What's new

Few Flexi Rack questions (1 Viewer)

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
Been reading through the past posts about building one of these racks, and I think I'm going to give it a shot. I'm not really that handy, but I'm cheap and I want to save the $$. Thinking about making mine 20" x 20".

I'm wondering about the feet though. What do people put on the bottom of the rods? And is it possible to put casters on the feet, so I can roll the unit out from the wall to make connection changes etc? Or is that just not done?

MarcVH

Second Unit
I just put little rubber caps on the bottom. Casters might be possible, but they should be mounted to the rods rather than to the bottom shelf.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
I've done both the rubber caps and the casters. I did mount the castors to the bottom shelf, but I did at least mount them as close to the rods as possible to minimize the flexing of the wood from the horizontal transfer of the vertical load. It difficult to find castors that will connect to 5/8" all-thread. And it seemed impossible to do that and keep a low-profile (minimal space between the bottom shelf and the floor).

My 3/4 inch birch ply had no problems for the year it was loaded with my audio equipment plus a 32" TV. This was a double-wide flexy with 6 rods and 6 castors. I have no doubts that it could bear that load for a couple of decades. MDF might flex a little easier than birch ply, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks