What's new

Fellowship of the Ring DVD concerns... (1 Viewer)

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
Like many, I'm sure, I can't wait for the DVD release of 'Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring'. I am completely in love with the movie and obviously want a top-notch DVD.

Now... I'm worried about the running time of the movie and how will they handle it on DVD. The movie runs at 2:58 min, which you can easily fit on one double-layered disc if you strip down all the gimmicks and extra features.

I'm not sure that I like the idea of the movie being spread over 2 discs, but then I do want at least a commentary track with PJ and DD 5.1 (don't care about DTS but I'm sure many would like that too). I'd also love an isolated music track.

I wonder how are they going to do this though. Unlike 'Pearl Harbor' (which I also like), I think this is a movie which deserves to be seen without any kind of interruptions. Maybe they can release a no-frills, movie-only DVD editon on 1 disc, and then an InfiniFilm-like special edition spread over 2 discs with all the features.

I'm just not sure I want this movie spread over 2 discs... hmm.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Ah, it brings back old memories of laserdiscs...

- Steve

Michael Dueppen

Stunt Coordinator
I'm just not sure I want this movie spread over 2 discs...
No, definitely not. I was so absolutely in another world I would hate it if the flow got interrupted. I'd really like it if this were DD5.1 and a commentary on disc one. All extras on another disc.

One Ring To Rule Them All...

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Frank L, I really hate advertising my own threads, but I started one in the 'S&M Feedback area' a few days ago addressing this very issue, by all means make your opinion heard there, as i'm sure New Line will see it.
I started that thread because I too am kinda concerned, especially after the subpar transfer on 'Rush Hour 2'. I loved this film as well and only want the very best New Line can offer us.

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the heads-up John, I'll be sure to post my concerns on that thread. Hopefully New Line will read some of the feedback from this forum and address the issue accordingly.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Robert, I don't know, for a film shot anamorphically, it should look better IMO anyway. I noticed bad halo effects around the letters in the opening credits, and the film looks a tad grainy to me. I watched it on my VVEGA with the 16x9 engaged and it almost looks like it was shot in Super 35 as opposed to anamorphic. Heck, the 'LOTR' trailer on the disc looked better IMO of course.

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
I believe Peter Jackson has total control on the movie including how the DVD/VHS will be handled. I am not sure how true this is but I have heard something about it a while back. I do hope this is NOT an InfiniFilm release. I would like a Platinum 2 Disc Release ala Se7en.

MichaelG

Second Unit
Yes, please let's get the whole movie on one dual layered side, no intermission! I don't know the difference between New Line Platinum and Infinifilm so I can't comment on that. Just put all the extras on a separate disc.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
LOTR should be a Platinum Edition, or even a three-disc Gold Edition. Peter Jackson did mention on another website more than a year ago that the disc should have a couple of docos, one on Tolkien and at least another derived from the hundreds of hours Costa Botes shot during the making of the movie.

Warner Bros. new JFK remaster runs just over 200 minutes and fits on a single-disc with an Oliver Stone commentary attached. GODFATHER 2 (if I look in my Maltin book) runs a similar length, has a Coppola commentary but was split for DVD. LOTR is a good 20 minutes or so shorter than either so it's already in with a fighting chance to squeeze onto a single disc with Jackson's commentary included. I know that P.T.Anderson said onetime he wanted to avoid a commentary track on MAGNOLIA so the bit-rate wouldn't be affected (it runs nearly the same length as LOTR and also came out from New Line) but I'm guessing he overrated that problem a tad if Warner can get such nice results from their JFK remaster. Perhaps DTS chews up the bit-rate more rapidly...

Though there's nothing concrete, a number of different sources and interviews (including, to be specific, one in Britain's SFX Magazine with 'LOTR: Official Movie Guide' author Brian Sibley) have mentioned that Jackson is "..passionate about a director's cut". He shot all the battles with fidelity to the novel and though I hear the film is quite violent (I'm seeing it tonight) I understand that some of the gore was gently played down to get the appropriate rating. A director's cut could reinstate this footage without being restrained to a particular rating whilst also including whatever other scenes were dropped from Jackson's final cut.

