What's new

Few questions about recently purchased H/K system (1 Viewer)

Just bought a Harmon Kardon AVR 125 receiver and HTK 5 speakers setup for $600 new @ Circuit City. Was it a good buy?
Is it worth buying one of those calibration kits (Video Essentials or Avia) to calibrate this system or my Sony 27FV16 tv? If so, where could I buy it online (called several local shops, and couldn't find it anywhere).
This is my first HT system, so I want to make sure I do the right things.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Not only is it worth it, but I'd call it essential. If you can't float the $80 for both the SPL meter AND the VE/Avia DVD, get the meter first and at least get the audio balanced. Your eyes can do the video cal. better than your ears can do the audio. But get the DVD as soon as you can.

Have fun!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree with everything ColinM said, with one exception:

There is another good calibration disc available - Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune Up - has most of what Avia & VE have, but costs quite a bit less. A new version of VE is due out this year, Digital Video Essentials, so I would not buy the old one right now. I've seen it as low as $12, I got mine for $14. You can pick up Avia or DVE later if you feel the need. The S&V disc is produced in conjunction with Ovation, who put out Avia.

SPL meter is worth it, IMO. You can calibrate your receiver with the internal test tones without a cal disc, but this does not take into account the rest of your gear and interconnects. It will still get all the speaker levels the same, regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks