What's new

Fess Parker Daniel Boone series (1 Viewer)

Eli R

Auditioning
I watched some of the episodes on TV Land the other day, or tried to watch I should say. I hadn't seen any of them since some re-runs as a kid in the 70's.

But watching them today I thought they were just plain terrible and that's not even taking into account the almost total historical inaccuracy of the stories, the landscape that didn't resemble Kentucky even the slightest amount and the completely laughable white actors playing the Indians.

I wanted to like it again but I just couldn't. I love that time historical time period and wish they would make a modern movie about Daniel Boone or Davy Crockett. If anyone wants a great book recommendation though check out "The Frontiersmen" by Allan Eckert. It includes lots of info about Boonesborough and frontier Kentucky.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
9 actors have played Crockett in polished productions on both the small and big screens, and the feature film with Billy Bob a few years ago sucked..

What more do you want? :)

michael_ks

Screenwriter

Yeah, except that in todays PC world it wouldn't be Daniel Boone, it'd be Danielle Boone...and she'd have a 'partner' alright...

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Yep. Just a complete brain freeze on my part there.

As for the show itself, I'm a little more forgiving than others when it comes to some of the complaints raised here. And I'm in total agreement with Michael about the idiotic PC revisionism of today - nothings worse than that. Give me books and television from that era over today every time. I think my chances of getting correct historical content will be a lot better that way.

Gary "the stuff that passes for legit history today is much less accurate, on the whole, than the stuff done 40+ years ago, so I'm not gonna complain about Daniel Boone too much" O.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Well, I never really thought about it much in terms of historical accuracy. I usually just view the series (like many others) through the prism of 60s-tv adventure hokum. I didn't really watch the recent marathon on TV-Land because I'm planning on getting the two dvd sets. I didn't notice until late in the marathon that they were showing episodes from well into 1968. Which, was on the date of the one I 'did' manage to catch. It had Julie Harris guesting as some gal whom the Indians believe to be a witch, thanks to the way she has with animals. Although a little cheesey, I found it nicely entertaining. But, I'm such a sucker for these old shows!

michael_ks

Screenwriter

So am I, as my list of shows below will attest. "Daniel Boone" is special to me for the simple reason that it maintains a strong moral center, has a dignified poignancy and a wonderful timelessness about it. It showcases an era in our nation which I'm very fond, given that intrepid pioneers like Boone were steadfastly and unselfishly driven to help forge a new nation. Sure there are historical inaccuracies, but it's all part of the show's charm.

"The Rifleman", "Rawhide" and "Swamp Fox" are also series that for me elicit admiration for pioneering types who fostered expansion and overcame adveristy. Again, some free license taken here with history, but I view them within a larger construct rather than worry about mistakes made over dates and geography. And need I explain the positive male role models for the youngsters these shows projected? Leadership, compassion and cool-headedness, etc. are hallmarks of figures like Boone, Francis Marion (SF), and the fictional McCain and Favor. God, I'm getting misty here...

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I can't get emotional over a show like Daniel Boone. It is light, passable 1960s television entertainment that is not trying to be hip like a Wild Wild West of Man from U.N.C.L.E. It's a simple show that didn't use too many gimmicks, historical or otherwise.

Daniel Boone is not a priority to me, and I although I wouldn't buy it I kind of hoped TV Land would have given it more air time post-marathon than they did. Less than 2 weeks, and already it seems they removed the show from their weekday afternoon schedule! It wasn't going to be on weekends, so it looks like Daniel was a victim of low 2006 cable ratings.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

michael_ks

Screenwriter

Nice to know that Liberation is committing to S3 before the first two hit the shelves. Have to wait a year but with 58 episodes in S1-2 plus all the other sets I'm trying to view, I should manage OK.

On tvland.com you can watch the premiere episode of S1 and 2 episodes from S2. The B&W shows are bound to look better than I've ever seen, judging by my scanning through "Ken-Tuck-E". Some flecks of dust here and there in the image, but very good overall. The color episodes speak for themselves. You can also see some bonus interviews from the DVD set which features a nice tribute to Albert Salmi.

Just two weeks to go until we see the release of the first two seasons!

http://www.tvland.com/video/index.jh...ctid=202217699

Eli R

Auditioning

I'm well aware of when AND where Boone and Crockett lived. I'm associating them because I have an interest in both of them and both have been the subject of popular movies and tv shows in the past.

And what more do I want? I want what I said I wanted, modern features about both of them. And just a few years ago a new film about Crockett WAS being planned and Harrison Ford was being mentioned as the possible lead. At the very least it looks like TNT or some other cable station could produce something.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

Of course you wouldn't buy it. That's what you say in 99% of your posts, of which 98% are negative. You are like the fun sponge, just sopping up anyone else's enjoyment.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Ha ha ha! :laugh: Of course you would complain about me posting about a show I wouldn't buy. Actually, 95% of my posts are very positive. You just choose to not comment on those because they most likely pertain to shows that you don't like....and that's fine. I like Daniel Boone, and I even said that previously in this very topic. You really shouldn't let my harmless posts bother you so much, Michael.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

Please post how to do this for the benefit of all of us who have our hands raised at being tired of Jeff's thread-crapping.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Yes, please share so that I may have my personal "Jeff#-B-Gone". The alternative is to crap in threads for shows he praises, but I'm too nice a guy for this.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Buddy/Ignore lists can be accessed once you've logged into HTF. Near the top of the page you'll see a section titled "User CP" (the CP stands for Control Panel). Click on "User CP" and, on the next screen, you'll see a section on the left hand side titled "Miscellaneous." Under "Miscellaneous" you'll see "Buddy/Ignore List." Click on that and the next screen will allow you to either add a "Buddy" or add "Ignore" using the User's screen name. Both of these features will only work when you are logged in; they are not available if you decide to view the forum while not logged in. There is also an option to remove "Buddy" or "Ignore" if you change your mind later. You can also go to the public profile of any user and simply click on the "Add to Buddy list" or "Add to Ignore list," which is a bit simpler than using the User Control Panel feature.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Why the hostility, guys? :) I've written a lot of good posts in the past 2 years. But a few of you prefer to go on the attack rather than discuss the shows. There's nothing wrong with saying why we don't care for certain TV programs. I've written more posts about what I enjoy than what I don't. (I'm the guy who started the "Get Smart" topic in 2005, and now it's finally coming to DVD).

I didn't exactly write anything negative about Daniel Boone. Heck...I LIKE the show. Just because I say I'm not buying it on disc (as I have about other shows in some earlier topics) is no reason to make this a personal issue. If you have a problem with me instead of airing your grievances in public, there is a private messaging feature you can use.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I too don't understand the uproar... It's not like this is a Star Wars thread :D

So Jeff# doesn't want to buy it. Thats cool. His choice/loss. He's shared some of his thoughts on the release and how he sees it relating to other shows during that time. No big deal...

But to get things back on topic...

Have there been any early reviews yet?? And how much restoration was really performed? Were the TVLand broadcasts the restored versions?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks