What's new

Few Questions..... (1 Viewer)

Michael Young

Stunt Coordinator
1st Question:
I re-read my Receiver Manual for like the 8th time, and noticed something about my optical inputs. My Sony STR-DB940 has 3 optical inputs and 1 coax. The DVD one is Coax or Optical and the book says this one is compatible for 96kHz,48,44.1 and 32. All other optical inputs only go up to 48. I have always had the DVD player plugged into another one but swapped it immediatly. Are there any DVD's using 96kHz??? or is this move pointless...

2nd Question:
I have a Mitsubishi 48" Platinum Plus Intergrated HDTV Rear Projector. I keep it properly calibrated using the Avia disk, and converge frequently. I noticed that Black Enhancement is turned on under video/audio options. Should I turn this off???

3rd Question:
On my DENON 910 DVD player, it has an audio option call LPCM SELECT (Default Off). It says Set to ON when outputting in 48kHz. If you select OFF, copyright protection will be activated and sound will be downsampled at 48kHz. Why is the Default OFF then??? Should I have this ON?? and what is this setting exactly??

If needed I will make this 3 posts, but I figured you all prefer it this way???

Michael Young

Stunt Coordinator
I have another Question regarding Dolby Digital D. Range Compression setting on my receiver. I have it set to STD "standard" and the manual says this is recommended to sound like the recording is intended.

MAX makes it low volume soundtrack for listening at night or something.

I would think OFF is best though?? or do you want some Drange compression??

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’m not sure of all of the Dynamic Range Compression (DRC) settings in your Sony, but as far as I am aware, the intended recording reproduction is to use no compression technique in your receiver.

Your intuition is correct.

Basically DRC makes the soft sections louder and the loud sections softer, resulting in a more uniform sound level output. This way you won’t have to turn up the volume to hear the soft passages and then get a very loud sounds during explosions, crashes and so forth. MAX (or similar) settings do this the most and OFF won’t do it at all. It is useful for listening at night when others are sleeping, but for most purposes I would recommend OFF.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Yes, there are, but they have predominantly been audiophile products. Read the following for details:

http://www.soundstage.com/editrl/edit75.htm

I have a few of the Classic Records DADs and they are in fact currently on sale at classicrecords.com for 40% off regular price (this also noted in the above linked article). A few of the notable releases include the Gershwin and Ravel complete works and Sarah McLachlan's "Touch."

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
As for the DRC option, I guess I don't understand why the STD option would have any compression. When doing the mix, wouldn't the engineer just set the intended range, without the user having to adjust the DRC?

It seems to me that STD (standard) doesn't make any sense as a DRC setting.

--Nathan

BrianWH

Agent
I doubt that most people could actually hear the difference between 48 and 96kHz audio. This approaches the levels most humans can't detect.

Brian

Michael Young

Stunt Coordinator

This is why I left it on STD for so long I guess. Overall the Sony Manual doesn't mention much about Best settings for intended sound, instead it likes to mention all these "Use This" for best sound, even though its overly done, like its sound settings.

Now I guess Im anxious to hear answers on my 2nd and 3rd Question. Overall Im turning off Drange compression, and I won't worry about using the DVD port for the added 96Khz.

Thanks for the heads up too, interesting article on the DAD Dvd's

Michael Young

Stunt Coordinator
Okay I know bumping isn't allowed, but almost 190 views and no answers to my questions on LPCM Select or Black Enhancement....

So I now ask, mods what shall I do?? repost in seperate threads?? repost certain questions to various sections of the forum??

Im just wondering how to get these very specific questions answered.. or do I need to post more info??

BTW D Range OFF is a huge difference.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I would set the LPCM to "ON," which would maximize products like the DADs. I looked at the online PDF of the DVD-910 manual and I wonder if the first part stating "turn on for 48kHz" is a typo and should be 96kHz.

The specs on Denon say the player has 24/192 Burr Brown DACs and "Selectable 24 bit, 96 kHz PCM output pass-through capability." This seems to suggest a typo even more.

The reason it's set to "Off" by default seems like a copyright, "let's cover our butts," decision. Read this for some history about copyright flags for 96kHz content.

http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/myths/dvdaudio.html

On my first player I had to use the analog outs to listen to my DADs without player downsampling using digital outs. My understanding is now most current models will pass 96 kHz digitally. This is basically a two channel version of the current multichannel, analog-output-only situation with DVD-A and SACD.

As far as the black level, that's a tough one without knowing what the company means by "enhancement" and even an analysis of the black level with a waveform monitor. I know with some DVD players that sport similar language, this has meant true black level according to NTSC specs. My instinct is to turn on the enhancement to get true black.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks