What's new

FFX-2: More Tasty Goodness (1 Viewer)

JamieD

Supporting Actor
The real gamers
Man, I hate that type of statement. I played many RPGs before FFVII, including FFIV, FFVI, and Mystic Quest, the Breath of Fire games on SNES, Chrono Trigger, and a few others (including Phantasy Star on an emulator). However, I still think that VII is my favourite. Does that mean I think others are wrong who think otherwise? No, and I won't make general, sweeping statements about those who might believe that.

But that's off-topic. Back on-topic, I must say that I am disappointed in hearing the only three characters are the initial three.. :frowning:

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Sure the graphics aren't great, but gameplay's key and I'd rather play any of the SNES FF games versus the newer PSOne/2 versions.
You took the words out of my mouth.

As for this installment, sounds like a skipper for me - or, maybe a rental if I remember the next time I go to Blockbuster. All this talk of dance music and seemingly re-imagined characters has pushed me away. I'll keep my eye on reviews and whatnot, but I'm not expecting anything special.

But, FF has been pretty hit or miss for me since the SNES days...the low point being Looney Tunes IX, so I'm used to it.

JQ

Troy_M

Stunt Coordinator
Man, I hate that type of statement.
Jamie....no need to get sensitive. FFVII is preferred by a lot of gamers over all the others. I am just stating my opinion as a 'real' gamer:D. Anyway, I think that FFVI just had a better story, better music, and better graphics(JJ on the graphics :D ).I love all the FFs, except for FFVIII which I feel was a waste of my time after the first 5hrs. FFVII was good to me but not the 2nd coming like people made it out to be. I just hope FFX-2 ends up being like FFX. In that I mean, a lot of importers and foreign gamers dissed FFX before it came out in the states and talked about how crappy blitzball was(which it was) and how it ruined the game and how it(FFX) was too linear. I will admit, I'm not a big fan of cgi cutscenes when they are overused(cough....Xenosaga....cough), but I feel that FFX had great music, an interesting story, a perfect amount of cutscenes, and a pretty big quest for being somewhat linear. The bottom line was that FFX was fun to me and although it was linear, it was pretty epic; we all know that square can make a nonlinear RPG, so I won't discredit them for a minute. I do like the option of being able to go where ever I want in FFX-2 in the airship from the start...that brings back the great exploration elements that the games of old had.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I dunno, but I've been playing FF games since 7 (a friend got me into it then) and then I got FF Anthology, and of FF5-10, my favorites are probably 8 and 9. Both games have very good stories in different ways (8's is complex and has a lot of strange twists, but the love story portion of it was pretty good, and the ending was amazing; 9's is more lighthearted and happy, and the characters were very well done). I also liked the battle systems of both games. In 8, you could become unstoppable halfway through the second disc if you knew what you were doing. Is that a lot to ask of normal gamers? Yes, but not of fans of the series.

Overall, I felt 7 was OK, but that some of 7's strongest points were done better in 6, 8, and 9 (except the Materia system, it's probably the BEST battle system of any FF game).

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Until I find a satisfactory proof of the physical universe and what we typically call "reality", I prefer to think of myself as an unreal gamer. :)

"True fans", "real gamers"....blech...

-Dave

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
the characters were very well done
Phew, gonna disagree with this one too. The only reason Zidane was an interesting character was because he lacked the whole "woe is me the reluctant adventurer" issue that Cloud and Squall had. The only character I found halfway interesting was Vivi.

I don't like 8 and 9 because the battles (the actual 'game' portion) are too freakin' slow. It doesn't matter if you bump the battle speed up to max, people still take so freakin' long to do anything that it's insane. For all that I am no FFX fan, I do give them major applause for addressing this one issue at least.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I don't like 8 and 9 because the battles (the actual 'game' portion) are too freakin' slow
I agree, actually, though I think the battle systems were well designed. Had there been an option to reduce the speed some attacks took, it would have helped.

Though if you're going to watch a battle, you should WATCH a battle. If you want the game to just be a bunch of choices to make really fast, then play a PnP game or text RPG. In FF games, part of the appeal is watching the visuals. Some things, like summons (mainly GFs in 8), are a little too much and they should be shorter or at least have the option to shorten them available, but for most other attacks, it's not that big of a deal, at least for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks