What's new

few questions about sub...... (1 Viewer)

John Roger

Stunt Coordinator
What is the difference between adjusting the bass level knob on the sub and the sub volume on the reciever?

Do we require different subs for different room sizes?There are different types of subs like bottom firing,side firing etc.My sub mostly sounds boomy(no solid punch).Is it due to the sub or the room?
Sony 8" 100W sub, staight firng. My room is small.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
John Roger,

When calibrating a sub, I try to leave sub level at half to three quarters of the receiver's range, and use the gain on the sub's amp from there. Real world conditions may cause this to change (for instance, if your sub does not "wake up" when in auto mode, you might need to turn up the sub level even higher, and the gain down). I try to avoid having any setting at its extreme.

The bigger the room, the more sub you will need (that's a gross simplification, but basically true).

There could be a host of reasons for a "boomy" sounding sub, but in this case the most likely culprit is the sub itself (Sony is not known for world class subwoofers).

-Robb

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Velodyne, HSU research, SVS are all pretty popular 'round these parts

Just remember that like all things you get what you pay for. :)

Johnny_M

Second Unit
i replaced my sony with this...

Athena

it has a very tight punch to it. i have a large oddly shaped room and it fills it very nicely.

Johnny

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
Johnny,
You may want to search through some previous posts on Sony subs. In the past there was mention of minor modifications that helped eliminate the boominess. The modifications generally were to open up the box and fill it with poly-fil, or other insulation.
I do not own a Sony sub, but if it were me, I would try playing with it. You've really got nothing to lose.
That is part of the great fun of this hobby.

If you want a new sub, there are many.
This forum leans towards those from SVS and HSU.
In your price range you may want to look into the Dayton stuff. They are low priced but get a lot of respect.

Good Luck, Al. Wise

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
John Roger,

While I really think your best dollar to performance ratio is going to come from internet direct dealers, I like Al's idea of playing with your current sub -- it's not like it could hurt. I really don't know of a sub I would find acceptable at $250, but that's me, and we're not looking at a sub for me. In that range I'd look at the Dayton, but I have never heard it, so I wouldn't endorse it (though I've heard good things about it). If I were you I'd play with the Sony, and if I couldn't get acceptable performance from it, start thinking about what kind of performance I did want, then find the best sub to meet that performance. Perhaps you'd have to save to get the sub, but you've got the Sony to get you through, and there's not a whole lot of point in buying another sub that doesn't live up -- that's what you have now.

-Robb

Tabish

Grip
John if your sub is at the corner or near walls, try to move from there put somwhere away from the corner and walls and see if that helps but it will reduce the output volume though and you also can try poly-fill as Alan advsd, if nothing helps then for your price range I will try Daytona Mighty 2 sub from Parts Express.

John Roger

Stunt Coordinator
My reciver has the crossover set at 150Hz.Does this has to do with the boominess and i am not able to change this.The only way to get more bass from main speakers is to set them to "large", even in that case the sub shares all bass over 150.Even LFE is sent to any speaker set "large".

Reciever : sony st-sl5

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks