What's new

Feud: Season One (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I want to ask a question about stereotypes, sexual stereotypes. In this case gay stereotypes. Growing up, when Victor Bono was at his peak, well known, I didn't ever get any vibe he was gay, and certainly never saw him as he's been portrayed in this series.

I'll be the first to admit that back then, and even today (to a lesser degree) I don't pick up on someone being gay when it's subtle. The portrayal of Bono is not subtle. Anyone else here know he was gay at the time?

The assistant to Aldrich, did she ever achieve her goal of directing a movie? Momacita was wrong when she said women would make big gains in Hollywood. Sure, there's been improvements, but roles for older women are not plentiful, there are few female directors, I'll bet most power positions are still occupied by men. This is not a boast, but a lament.

Speaking of Bono, I saw him at the Old Globe doing Falstaff, I believe. He's up there on the stage and in the back of my mind, I'm thinking something is wrong. Suddenly Bono breaks character and steps to the front of the stage and in an angry voice shouts "Be quiet or get out!" An male audience member in the first rows had apparently been talking loud enough to distract Bono. The audience member says something back to Bono and he says "I don't care! Shut up or get out!"

Bono then goes back into character and the play continues. There wasn't a person in the audience who didn't hear what Bono said. It is amazing how thoughtless and self-centered some people can be to cause that kind of distraction to the actors on stage.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I'll be the first to admit that back then, and even today (to a lesser degree) I don't pick up on someone being gay when it's subtle. The portrayal of Bono is not subtle. Anyone else here know he was gay at the time?

I've clearly gotten a "gay vibe" from Bono all the times I've watched "...Baby Jane".

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Fascinating story. Not sure where it's going to go now that the "Baby Jane" storyline has ended, but I'll finish it out.

Love the Pepsi/Coke war they had. Very subtle, but apparently a little dig from Bette to Joan. They must have really disliked each other.

Lange does Joan quite well, she seems like she was a nice woman, not at all like the bitch as she was portrayed in "Mommie Dearest".

Last edited:

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Not sure going out of your way to sabotage your co-star's chances of winning an Oscar counts as "nice".

Without giving anything away, the story goes to at least 1964 and "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte".

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Not sure going out of your way to sabotage your co-star's chances of winning an Oscar counts as "nice".

Without giving anything away, the story goes to at least 1964 and "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte".
Well yes, that certainly wasn't nice, but overall she seems decent, not the psycho Dunaway portrayed. Probably a lot of subtle, behind the scenes things she was doing.
--------------
And to Johnny Angell, I think I picked up a gay "vibe" from Bono when I was maybe ten years old, to young to even know what it meant. For some reason, my "gaydar" is about 95% accurate.

Like the recent news about Barry Manilow. Wow, what a shocker he thought he was hiding from the world. Everybody knew about him 40 years ago.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Well yes, that certainly wasn't nice, but overall she seems decent, not the psycho Dunaway portrayed. Probably a lot of subtle, behind the scenes things she was doing.
--------------
And to Johnny Angell, I think I picked up a gay "vibe" from Bono when I was maybe ten years old, to young to even know what it meant. For some reason, my "gaydar" is about 95% accurate.

Like the recent news about Barry Manilow. Wow, what a shocker he thought he was hiding from the world. Everybody knew about him 40 years ago.
My gaydar is nonexistent. I'm always the last to know.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Excellent though really sad episode for Joan's character. It's the beginning of the end for her, and seeing her having to accept the end of her movie stardom is sad indeed. (She did do one more William Castle film, and then two others and that was it - done by 1970). Bette continued right up to her death mixing films and TV-movies but constantly working.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Excellent though really sad episode for Joan's character. It's the beginning of the end for her, and seeing her having to accept the end of her movie stardom is sad indeed. (She did do one more William Castle film, and then two others and that was it - done by 1970). Bette continued right up to her death mixing films and TV-movies but constantly working.
She did to Hush, Hush didn't she? Wasn't that at least a medium hit?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
She did to Hush, Hush didn't she? Wasn't that at least a medium hit?
She only worked a week or two on Charlotte before she abruptly declared she was ill and left the production, so it doesn't count in her filmography.

I did forget to count that she did the first installment of the TV-film pilot for Night Gallery.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
She only worked a week or two on Charlotte before she abruptly declared she was ill and left the production, so it doesn't count in her filmography.

I did forget to count that she did the first installment of the TV-film pilot for Night Gallery.
Did Olivia de Havilland take Crawford's role?

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
The scene where Joan confronted her brother in the hotel lobby was filmed at the King Edward Hotel in downtown Los Angeles. I recognized it immediately as the same hotel where that kinky 1972 cult movie, Private Parts, was filmed. The hotel was seedy back then, but its been restored now.
aabkingedwardl2larger.jpg

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I always thought that if there were a stag film, MGM would have taken care of it pronto. Joan was one of their biggest box-office stars from 1930 (when she was the #1 box-office star) - 1936 (when she ranked #7), her last year in the Top Ten, and there is no way such a thing wouldn't have been sought out and destroyed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks