Fight Club / 12 Monkeys link?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carlo Medina, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Just watching Fight Club again (which I absolutely love), and I noticed that Tyler's early speech to "The Narrator" at the bar (after the apartment blows up) is very reminiscent of his speech as a crazy inmate in 12 Monkeys.

The part that goes "What are we for then? Consumers."

It's not exact word for word, but the spirit of the rant is the same. Anyone else catch this and agree? An homage, perhaps? (BTW, loved 12 Monkeys too)

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

That might have something to do with it. That specific scene was made just for the movie (it wasn't taken from the book)...and I remember in the commentary Brad Pitt saying something about improvising some of those lines, so it could be related.

3. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I suspect some unintentional reuse on Pitt's part. Hard to seperate yourself from such things of course.

And most likely he brought a lot of that to 12 Monkeys as well so that we are simply seeing Pitt's thinking/creation appear in both places.

It works well for both characters so I have no complaints with it (not that you do).

4. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

I've always thought there was a bizarre connection between some of the messages in these films. Despite Pitt's involvement, I expect its just a coincidence, since those passages were in the original script.
    Off topic: Seth! I had no idea you were 34! From your picture you look much, MUCH younger. (Whcih you may well have been at the time, I dont know). I hope this doesn't offend you. [​IMG]

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Also could have been an homage. Just read the IMDB listing for Fight Club and there's all sorts of references to Pitt/Norton/Carter's previous works.

And no, I have absolutely no problem with it. Just noticed it b/c I'm a huge fan of both movies and wondered if anyone else caught it or agrees with me.