What's new

fiber optic converter (1 Viewer)

BigBssj5

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
So I'm trying to hook my blue ray DVD player to my surround sound. Problem is I don't have a hdmi or fiber input in the surround sound. I know they have converters to allow RCA and component cables to hook up tvs w/o said inputs, so my question is do they have something to convert my fiber optic signal to a RCA? Sound quality not a huge issue. Thanks in advance!!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The Blu Ray player doesn't have a digital coax output? I'm surprised. What is the make the model of the player? And the receiver?

Regards,

Joe

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the forum Chris.

It’s the receiver inputs that are missing Joe, which brings up the question: “what inputs does your receiver have, and what is the make and model of your receiver?” Even my pretty old receiver has two optical and one coax input.

Don’t confuse component connections with anything audio. Component connections are strictly for video. If your receiver does not have any type of digital, audio input, it might have analog 5.1 inputs. If so there are products that will convert the single digital signal to multiple analog ones. If your receiver has neither digital audio inputs nor 5.1 analog ones, then it is not a surround system in today’s sense, but probably an older stereo receiver.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Actually, that isn't clear from the problem description, which is pretty vague. Chris seems to think that the only two digital audio options are HDMI and fiber - both of which are presumably output options on the Blu Ray player. He may have both a digital coax output on the Blu Ray and a digital coax input on the receiver and just not realize it. Hence the request for the model and serial number.

Regards,

Joe

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Sounds too me that not only does he have a problem with the possible lack of a fiber connection, the t.v. may not be have component video for HD. But some clarity from Chris would be helpful so we can help him.

BigBssj5

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Thanks for you guys help!!! So I'm trying to hook up my PS3 to my home theatre system.. My TV accepts HDMI so i have sound and video going through my TV.. Problem is my TV doesn't send the sound signal of Component or HD inputs to my system. So to allow me to use the theatre system w/ a blue ray dvd i need a converter..
Since my TV is using the HDMI, my other output is Fiber Optic (w/o changing the DVD output to something else. Picture quality more important then sound). So i want to use the HDMI to send video and Fiber Optic for audio. I have a left and right audio inputs on my theatre system, so i would like to know if there is something out there to change from Fiber Optic to left and right audio.. My theatre system is a Sony DAV-DX225.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I'm not sure what this means, and when you're talking about inputs and outputs, it isn't clear which component you are mean. (The fact that you still haven't given the model number of your TV is not helping.)

Does your sound system have more than one digital input? Why not run the sound to the receiver and the video to the TV?

Sorry, but I'm still not getting a clear picture of what your connection options are, and exactly what you're trying to accomplish.

Regards,

Joe

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The problem Joe, is that this Sony HTIB has only internal connections to handle the digital audio (the DVD player and receiver are integrated). The only external audio inputs are R/L RCA.'

There is not simple way to do what you would like to do—this is the lowest priced option that might suit your needs. You want something like this Chris:

Digital S/PDIF to Analog LR Stereo Audio Converter DAC - eBay (item 160230218926 end time Apr-24-08 14:58:22 PDT)

Not trying to criticize your choice, but upgrading these packaged systems is frequently a problem.. You might think about spending your money on a low-end receiver that will allow you to connect your speakers to the receiver. Then you will have no problem in connecting your PS3 to the receiver.

The PS3 will also play DVDs and CDs--but if you go the conversion route, you will both pay the money and not get any better auido than stereo. If you begin to replace your HTIB you can realize everything you need.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
So you are trying to connect PS3 to a home theater in a box system that only has analog stereo RCA inputs? What's the deal with converting the Toslink, why wouldn't you simply just run the RCA stereo analog output from the PS3? The PS3 has an "AV multi out" connector, it should have come with a cable that attaches to that and has stereo audio (and composite video) on the other end. All the DD/DTS/etc. formats will be downmixed to a stereo surround mix, essentially you get Dolby Pro-logic.

Trying to convert the Toslink is a waste of time & money, you need a new receiver if you want DD/DTS etc. native.

Cheermay

Auditioning
Real Name
Cheermay
Blu ray converter can easily convert blu ray dvd/common dvd/DVD IFOfile/DVD folder/DVD ISO file to most common Video, HD Video, Flash Video,iPod, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, PSP/PS3, Creative Zen, BlackBerry, Zune,Xbox, Mobile Devices, Archos, Common Audio, Supported Portable Devices.

Editing funcionts like trim and crop DVD/ Blu-Ray clips, customize profile list and different watermarks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babarrun
Recent bookmarks