Fight Club, Big Trouble, Sound of Music Discontinued!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew_S, May 24, 2002.

1. Matthew_S

Matthew_S Second Unit

Just saw this over at dvdfile. Grab them while you can!

2. Richard Waller

Richard Waller Second Unit

I wish Fox would stop doing this. I feel sorry for the late-comers to DVD because they will most likely miss out on these wonderful special editions. Their only option will be eBay.

3. Matthew_S

Matthew_S Second Unit

4. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

How could they discontinue Fight Club. That is IMO, the best DVD out there right now. Shame.

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I just wonder what their reasoning is behind this. Are they planning a re-release of Fight Club?
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

6. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I can't see how that's possible. Fight Club is one of the most packed discs out there right now, so there's not much that they could even THINK about adding. Only thing I can think of is that they want to add a P&S transfer....

7. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

8. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Either that or a reprice with a new SKU.

9. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

So far as I can tell these are being replaced by dual one disk editions -- Pan & Scam or OAR.

I'm not too sure of the logic either... I guess they want to make sure that they don't wan't us to procrastinate in buying future 2 disk SEs. It certainly is effective psychologically -- I own none of these titles, but know I'm considering them...

Ted

10. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I've been on the fence about Big Trouble as I've never seen the film. Perhaps I should rent it soon to see if it needs to be in my collection.

I too wish that Fox didn't intend to discontinue titles. I guess it makes sense that they wouldn't press discs infinitely, but these seem like they'd be popular to sustain general release.

11. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

12. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

My guess, based on several years in the video retailing biz

Right now, the market for the older SEs has pretty much been saturated. While they continue to include the 2nd disc, they have to pay tons of royalties AND every time they repress they have to press 2 discs, which takes up a lot of time on the line.

SO they'll cut the second disc, and at some point in the future, 1-2 years down the line they'll repromote the 2 disc version when there are more new customers out there who may be interested

13. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I have one of the "Big Trouble" sets on hold at BB right now; gonna nab it this afternoon on the way home. Good timing, as it should qualify for BB's "10% off all action titles" sale for the holiday weekend.
    Last copy they have, too. Thanks for the warning! I knew about FC & SoM, but not about this one. [​IMG]

14. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

I'm sure its the same rationale behind the Abyss SE and Cast Away 2-disc. Discontinue the 2-disc and reissue it as movie only in WS and PS for $19.99 list (meaning $15 retail).

15. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

16. Patrick Larkin

By the way, DVDFile also reports that The Rocky Horror Picture Show will go on moratorium Nov 2 NOT to be replaced by a single disc version like the others.

17. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Usually with the laserdiscs they would have both the collectors' editions (priced around $100) AND the movie-only editions ($40-50) available. Why not keep the DVD editions available at the $30 list prices and have the movie-only editions out for $20 at the same time? This doesn't seem to make much sense.

18. Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea Second Unit

I've thought for a long time now how lucky I was to be in a position (financially and age-wise) near the start of dvd to be able to buy these things pretty much as they are released. I was a teenager in the late 70s and there were many albums released in the late 60s/early 70s that were either no longer available by the time I could buy them or were available only with altered packaging -- no gatefold cover, no poster or liner notes.

It does suck for future generations that the original versions of some these dvds will be either not around or extremely expensive. As Janis Joplin once said, get it while ya can.

19. Patrick Larkin

20. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

One would hope that Sound of Music is being pulled to correct the poor transfer, but I frankly doubt that's the case.[​IMG]