What's new

FIFA World Cup - Germany 2006 (1 Viewer)

Jerry Almeida

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry Almeida

I was one of the people who said they support both the US and Mexico, and I have a pretty good explanation, I'm a Mexican-American. :D :P

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Some excellent choices Ricardo.
Amazing, amazing game. 3-2 IIRC. What made this one so enjoyeable was the RELENTLESS offence on both sides. It seemed like every 60s someone was attempting to score. EVERY Football game should be like that one.

--
H

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

Its really just Brazil and Argie as the class of the region (but damn! what class). The rest, including a much weaker Colombia than you probably remember, are no better than the top 6-8 CONCACAF sides IMO.

Andy

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

Thats cool. I think they are building a new stadium up there. Not sure if it will be ready for the start of the 2007 season or not.

Andy

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
My views of the Group round:
Group A

The Europeans should advance easily. Both Costa Rica and Ecuador will have trouble with the high balls into the box. Their game will be meaningless, but the Germany/Poland match will decide the group seeding. Germany should come out on top.

Group B

England has been a bit of a disappointment the last few times, but I still think that they should emerge on top in this group. I’m not too sure of Sweden, so I’ll pick Paraguay to wind up second. Trinidad and Tobago have no chance, even if they found a soccer Brian Lara.

Group C

Who knows? I’ll go with experience and pick traditional powers Argentina (first) and then Holland. Still in this group, it could be that neither of these teams will emerge and Serbia and Montenegro and the Ivory Coast will move on.

Group D

By getting a (generous) seed, Los Tricolores should qualify (but this is a bit risky as their number one goalkeeper has returned home due to the death of this father). The clear group favorite is Portugal and there really does not really seem to be much of a challenge to that.

Group E

Another tough group with a big fight among all the teams. The European teams are favored, but Ghana could surprise one of them, giving the US a chance to advance. The Italians ought to win the group and I’ll go with the Americans to also advance.

Group F

Here Brazil is an easy top pick. I don’t think that Australia has experience enough to advance and while Croatia could do well, I’ll go with Japan (perhaps remembering their performance at home).

Group G

And another pick for the former Asian co-hosts (South Korea) to advance, narrowly edging the Swiss. France should top the group.

Group H

Perhaps the easiest group to pick with Spain and Ukraine an easy one/two (in either order—but I’ll go with the Ukraine). The Saudis have no chance and Tunisia will be third since they get to play Saudi Arabia.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
Nice breakdown Lew.

Its interesting to note that while Mexico and Portugal have one of the easiest paths to the second round, they they will have to likely meet Holland/Argentina if all goes to form.

For you German/Costa Rican fans, some important news was just released. Ballack (by far and away the Germans best player) may not play in the opening game

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/060608/6/770v.html

Andy

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

To be fair, I have viewed a few Crew broadcasts on ABC and Fox, as well as matches featuring DC United (when Freddy Adu joined) and the LA Galaxy (after Landon Donovan signed with the team); the Crew-MetroStars game was the only one I've seen live. Whether the lack of excitement can be attributed to how the games are broadcast, the venues, the muted response from onlookers in attendance, the talent levels and playmaking abilities of the players themselves, how they're coached, some or all of these factors, it's hard to pinpoint; whatever the reason, I find it very difficult to watch any MLS game for an extended period of time, i.e. longer than 10 minutes. I'm aware that the clubs do not have the funds necessary to draw, much less sign top flight international talent, and until they find a way to do so, growth and awareness will be limited to local, rather than national interest. David Beckham has expressed some interest in joining a US club, with the hope of elevating the sport's profile in the US, but who can afford to pay the transfer fee to Real Madrid?

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

The league is putting all of its resources into stadiums for the near future. Once the current MLS stadium boom is finished, many feel that the next level of investment will go towards the players.

You might find this of interest concerning the type of player MLS may go after.
http://worldsoccer.about.com/b/a/257642.htm

Andy

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I liked Alex's fantasy setup but I also wanted to create a simple bracket challenge as well. If anyone's interested here's the link for the HTF group on ESPN's Germany Cup Pick'em:

http://games.espn.go.com/worldcup/gr...8&password=oar

Group ID: HTF
Password: OAR

I realize it's cutting it pretty close to the start of the first games but hopefully a few folks will have time to sign up.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I am completely clueless about the MLS, but I saw an awesome, Maradonnaesque goal last night on the Fox Soccer Channel top 10 goals of the week, from the Columbus Crew. Guy must have dribbled like 3 defendents before scoring.

About Alex's setup, I am really interested, never having done anything like that, I hesitate 'cause it will make it harder to avoid this thread till I get home in the evening to watch the matches.

