Fiberwire

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by MarshallSlate, Aug 17, 2003.

1. MarshallSlate

I know absolutely nothing about speakers, someone told me that the mode DTS on my reciever wont work unless i have fiberwire and that it wont sound good unless i get fiberwire now i have no idea what i have its just...wire i guess, and i've noticed in movies instead of things goin around in a circle it will go from my right speaker to my center to my left, then hit the back speakers and the sametime and come to the front again?? i've got a Yamaha HTR-5640 reciever and Athena Speakers.

2. MarshallSlate

In other words do i need fiberwire to have true digital sound?

3. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

I'm guessing that the person is referring to an optical wire. You do need a digital connection from DVD to receiver, but it doesn't need to be with the optical connection. If you look at the back of your DVD player and receiver, you'll see a "digital audio" section, with optical and coaxial. You need to use one of these to have DD and DTS, otherwise you're only using DPL. I suggest getting a coaxial cable, since they are usually cheaper (you can use a regular (yellow) video cable). And the coaxial sounds just as good, if not better.

Do a search for digital connections in this section, or in the Primer for more info.

4. MarshallSlate

What about the wires going from the speakers to the reciever, do those need to be special or better then what i have (im guessing its called copper wire)

5. MarshallSlate

ok here's how my whole thing is set up from my dvd player to my reciever, i got 2 sets of monster cables, one is going from Component Video Out on the dvd player to Component Video on my reciever, the other is going from Line Out on my Dvd player to Audio L and R, i found a thing on the bottom left of my reciever that has two sections, coaxil and optical on the optical side there's 2 plugs for main, rear and subwoofer and on the left there's this black thing you can pull out that has a red light in it? it says optical right over it, and there's the samething on my dvd player, so how do i rearrange everything so it's where it should be and doin the best it can do?

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Marshall:

Optical and coaxial connections are for transmitting digital audio signals from a DVD player to a processor.

Component-video connections (Y/PbPr) are for transmitting color-difference video information from a source (DVD player, HD tuner/decoder, DBS box, D-VHS player) to your display (best to connect directly from the source unit to the display unit).

By "fiberwire" I assume you're referring to Firewire? That's a digital connection as well. From what you are describing about your situation, it's irrelevant.

JB

7. MarshallSlate

Ok well now im just posting like a madman but i cant help it, my reciever has modes and sub-modes or whatever you call them, like in DTS it will have Neo 6: Cinema and Neo 6: Music, Enhanced, Pro logic, Pro Logic 2: movie, Pro Logic 2: Music, under entertainment there's 6ch Stereo, Game, Disco, under Movie Theater there's Spectacle, Sci-fi, Adventure, General, then there's TV Theater which has Variety, Sports and Mono Movie the rest of the modes without sub-mode things are Jazz Club and Music Video, Rock Concert and Concert Hall. now none of these sound good at all, when i watch movies, play games or listen to music i put it on 6ch stereo cause atleast then i can hear the back speakers without putting my ear up to them although its just the samething comming out of every speaker, and with Neo 6: Cinema i...which im told is the best mode on the reciever, there's no booms, i dont have a subwoofer yet but the floorstanding do have woofer sin them, its...uh...its quite discouraging, i fiddle every 2 seconds i dont even get to sit down and watch a movie cause im always changing it around and i end up......pissed, ohh ohhhh and dont get me started, when i play video games 50db is loud enough any louder then that is disturbingly loud, but on cinema i can get movies down to like 25db before its like alright..i can keep it at this, but there's still little booms unless a friggin A-bomb goes off, i need serious help with this.

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

You only hear sound from the rear speakers when there is information going into those channels. Some films, even though they may have a 5.1-channel track, simply don't have much information going to the rears.

Those ambience modes you describe are electronic sound gimicks for "tailoring" a Dolby PLII signal. Of dubious quality.

Please read the Home Theater Primer and FAQ posted permanently at the top of the Basics-area page.

9. MarshallSlate

alright i'll read this primer thing and get back to yah