Fertilizing grass question.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by David Preston, May 4, 2003.

1. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

Let me start by saying I live in Ga. I have bermuda grass in my front yard. I just fertilized a couple weeks ago when the grass was about 50% green. I have a few weed patches in my yard. I spent all day getting the big weeds out today. My question is I want to use weed and feed to get rid of the small one like clovers. Since I just fertilized a couple weeks ago will I burn the grass if I use weed and feed? Is it to late in the year or is it still early enough to do this. Does anybody have any other good suggestionsto get rid of these small weeds? Thanks in advance. David

2. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

The bag of Scott's fertilizer and crabgrass preventer I used last month said to wait at least 6 weeks before fertilizing again. Go get yourself some stuff that is just a weed killer (like ortho weed-be-gone). You can get this stuff in a spray bottle for killing individual weeds or a concentrated version that you apply using a hose-end-sprayer if you want to treat your entire lawn.
    You also might want to check with a local nursery, they know what works best in your area.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Over-fertilizing can damage your lawn, so I would hold off on applying a weed and feed so soon after your last fertilization. As Lew suggested, the Ortho weed killer works very well. I used some this weekend on the dreaded spring dandelions, and within 24 hours the weeds were dead.

4. David Preston

I'm don't have a lot of experience with lawn chemicals or fertilizers. So my question is how does it not kill the grass and just kill the weeds. I would hate to have some big dead spots in my yard after I spray the weeds and it gets on the grass. Thanks

5. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

I haven't a clue. I just treated my entire lawn with the weed-be-gone, only the weeds seem to be dieing. Just make sure you get stuff that says weed killer, not grass and weed killer. Go to a plant nursery and talk to someone who knows one end of a rake from another.

6. Nathan_F

Nathan_F Second Unit

Nathan
    Excellent resource for lawns here: http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/

I would follow the advice given to get a weed killer only. I think you'll see that the above site primarily recommends fall applications to take care of most perennial weeds. Due to my neighbors yellow yard (no grass, just dandelions) I have to apply at other times as well. Also, a well fertilized and thickened lawn will oftentimes "weed out" the weeds on it's own. Despite my neighbor's lack of care, I have less dandelions today than 2 years ago just because it's hard for anything else to grow in between the thick grass.

Just my $.02

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I have to ask

WHy would anyone want to fertilize a lawn? It just grows faster!

Kill it all, paint it green [​IMG]

8. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian

9. David Preston

Thanks will be doing weed killing this weekend weather permitting.

10. David Preston

One more question. Should I use weed be gone before or after I cut my grass or does it make a difference. I was thinking about cutting it friday and spraying weeds satuday will it still work the same? Thanks

11. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

You should probably wait a few days after cutting the lawn. The leaves on the weeds will be broader, allowing the weed killer to adhere to the weeds better and be more effective. Do not apply right before cutting, either, since you may cut away the part of the weed that the chemical is adhered to before it can kill the weed.

Also, make sure there is no rain in the forecast for at least 24 hours -- you do not want the weed killer to get washed away before it can do its job.