Jackson helped create THE FRIGHTENERS SIGNATURE EDITION from Universal a few years ago, and it had a longer cut, a commentary track and a groundbreaking doco that ran more than 4 hours. Seeing as the various sources are stating that Jackson also wants to put together a tremendous box-set of all three films for 2004 (or thereabouts) I'd be surprised if we don't get the absolute works for LOTR at one point or another. If the kitchen sink turns out to be missing from the DVD of the first film in August 2002 it's because they're saving it for the box set. I doubt anyone will feel compelled to hold off till then for it though.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Though there's nothing concrete, a number of different sources and interviews (including, to be specific, one in Britain's SFX Magazine with 'LOTR: Official Movie Guide' author Brian Sibley) have mentioned that Jackson is "..passionate about a director's cut". He shot all the battles with fidelity to the novel and though I hear the film is quite violent (I'm seeing it tonight) I understand that some of the gore was gently played down to get the appropriate rating. A director's cut could reinstate this footage without being restrained to a particular rating whilst also including whatever other scenes were dropped from Jackson's final cut.
Whilst an extended cut may have been in his mind early on, recent reports seem to state the idea has left his mind and Jackson has no real want or need to do one.

Dan (UK)

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Keep in mind that the 178 minute running time may not be the version released to DVD. I think I read that Peter Jackson was planning a longer cut for the DVD, which could edge the film up to requiring two discs.

Blu

Screenwriter
I would hope that there would be a Director's Cut version of the film but I could live with the Theatrical Cut if it had lots of extras.

James D S

Screenwriter
I too would like the movie (with a commentary) on one disc. It would be a pity to ruin the flow of that movie if there is no need to do so.

No Infinifilm please. Just a classy presentation on one disc followed by a second special features disc.

One disc to rule them all...

John_McKittrick

Stunt Coordinator
Count me in for an uncut version of the film on one DVD. There is no reason to put INFINIFILM on this movie. That is just a complete waste.

John

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Got a great TV there Robert. I have a new PRO-720HD. I love it. I also thought the Rush Hour 2 DVD looked great.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
hmm I'd love to see a lovely transfer ala fight club, and again like fight club with mulitple commentary and audio options

extended director's cut 4 hours = two discs

dolby 6.1 (or 2.0 if they can't squeeze both on)

dts 6.1

commentary with principal cast director adn producers (the fun commentary)

commentary with director producers and screenwriters(the technical getting it made commentary)

commentary with chief visual effects guys (how'd they do that)

commentary with sound guys and howard shore

isolated 5.1 score

so two discs for the movie presentation, and add an extra disc in for special features. personally though, I wouldn't mind if we got sole, movie only (plus commentarys adn iso scores) two disc sets for each of the movies each year as they are released. Then in 2004-5 a slam bang 10 disc set:

6 for complete directors cut which would eliminate any bandwidth problems, and four for special features, one for each film, and one covering the project as a whole.

That would be a cool way to do LOTR on dvd

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I would love for this to have the treatment that Fight Club and Seven received. I would opt for a DTS-less release in favor of an uninterrupted presentation. Ideally, if the rumor of a director's cut that would make a single disc presentation impossible is true, I would use that as the good option to provide the DTS and extra commmentary tracks. I would certainly love to have both a Platinum Theatrical Release and a Deluxe Director's Cut release.

I certainly hope that the excellent craftsmanship of LotR will prompt The Frighteners to get a release the equal of the LD. With the proper release of Bad Taste and the forthcoming Heavenly Creatures, they have to use this opportunity to do this right.

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
Indeed it is true that early on in the process, Peter Jackson said he was toying with the idea of releasing a longer cut of the movie for the DVD presentation. This may have changed though.

From interviews I've heard him say that at one point he had a cut of the movie which was 3:40 min long (as opposed to the current 2:58 min), so we're talking about a 220 min movie, which I'm not sure you can fit on 1 double-layer disc with a high bit-rate and all the gimmicks.

Now, on the same interviews I've also heard him say that he thinks it would have been irresponsible to release an R-rated cut of the film, because Tolkien's novels are for not exclusively for adults. This may indicate that he is satisfied with the current cut of the film, thus no director's cut. But still, I do believe we will get to see those extra 40 minutes that he initially cut.

But I don't know... I'm still between a rock and a hard place. I most definitely DO NOT want the movie split over two discs, but then again I would absolutely LOVE for it to get the Fight Club treatment with multiple commentaries, isolated music score, etc, which can't fit into one disc.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks