What's new

Few questions about projectors (1 Viewer)

raehza

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
I just returned my new Samsung PN51D8000 in anticipation for the 2012 models, but I am now considering a projector, but I have no clue about what prices look like, what is important about a projector etc. First things first, I understand that you can get a super hi-quality Projector that has incredibly image quality, better looking that Plasmas etc, but what's the price range go get that kind of quality? Reason I ask is, if it is worth it to get a Projector in the first place. My MAIN concern is picture quality. I want to get the best quality I can with the room I have available to me, with the budget available to me. I can accommodate up to around 70inches in my seating space without going too large. Room dimensions for my basement mini theater = 15 x 10.5 x 7 . View distance about 12 - 13 feet. Now, what exactly makes the picture quality in a projector theater. I understand that the Projector, of course, has to be of high quality, but what about the screen? I have no interest in 3D. The projector would be used to Movies and some Xbox and PS3 gaming. I appreciate any insight. By the way. My budget would be in the 2000 dollar range for now. If that can't get me anything that would look better than let's say my old Samsung Plasma, than let me know what kind of price range would. I just want something that looks incredible. I don't care much about a projector that can show huge screen sizes in good quality. Between 60 - 70 inches would be plenty for me Ray

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
If you only want a 70" diagonal screen, I wouldn't buy a projector. But I don't understand why you would want such a small screen sitting that far back. Your screen size should be about 110" diagonal. Buy a 65" or 70" TV and enjoy.

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
I agree, while projectors look great, at 70" an PCD would be a better choice. Mitsubishi also makes DLP in the 70-92" range with awesome picture quality. Projection is great for 90" and larger, but also has one main drawback. The room must be very dark for the projector to look good. You have to remember that with a projector, your viewing it on a white, near white, or light gray screen, and if you turn off the projector, what you see on the screen is the darkest black your image can have. So if you can read in the room, that amount of light will affect the image. LCD, DLP, plasma are direct view light sources so they work great in room even with moderate light. So if you can control the light levels in the room, a projector will work, otherwise go look at the 70" LCD's from Sharp and others, or consider the 73" mitsubishi DLP. From 12-13' I would not go larger then 73" in the DLP

raehza

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
The room has 3 tiny windows. The area that I will be occupying has only 1 of those windows and I will be blocking it up, so it will be pitch black in that room. 100 inches for my viewing distance seems good it seems, according to http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html Hmm..... 100 inches would definitely look amazing, but I'll have to do measurements since the Wall i'll be having a screen won't be all that long. I don't want my speakers to block my screen. How do I go about picking the right screen? As I understand screens can give more or less contrast to a picture. How do I deem which Screen suits my projector? For a very dark room... Ray

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
With a 12' to 13' seating distance, I would go with a 110" diagonal screen. With a dark room, I recommend a white screen with a 1.0 gain.

raehza

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
That's the plan, except I'll be getting a 106 incher. I ordered the Panasonic AE7000

raehza

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
I am contemplating whether I should get a 2.35:1 screen since I'll be using the screen mostly for movies and some gaming, but what happens if I watch a 16:9 source on a 2.35:1 screen? Will I just get the black borders? Can't i "fit" the screen somehow, without stretching the picture or is that just not possible due to the different in ratio? Ray

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks