What's new

FIFA World Cup - Germany 2006 (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The players of Côte d'Ivoire were excellent with the ball as well as tactical. They were slightly less in "finishing".

Our team is relatively young, with only a few older, experienced players. Our goallie Edwin van de Sar is considered by some as (one of) the best keeper(s) of the world at the moment.

Also, we had some luck occasionally, but, of course, that's all in the game.

We're through to the next round for sure already. The next game (against Argentina, who made meat of the teams they played against) will determine which position.

Cees

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
One can't really hope for a group play match to be as intense as an elimination round, but I hope Argentina vs. Holland will be even half as good as their '98 WC quarterfinal was...that was an extraordinary game, with Bergkamp's game winner being one of the all-time great goals. Obviously Cees will be hoping for the same result!

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

Haggai,

I am not expecting a great game for the following reasons

1) Holland and Argentina are already qualified for the 2nd round

2) They are not going to want to risk a red card or injuries and as such I would not be suprised to see massive line up changes for both sides

3) Unlike say the US group where coming in first is paramount to miss Brazil in the second round, the Holland/Argie group is likely to meet Mexico/Portugal(assuming things go to form) and there is not enough seperating those to teams to go all out to win the group.

That being said, certainly an exciting game can be played and I hope it will be. Also, if Angola or Iran can pull an upset or even grab a draw, that will unbalance things for the Argie/Holland group.

Andy

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Ah, I hadn't realized what you point out in item #3. That does lessen the importance of it somewhat for both teams.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Not to mention the fact that the beautiful wife of our Prince of Orange (who happens to be a big soccer fan) is of Argentinian descent.

:laugh:

Cees

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
I missed the second half of the Holland/Cote d'Ivoire game -- but that first half was just about the best football I've seen in this World Cup. This was GREAT play, man! Both teams were ROCKING!

I was hoping for a draw in this match, but I can accept the Dutch winning. They were the better team. But with a little luck...! Did you see that dipsy-doodle flip one Cote player made backwards over his head in the box! Wow!

Oh, and after being down 2-0, for Cote to come storming back -- I think the Serbian-Montenegran team needs to watch how a team with some REAL heart hangs in there!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
What a disappointing match for Mexico, although I'm sure that Angola is very pleased.

I too am not expecting too much from the Argentina v Holland match, and I think that both will play it very close to their chests. I’m also agreeing with all of Andy’s points, especially #3.

Even wih the blowout and even though I said that one could not really judge Argentina after that match, I’m still impressed with them. And ‘m remembering an earlier comment that ‘real’ football fans would not back Argentina because of their style.

Plenty of that on display today. We will see later on.

I’m having friends over to watch Italy v US tomorrow.

I hope that it does not turn into a wake.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Count me as one who's always thought "Group of Death" means 4 reasonably strong teams and anything could happen. After all, notionally in the usual scheme of things the minnows aren't expected to qualify, so if the recognised "fourth" team in the group has no chance to qualify because the other 3 are powerhouses, why is that situation worthy of comment, and an interesting moniker?

Hup Holland! Good game against Ivory Coast, I thought, and IC showed real spirit at the end, lats 10-15 mins, when they completely laid siege to the Dutch goal. Even though they're going out, I think they certainly gave a good account of themselves, and considering the age of most players, I'm sure they'll be back in 2010, and do even better, especially considering they'll have "home continent" advantage then.

Serbia, on the other hand, were pathetic.

One added wrinkle to the potential England v. Germany second round match-up: Group A plays earlier in the day when their final games are played, so by the time England kick-off against Sweden, they'll know who finished 1-2 in Group A, and therefore what they need "to do" to "select" either Ecuador or Germany as their second round opponents. Ironically, IMHO England would have a better chance against the Germans, who are firstly a relatively known quantity to them, and also because Ecuador are looking really good, they play a very attractive brand of fast attacking football down the wings, and England's fullbacks aren't exactly in top form -- Ashley Cole missed most of the EPL season with injury, Carragher whilst good isn't a conventional right-back and was standing in for Gary Neville. And the fullbacks don't get much protection either -- Beckham was never great defensively, and Joe Cole is even more lightweight from that perspective.

Not that it really makes a diference who they get, England looked rather clueless against T&T anyway and even if they get past Germany or Ecuador, I can't really see them going any further. Odd, considering the excellent individual talent available to Sven, but I'd say that just shows how overrated Sven is to begin with.

Alex-C

Screenwriter

Couldnt agree more. No matter what my heart wants to say, England doesnt look like a team that could get past either Germany or Ecuador.

US loses tomorrow. See you in South Africa boys.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Ghana helps the US by beating the Czech Republic—but perhaps it would have been better (from a US perspective) had they only scored once. This makes Group E the first to make all of the round 3 matches important to all four sides.

Brilliant goalkeeping by the Ghana keeper. I thought that the Czech Republic was a bit unlucky to get a red card, but perhaps I need the explanation.

Next up: US v Italy.

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
Still a pretty slim chance for the US. But at least there's some ongoing action in this Group.

Ujfalusi knocked down Amoah in the Czech box to earn a red card. And then Amoah hits the post on the penalty kick! Ah!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The US will be in good position with a win (all teams knotted at 3 points), in control of their own fate with a draw, and can still get through with some help even should they lose.

A bit more than a slim chance, but they have to play well against Italy.

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
A win against Italy seems pretty slim, though. The US would have to step up mightily for a draw today, I think. Maybe they'll be more loose because they have less pressure, less to lose? But they still face a rockin' Ghana up ahead!

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
The best hope for the US is to squeeze out a draw vs. Italy, and to then totally demolish Ghana so that they can advance thanks to the goal differential. But after Ghana's performance today, it's not looking good for the Americans.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
That red card on Mastroeni was UTTER BULLSHIT! A yellow card, yes, no doubt about that, but giving him a red for that foul was as blatant and unjustified of a "make-up call" as I've ever seen. You're supposed to make-up for MISTAKES, not penalize a team with a horrible call after issuing an entirely justified red-card against the other team!

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
A fitful, furious first half for the US against Italy. The Ghana win must have energized them. They came out strong, quite aggressive, and broke up Italy's game. Not enough to score or to keep Italy from scoring against them, though. But then they get even with an own-goal and get a man advantage, until... the end! Red card, and now the second half can be played even.

I'm still betting on Italy because their guns haven't even loaded yet. But ya gotta be proud that the US hasn't folded. Lotta pride there!

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
The US have done far better than I expected, and I'm rooting for them to pull an upset, but I do think Mastroeni earned his red card. A tackle like that while on your opponent's end of the field? Sheer overkill, and a very dumb move.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks