What's new

Fencing/Swordplay (1 Viewer)

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Aside from the Samurai films, of which I have a number,
I was wondering what there was with swordplay. I am excluding stuff like Excalibur or 13th Warrior because I am more interested in the fencing side then the hack and slash.
I already have:
Mask of Zorro
Princess Bride
3/4 Musketeers (original)
3 Musketeers (Sheen et. al)
I will never buy Man In the Iron Mask
What am I missing?
I really want my Errol Flynn!

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
I recall some good fencing scenes in Swashbuckler(1976), a decent enough pirate adventure starring Robert Shaw, Genevieve Bujold, James Earl Jones, Peter Boyle and Beau Bridges. It's available on disc from Universal, I believe. Cheers.

DS.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
[Edited to remove foot from mouth]
[Emily Latella]Never miiiind[/Emily Latella]
When I first read your post my eye somehow skipped over The Princess Bride in your list. No point in recommending a movie you already own, is there? :)
But aren't the sword fights in it great? :D
Joe

Chris Sypal

Stunt Coordinator
I'd think that most people would agree that the best part of Star Wars Episode 1, was the awe inspiring sword fights.

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
Of course, Ridley Scott's The Duellists Link Removed is coming out later this year, but I would also recommend an often-forgotten swashbuckler called, appropriately enough, Swashbuckler Link Removed .

Blu

Screenwriter
I haven't seen it but I bet when Count of Monte Cristo comes out on DVD it will have lots of swordplay in it!

I'm looking forward to this one, the novel was very very good!

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
One of the best fencing movies I've ever seen is BY THE SWORD, starring F. Murray Abraham and Eric Roberts. Alas, it doesn't appear to be on DVD just yet. But you can probably find it cheap on VHS if you haven't seen it, because it really is a great movie.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
I'll second Rob Roy and Episode One, esp. Rob Roy, which has one of the best climaxes of any film I've seen period. Glad to know I'm not the only person around who loves swordplay though. I used to take fencing, so I know how hard it is to do a proper swordfight, and the best movie ones are pure magic :)
For my money, Mask of Zorro is one of the best swordfighting movies in recent memory, and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon runs a close second. One of Michelle Yeoh's fights towards the end is quite the piece of work...
But, unfortunately, you already have all the good ones released of late... I, for one, wish there were a few more...

Frank Doorhof

Stunt Coordinator
Highlander ?

Aside from the hack & slice, there are some very intresting different kind of weapons, especially in the series.

Greetings from Holland,

Frank

William DAnnucci

Stunt Coordinator
People here might be interested in the credits of fencing coreographer Robert Anderson. Here are some of his credits listed at IMDB.com:

Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, The (2003) (choreographer: art action)

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, The (2002) (choreographer: art action)

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The (2001) (choreographer: art action)

... aka Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring: The Motion Picture, The (2001) (USA: promotional title)

Parent Trap, The (1998) (fencing consultant)

... aka Disney's The Parent Trap (1998) (USA: complete title)

Mask of Zorro, The (1998) (sword master) (as Robert Anderson)

Phantom, The (1996) (sword master) (as Robert Anderson)

First Knight (1995) (sword master)

Three Musketeers, The (1993) (sword master)

"Highlander" (1992) TV Series (sword master)

... aka "Highlander" (1992) (France)

... aka "Highlander: The Series" (1992)

By the Sword (1991) (sword master)

Princess Bride, The (1987) (sword master)

Highlander (1986) (sword master)

Star Wars (1977) (fight arranger)

... aka Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope (1977) (USA: new title)

Barry Lyndon (1975) (fencing coach)

Moonraker, The (1957) (fencing coach)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I am pleased to see SWASHBUCKLER being recommended by a few people - I always thought it was pretty entertaining, and didn't deserve the "bomb" or "no star" ratings its been given by various reviewers. But I think the granddaddy of all sword duels is in the Stewart Granger film SCARAMOUCHE, which is currently owned by Warner Bros. It therefore has scant chance of showing up on DVD, but if you own a laser disc player, the Criterion and MGM releases are gorgeous.

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
Blake Edward's "The Great Race" has some nice fencing scenes between 'The Great Leslie' (Tony Curtis), and 'Baron Rolfe von Stuppe' (Ross Martin).
I've heard it is due for a release in a few months!:)

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Dennis: According to the documentary on The Mask of Zorro : Special Edition, yes.. He mentions something complementary about Antonio's skill with the sword, and compares him to Errol Flynn, whom he taught.

Dave P

Auditioning
Check out the fencing between Danny Kaye and Basil Rathbone in "The Court Jester." Truly spectacular stuff.

Mike Witt

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Dave, THE COURT JESTER has some amazing swordplay (although I have no fencing background to base this opinion on).

Henry V

Stunt Coordinator
Philip I'm in agreement with you,the great Errol Flynn swashbucklers are much to be desired."Scaramouche" has one of the finest and longest duels of any adventure film but as was already pointed out it's not likely to escape from the Warner's film vaults onto DVD anytime soon,the doors on those vaults seem to have rusted shut from lack of use.Hopefully next year's release of the restored "The Adventures of Robin Hood" will encourage them to reconsider.
"The Prisoner of Zenda" was filmed twice with both Ronald Colman(37) and Stewart Granger(52) cutting the heroic figure with grand style,the final duel from both these films is what is parodied so well in "The Great Race".If you get a chance,check out the excellent Tyrone Power/Basil Rathbone duel at the end of the original "Mark Of Zorro"(40),for sheer technique it can't be beat.Unfortunately you'll have to watch all of these on tape or Laserdisc at this point in time...:thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks