Few more questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shana, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Shana

Shana Stunt Coordinator

What does OAR and OTA mean?

If you have a 4:3 TV and watch a WS DVD, what happens?

Also, if you have a 16:9 TV and watch a "regular" DVD, what happens?

Is 16:9 the same as letterbox? The only channels I have really seen many items that are labeled letterbox are Sundance and IFC.

What is a direct view TV?

Thanks, as always, for any help!

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi shana -

did you take your other stuff back yet? [​IMG]

okay, lemme take a stab at these.

OAR = original aspect ratio. it's the ratio of how wide the picture is to how tall the picture is. typically, when we talk about oar here, we mean watching a movie the way the director intended it. so that typically means no pan & scan. check out this link from the digital bits for more info about oar, widescreen, etc.

OTA = over the air. it typically refers to any tv signals (most people usually refer to hi-def) that are broadcast via broadcast antennas. it's the opposite of having a cable in your home.

watching 4x3 on a ws. you'll get grey bars on the side. however, many ws tv's have a stretch mode which will fill the whole screen. the better stretch modes only stretch out the edge of the picture, while leaving the center image relatively intact.

watching 16x9 on a 4x3. you'll get black bars on the top and bottom of the picture. but this is important to preserve the oar (see my first answer)

16x9 is typically the same as letterbox. i'd say the two terms are (more or less) interchangeable.

direct view tv's are the "traditional" tube-design tv's your used to seeing. afaik, the biggest direct view is around 40 inches. the bigger tv's you see are usually rear-projection.

btw - you have read the beginner's faq haven't you? pretty much everything you need to know is in there. [​IMG]

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I can agree with Ted on everything but the following:

4. Shana

Shana Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the answers! Yep I have looked over the Primer FAQ many times but don't enough to be tested on it [​IMG]

Ted, I am about to take all the stuff back today.

Thanks!
    Shana