Fiber optic cables

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sacha_C, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

I read that you shouldn't bend fiber optic cablse to much because the light wont eb anle to go through, but how much is too much? Obviously the cable has to make some turns to get from one component to the other unless they are back to back which is never the case.

Could anyone explain how much is too much? I show a picture of what is an acceptable curve?

Thanks

2. MikeTz

MikeTz Stunt Coordinator

I have seen fiber optic cables that had service loops before they reached their destination and there was no problem in transmitting the data. I use fiber optic cable in my system that requires several bends before reaching its destination and have never had an issue with data quality.

If your equipment is in a typical rack and you run the fiber optic cable from a component on one shelf to a component on another shelf, you should have no trouble.

MT

3. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

Actually I will be connecting my PC to the receiver with are on 2 seperate shelfs side by side about 6 feet away.

4. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

I believe minimum bend raduis is 6 inches. Hook up a scope or tester and you see changes with sharp bends.

But for home audio, don't worry about it.

[​IMG]