What's new

Fight Club Audio and Video Questions... (1 Viewer)

AbelM

Second Unit
1. Is the Optimode THX Audio just as good as any other VE or Avia?

2. What about the Video Calibrating part? Is that good enough to leave your t.v. settings on all the time? Not just for movies?

Ned

Supporting Actor
1. no

2. only if your dvd player *doesn't* have an ultra-black setting (0 IRE). If it does and you use it, regular cable tv/vhs will be too bright with those settings since they lack it.

3. buy Avia, thx optimode is a poor excuse for a calibration tool (hence free)

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
The THX optimode are optimized for each specific film. Hence, the optimode on Fight Club is meant for the Fight Club DVD only.

That being said, you *can* use the THX optimizer (as it's called now) as a rough guideline for calibration...

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
The THX optimode are optimized for each specific film. Hence, the optimode on Fight Club is meant for the Fight Club DVD only.
Are you sure? That doesn't seem to make sense. Why would the studios author different DVD to play optimally under different settings? Isn't there supposed to be ONE standard to which all discs adhere? Isn't that the reason we have calibration discs like VE and Avia in the first place? To calibrate your system to certain specs to get the most out of ALL your discs?

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
All films have specific look to them. Prior to DVD inception, it was hard to get that specific look. For The Matrix, you're supposed to have a green tint during the film. For My Father Is A Hero(The Enfocer U.S. title), its supposed to be blueish throughout the film. In the case of Fight Club, the film is very dark and the THX Optimizer included with the DVD set calibrates your television to the specific look of the film which is why you do not want to use Fight Club's THX optimizer as it will make your other films look dark. The same goes for Toy Story 2 where everything will be very bright afterwards.

ChristopherS

Second Unit
I am curious about something. I used Avia to set both my video and audio and I am quite happy with the results. I simply cannot imagine changing these settings every time I watch a movie. Avia is well laid out and does a fairly good job of explaining each test and setting but I would not want to have to re-do this everyday. It would simply be too time consuming. My question is, people who have calibrated their television sets with Avia or Video Essentials, do you use THX optimode (when it is included on a DVD) to change you settings for that particular movie?

Chris

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
Chris to answer your ? I do not. I simply used VE and stuck with those settings. It would be way to tideous to change the settings everytime I watch a movie.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I seem to rememeber reading somewhere that the optimode on FIGHT CLUB was somehow incorrect. Otherwise, I thought that ALL THX optimode calibrations were the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks