What's new

FFXI opening trailer at Gamespot (1 Viewer)

Matt MacFarlane

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know how long its been out, but I found out today that the opening trailer was available for download at
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/misc/downloadcenter/
The opening is amazing and now I want the game more than ever. I can't wait until it comes out this winter. Some people have said that they don't want to shell out the extra money for the modem, the hard drive and the additional monthly fee to play, but from what I have seen so far, FFXI looks like it will definitely be worth it.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I've heard the OST, and its OK. It's not stellar, but like FFX, it will probably be better in the context of the game.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The thing is, you would probably end up using the PS2 upgrades (HDD and network adapter) for games besides just FFXI. The idea is that it will be the "push" for you to buy them, not the sole reason.

ChristopherS

Second Unit
What is the price of the Sony hard drive and NIC (or is it a modem?)? If it is very reasonable (less than $75 for both) I can see people snapping them up. If they do not sell well it is going to be a developers nightmare designing games for differing PS2 configurations.

Chris

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Christopher,
Right now the price for the network adapter (56k modem and broadband adapter in one) for the PS2 is 39.99:
Link Removed
The price for the PS2 HD in Japan is around 85-100 US dollars. Though supposedly the HD is very scarce in JP. No pricing has been announced for the US version as of yet so we will have to wait and see what Sony announces.
I think we will see a bundled PS2/Network adapter/HD from Sony here soon after the PS2 goes online. More than likely it will be priced at around 279.99 or 299.99. It will be the best way for Sony to insure they get a good amount of these peripherals out there and to insure developer support. (Though at this point in the game Sony already has the developer support)

ChristopherS

Second Unit
Romier,

I would also hope that they offer a bundled price for people who buy both units but already own a PS2. I personally find $125US ($40 Modem/NIC plus $85 Hard Drive) a bit much to swallow (plus you still need to buy the game). Maybe I am just cheap but I bought a console so I would not get sucked into the endless upgrades.

Chris

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The thing is, you don't use the HDD and network adapter (its a BB and 56k modem in one unit) for just ONE game, but for MANY games (or so Sony says).

I don't want to end up paying for online games, but there are some good-looking games with online modes coming out (where the online is free).

Oscar_R

Second Unit
folks, the hard drive is a peripheral.

all peripherals die an early death. they always do.If the functionality isn't built in right off the bat like the x-box, forget about it.

ChrisV

Second Unit
Yikes! That's around $200 CAD, approximately the price of a GameCube. That's not a tough choice, especially when my Xbox already has both a HD and network adapter on board.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
So then don't buy them. Its as simple as that. You need the network adapter to play games online (unless future games support USB adapters, like THPS3) but you only need the HDD for some games.

Compared to the last generation of consoles, not having these built-in but having them at all is an evolution. Online isn't going to be big until the next generation, which is why Sony and Nintendo didn't include modems with their consoles. Nintendo has a very "sit back and watch" attitude because they don't see it taking off just yet.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
It's all about the software. People like me will pay whatever it takes to play FFXI.

BTW: the Network Adapter will cost $39 and the HD will cost $79.

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
Romier, what is with that dancing Spidey image in your sig?! Its scarey!
also, just a side point. Has anyone noticed how freaking fast the download is with that Gamespot download utility they make you install to get the intro?
Here is a ss, and Im just using Comcast Cable Modem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks