What's new

FIA turns Formula 1 rules upside down! (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
http://www.fia.com/homepage/selection-a.html
http://www.itv-f1.com/news/news_story/13899
To summarize, in 2003 we are only looking at zero-tolerance enforcement, to the letter, of the rules. But that will result in the following:
No telemetry between car and pit.
No spare car.
Cars impounded between qualifying and race.
No traction/launch control (might wait until 2004).
But other, MAJOR rules changes (like standardized brakes, standardized wings, single-engine rules, and requiring manufacturers to supply engines to 'third party' teams) are in the works for the next few years.
I say about time. The cost savings must be made if F1 is to survive. And I predict this will also make for better sport.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
No spare car? That's a little bizarre, it's going to hurt BAR particularly as Villeneuve likely won't be able to compete in half the races after wadding his car up in practice ;) Although likely they mean no spare chassis, but the teams can bring all the body work, wings and suspension parts as they want. I wonder if this will extend to the teams opting for Friday morning practice sessions? No third car would negate the advantage of doing that as there would be no car for the test driver.
I'm all for cost cutting, but I'm a little wary of things like standard wings, its seems a little amateurish to me. On the other hand they can't spend millions on CFD simulations of tiny changes to the areo package I suppose.
I'm all in favor getting rid of pit to car telemetry, launch control & traction control though.
No pit to car radio won't stop Ferrari managing the outcome of races, they'll just put "PULL OVER" on Reubens' pit board :D

DeT

Agent
Am I the only who feel that F1 is so boring now that its not worth an hour of my time watching it ? to add to that, "slow down Ruben, let Michael through" :frowning: What else is there to watch ?!
I could watch FIA World Rally all day though :)

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
This might actually increase interest in F1 here in the states. IMO the biggest problem has been overwhelmingly dominant teams. No need to tune in, you pretty much know who is going to win before the race begins. I may actually watch a race or two this season.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
So in other words they are cutting technology down to give people that can't keep up a better chance. How long before they make everyone use the exact same chasis and engine design. Might as well put them on just ovals.

I think its weak. Sounds like the teams that suck complain so they get rules put in instead of spending more money and hiring smarter people to compete better.

oh wait, they are going to share engines eventually:

From 2004, car manufacturers involved in Formula 1 will also be ordered to supply engines to all competing teams, possibly obliging the likes of Mercedes, BMW and Honda to provide power units to a second team.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I agree with you Mike, but unfortunately right now the economy is catching up with F1, the sponsors are less and less willing to shell out the sort of money needed to fund a decent F1 effort. Cost-cutting is a necessity right now, but hopefully when money loosens up they can get back to business as usual. BTW these rules come from "Mad" Max Mosley not the teams, Mosley has had a history of bad ideas and seems to be out doing himself with multi-race engines and spec wings.

I love the technical aspects of F1, but I do think things like traction control, launch control and two-way telemetry should be controlled to preserve a balance between technology and driver skill.

The answer to F1's problems (perceived or otherwise) is not to degenerate into a series in which "anyone" can win, its supposed to be a competition that rewards excellence, not entertainment for short attention span types where the result is a lottery (they already have NASCAR).

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Spare cars are allowed for Friday.

I'm not saying I agree with all the planned (of course some of these might change) future rules changes, but something had to be done. If any additional teams folded, a domino effect would start as the remaining teams are required to share the budget of a subsidized replacement team. Ford isn't willing to spend additional money on Jaguar, and many of the smaller teams can't afford any additional money on anything. More and more teams would fold and the whole thing would collapse. Cost control is the only hope for the future of F1, at least for the next few years.

And if the racing becomes more competitive, all the better.

Let's see what happens this year, first. If everybody has already been playing fair, this should have little affect on who the strong teams are.

Mario Bartel

Stunt Coordinator
Am I the only who feel that F1 is so boring now that its not worth an hour of my time watching it ?
I've been religiously tuning in to SPEED's broadcasts of last year's F3000 races; now THAT'S racing! Young, brash, fearless drivers, multiple racing lines, passing galore, battles for the lead right to the finish line; in other words, everything that F1 isn't. Can't wait for them to start their live/same-day coverage this season!

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Don't forget about DTM. Those guys aren't shy about making any moves...definitely race first, pick up the peices later.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I wonder how in practice the "supply engines to 3rd parties" rule is going to work? Ferrari or BMW, for example, might quote an impossibly high price, and no one would bite.

in a sense, there is some 3rd party supply going on, after all Ferrari supply the last season's engines to Sauber. should be interesting amongst the "second division" in 2003, seeing as Sauber will be getting Ferrari's excellent 2002 engine.

but yes, it seems too much of a "handicap the leader" thing. what the powers that be seem to forget is that these things come and go, just a few years ago McLaren won something like 15 of 16 races, more or less equivalent to Ferrari last year, but no one suggested that major overhauls were necessary. or does the overall economic slowdown have everyone running scared?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Yee-Ming,

I honestly believe this is not to handicap the leader. If two teams hadn't gone out of business in the last year, this would not be happening.

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, this is all about cost-cutting. With the loss of Prost and Arrows, and Minardi and Jordan right on the edge of bankruptcy, something needed to happen.

I think most of the new rule enforcements are good ones and should result in better racing also. What surprised me is that the team bosses have all come out in support of the new regs - I thought there'd be a chorus of whining for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks