few q's regarding rp82 and tosh sd4800

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jordan_Rosenberg, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Jordan_Rosenberg

Jordan_Rosenberg Auditioning

Hello all, first post, and I want to thank everyone for the wealth of info that is here..

My whole system is brand new, just missing a dvd player and I'm having a hard time deciding on either the panny rp82 or tosh sd4800 they seem simialar enough.. I'm just looking for the best pic and sound in that price range.. 200-250

Also a basic question, I may have to post in the beginners section, but is it better to hook the dvd player up to the reciever through the digital in/outs or go w/ the 5.1 analog in/outs?

Thanks!

2. Sujeet Patel

Sujeet Patel Stunt Coordinator

You'll get differing opinions on this, but I owned both, and decided to keep the RP-82.. Better picture quality, better MP3 playlist management, and Panasonic's reputation in the DVD arena did it for me.. The remote sucks real bad, and it doesn't play JPEGs (but the JPEGs looked terrible on the Toshiba for the most part, so a moot point). And I'm in the minority in that I like the silver/chrome look of the RP-82, it compliments my ReplayTV perfectly. [​IMG]

3. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

I would have bought a Panny RP-82 as soon as it came out, yet one important feature for me was left out: it does not scale non-anamorphic material for 16:9 TVs.

4. Jordan_Rosenberg

Jordan_Rosenberg Auditioning

does the tosh 4800 do that?

5. Adam Horak

Adam Horak Stunt Coordinator

yes it does.