I will only be reading this thread in the evening and early morning. I will have to stay away from news sites all day as well, and possibly stop listening to NPR on my evening commute. I don't know if I can do this guys :D

--
H

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

yah I have the same issue here. I probably won't get to post too much because I am tivoing all of the games to watch at night when I get home.

Andy

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

ok I made my entry.

One thing I am confused on. Can I change my picks at anytime up till game time or was my one submission it?

Andy

EugeneR

Second Unit

You're right, but I've seen a number of MLS games and their problems are manyfold for a fan used to watching games in a top league. First and foremost, the biggest problem with both MSL and US football in general is the lack of top-notch strikers. This makes for boring viewing as even in games where numerous offensive chances are created, chance after chanes goes by the wayside because of the lack of finishing skill on the part of the forwards. One of the best things about soccer is watching a natural scorer terrorize defenses and score spectacular goals. That simply doesn't exist in MLS. It is minor league soccer, and it's obvious.

Another problem is the fan support, or the lack thereof. I would never be a fanatical fan, but it certainly makes for a great atmosphere when the stands are full of passionate fans serenading their team throughout the game. In the MLS, the atmosphere is not there. Sometimes you can literally hear crickets.

Finally, the MLS is not given high priority on US TV, which means the production values are not there, and the broadcasters know little or nothing about the game and not only add nothing to the game, but detract from it. Overall, the MLS has nothing to offer me other than the ability to watch a team that's local. But why do I care if the teams are local? On my TV, Arsenal does not look to be any further away than the Galaxy. But, pardon the pun, skill wise they are in another galaxy.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
FWIW, I won't be following many of the games live either. I wont have updated scoring or any of that. I will probably tivo the bigger matches, probably all of the matches after the group play and watch them at night when I can fast forward through the commericals (doh !, there arent any).

Anyway, y'all should join. It wont spoil your ability to tivo and watch later.

Here is the info on the substitutions:
During the tournament you can make a maximum of 12 transfers, using up to 8 in Phase One, 4 in Phase Two and 4 in the Third Phase. But be warned, if you use all 12 in the first 2 phases, you won't have any left to use in the third and final phase when teams and players are getting knocked out of the tournament and transfers are more important than ever!

Transfers can be made at any time. Any transfers made after a scheduled kick-off/whilst a match is taking place will simply take effect for the next match.

That is not a lot of effort considering all the matches. 12 total ?! cmon. we only have 2 teams so far. we need some mo !

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Fellows, forgive my ignorance (not touched a VCR in about 7 years), can a VCR be setup to automatically record two or more non-adjacent programs in the same day?

I want to get a cheap-charlie VCR for the WC. I considered Tivo, terrific device, but I really, really have no use for it outside of this one occasion. I considered adding a Tuner Card to my PC as well, but in the end, for these next couple of weeks, a VCR with the above functionality will do.

So... do most VCRs work that way?

--
H

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

There are many different answers to your question.

First off, what is the source, cable or satellite?
Second, if cable, do you need a cable box to tune to the channels or could a cable ready device (such as a VCR) tune them in?

Andy

RichardK

Second Unit

Mexican-American here too. my wife is puro mexicana. I root for the US always against Mexico, but I'll root for Mexico in all other matches...and of course for the US against anyone.

I'll be watching tomorrow's opening game from the house in HD!

GO USA!

-RR

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

A possible move to the MLS by Ronaldo would be a tremendous asset not only to the club, but to the league as a whole. Consider me very interested. :emoji_thumbsup:

EugeneR

Second Unit
Ha! That's what you think. I thought the same thing until I got one. Now, like all other DVR owners, I can't imagine being without it. The mere ability to pause a live show, movie, etc. or rewind it if you missed something is worth it. I find myself wanting to rewind two or three seconds on my car radio all the time now and hate watching TV in my bedroom which doesn't have a DVR. I also record programs, which I never, ever did when I had a VCR because it was such a pain in the ass and now is just so damn easy.

That being said, if you insist on early 20th century technology, any VCR will do, but things may be complicated by whether you have to go through a satellite or cable box before plugging into the VCR or can just plug into a VCR directly. In any case, many cable/satellite boxes are designed to plug directly in a VCR for timed recordings.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
It is precisely because of the above that I have no desire to create this need for a PVR :). I am very much aware of the addictive convenience of such technology. But really, outside of these extremely rare occasions, I don't need it, and don't want to need it. I watch 3 weekly series (in the fall), my personal record. The only reason I have extended cable is because it's $10 over the internet bill.

The upfront cost (what, a couple hundred $$$?) for a PVR just isn't gonna work for me right now. Perhaps in a few months.

It's cable direct, no box.

I may simply borrow the damn thing (VCR) from a friend. I may actually have one collecting dust somewhere, I will brave that dusty closet over the weekend...

Thanks.

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks