fibre optic adapters/converters available?

htbuff

Auditioning
Real Name
Gurmail
Hi everyone,

I have a question relating to signal transmission. When my home theater wiring was done, about 5 years ago, the installers routed coaxial, cat5e, and fibre optic through the ceiling to where the projecter was to eventually installed. Now, 5 years later, I have bought an Infocus DLP projector that will accept either component (ie 3 wire) or a dvi input, but I have neither of those wires there. I would prefer to run the projector using component, rather than dvi inputs, if possible.

So my question is, am I going to have to fish new wires through the ceiling joists to run this projector? Or, is there something available that can convert the video coming out of my receiver as a component signal, to fibre optic so I can use my existing fibre optic cabling to transmit it to the projector, and then convert the signal back again to a component output at the projector end?

Thanks for any help.

htbuff

htbuff

Auditioning
Real Name
Gurmail
Thanks very much Jeremy for your reply.

I had a home theater guy come by today to look at it and he told me much the same, ie easiest to simply lay new wires.

But he did say that for the 480p that my projector puts out (it is an Infocus 4805), new wiring may not be necessary and that we could use the existing cat5e to carry the video signal, and that if and when I later upgrade the projector to something better, we could worry about laying new wire (hdmi or whatever) at that time.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
You can also get fairly simple adapters to run component video over UTP cable (such as your Cat5), although there may be some signal degradation due to noise.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rolynarole