Few questions about Athenas

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Dom P, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Dom P

Dom P Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking at getting Athena ASF2s as main speakers and then building up my surround system from there. I'm reading about them and it says"Dual Injection Molded Polypropylene 8" woofers provide huge amounts of bass output in a price you won't believe!" So does this mean I don't need a subwoofer? I was going to get a SVS sub with my setup, but now I'm thinking I should just get ASB2s as my main speakers since I don't need the fronts to have any significant bass output. SVS will take care of that. The tweeters on both are the same so highs should be identical. The woofer part is different. 6.5" vs dual 8". B2s are $230 for a pair and F2s would be $600 for a pair and if there isn't going to be a noticable difference with the sub I'd rather not waste money.

So I'm wondering if I need bass from my fronts if I'm to buy a sub?

Choices:

2 ASF2s(2 front), 2 ASB2s(2 rear), 1 ASC1(center).

or

2 ASF2s(2 front), 2 ASB2s(2 rear), 1 ASC1(center), and SVS sub.

or

4 ASB2s(2 front, 2 rear), 1 ASC1(center), and SVS sub.

Thanks for the help!

2. James USAF

James USAF Agent

I have the following...

ASF2 (fronts)
    ASC1 (Center)
    ASB2 (Surrounds)
    ASB1 (Surround Backs)

No sub *yet* (still recovering from all this audio stuff I just purchased)

The ASF2's do produce a very good amount of bass...however...they can not replace a sub woofer. I am content at this time but will be looking for a sub in the future...possibly the SVS.

So...if I had to pick one of your choices...I would go with

2 ASF2s(2 front), 2 ASB2s(2 rear), 1 ASC1(center), and SVS sub.

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Sounds good James, but rmember that Athena is coming out with new surrounds in a little while.

I may look at those, or I may go for a second pair of AS-F2s.

Damn, for $600 I may look at going AS-f2s all around.

Already played with the volume, @ 2 meters I can easily get over 100DB without pushing the speakers. This is ina basement.

The speakers are a little bright right now, but the combination of them not being broken in + the reflections off the existing plastic over the insulation give me some understanding as to why this is happening.

B

4. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Cool. [​IMG] I like the AS-F2's myself, and although I don't have room for them in back, I think I may go for three across the front (one huge benefit of a projector instead of a tube/RPTV is the ability to use a center as capable as the mains). Although the benefits of having such bass capability in the mains can be debated for DD/DTS when a sub will be used (I'll certainly use one), such towers will allow me to listen to MC SACD/DVD-A without resorting to any bass management.

5. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

That was my first plan Lack, but the problem was Athena doesn't sell singles in Canada.

I even contacted Athena directly and told them of my and a front projector plan for using an F2 for a center, they said "nope, not something we do"

I was stuck buying the C1, but for $150 it's a good stop gap until I do all 6.

OK I PROBABLY won't do the rears with F2s, but it sure would be imposing[​IMG]

I'm be running these speakers on large for fun while they break in.

B

6. Dean-P

Dean-P Stunt Coordinator

I had my AS-B2s in the front along with the AS-C1 until I got a set of Sound Dynamics 100s. They went to the front and the AS-B2s to the back, originally, I was going to buy a set of AS-F2s. Thes go on sale at FutureShop for a good price at Christmas![​IMG]
    Anyways, I like the big tower type for complementing the sub(which is x-over at 80 on the reciever)and gives a great sound stage. I find that there isn't enough rear speaker sounds to go the extra mile to buy towers for there at least for ht listening.
    I like the Athenas, but my "new" Sound Dynamics are much clearer and am seeking out others to create a center channel. I previously rebuilt the SD 100s cabinets to match my Athenas...anybody have any Sound Dynamics "s" series to sell?? [​IMG]

BTW I set my reciever to "all small" speakers and as I stated before, 80hz for sub x-over.

7. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Sorry for the misspelling Lack ..... I mean Jack[​IMG]

Yep, I saw that. Probably the thing with exchange and the fact that Canada only accounts for 10% of their sales.

I thought about ordering from BB U.S., other than shipping, exchange, and standard Canadian taxes I shouldn't expect any suprises.

Only way I'd consider that route was if it worked out to under $400 delivered. It would need to be on sale for that to happen.

I may just drive to Buffalo and find a BB down there.

B