What's new

Fidek fan noise fix (1 Viewer)

JasonWaddington

Stunt Coordinator
I dont know..

I used a 50ohm and a 10ohm resistor together and the fan turns on most of the time I turn the amp on, but not everytime. what the hell is the deal with my amp? its like it is possessed.

Claude M

Stunt Coordinator
if it's AC then the diode is a clipper, and it could be your fan is unable to get rolling on half the VAC. if you gave it a push by hand, would it start then?

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
You can solve your problem easily and quickly by just leaving the amp on. Mine is on 24/7 for 2 years now.

Mike

JasonWaddington

Stunt Coordinator
it doesnt waste any power or detract from the amp's shelf life? There really arent any negative side effects of leaving it on constantly?

Also, I have it hooked up to 90ohms now and it is extremely quiet. I can hear a small amount of noise if i try to hear it from my listening position if there is no sound elsewhere in the room. There is a very small breeze coming out of the back of the amp. Is this enough circulation or should I step it back up to 80 ohms? How much should I hear it before it becomes harmful to the amp due to heat? Should I just do trial and error? How much heat is acceptable and which part should I feel for heat, the big black rectangle?

Walt N

Second Unit
I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it on 24/7 with a modded fan. Will it start reliably with 50 ohms? You may not be able to get it completely quiet, but it should be somewhat quieter that way.

JasonWaddington

Stunt Coordinator
Well I just realized that for any ohmage over 50 I have to start the unit twice to get it to work. I also realized that 100ohms is the equivalent to the 12v diode. I am going to use resistors because they are already insulated.

The question now is...Is a speed that slow enough to cool the amp? The fan IS very quiet (i'm talkin almost inaudible, unless i am close), but also very slow and doesnt circulate very much air (it does a little, i feel some breeze coming out the back). Mike? Is it safe? especially at leaving it on 24/7? I hope it is because that would be awesome!

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I cant tell you what is safe or not safe, that is for you to decide. It wouldnt be prudent of me to offer advice that could come back to bite me on the ass :)
I will tell you that mine (the one modded in the link above) stays on all the time and it has been on 24/7 for 2 years now.
It barely gets warm even when driving a full load like Lord of the Rings. If you can play a bass heavy CD for 20 minutes and then touch the black tunnel comfortably....it is running cool enough. I can hear my fan running from 1 foot away but no farther.
I am driving four 15" drivers in an infinite baffle configuration with mine. I previously drove a 48" tall, 24" diameter sonotube with two 12" drivers in it.
Mike

JasonWaddington

Stunt Coordinator
I put in the 100ohm resistor and it is running very quiet. Almost too quiet for comfort, but its better than having a really noisy fan i guess.

I can barely feel air coming out the back and almost no air anywhere else, not even in front of the fan(maybe slightly), and the fan makes almost no noise(much more than 2/3 quieter than before). Is this right?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.