versions of some these dvds will be either not around or extremely expensive. As Janis Joplin once said, get it while ya can.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Why not keep the DVD editions available at the $30 list prices and have the movie-only editions out for $20 at the same time? This doesn't seem to make much sense.
Well, they can release a one-disc fight club for $19.95 list and put it in cheaper packaging. The savings on packaging and the 2nd disc entirely probably gets them a higher margin than selling the SE.

They probably also figure that no one will spend $30 on an SE since the precedent has already been set. Most people expect to pay $20 for a DVD regardless of extras.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
One would hope that Sound of Music is being pulled to correct the poor transfer, but I frankly doubt that's the case.:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks