1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Fellow MartinLogan owners!!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_Spalvieri, Sep 17, 2001.

1. Paul_Spalvieri

Paul_Spalvieri Auditioning

Hello fellow MartinLogan lovers!!! I just bought the ML cinema centre, aerius i fronts and scripts rears. I need help now finding the proper receiver or preamp/amp set up. Every one tells me that the ML need Krell amps to run properly. What is everyone using and are they happy with it?

2. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

Hey Paul,
    first off welcome, I'm sure you will find a wealth of information here! secondly, congratulations on your fine purchase! you have the makings of an extraordinary HT system!
    WRT your question, while Krell manufacture fine equipment it is not the only game in town you will be able to drive your speakers with any number of amps/preamps and/or receivers. Receivers will be able to power your setup but beware attempting to drive at really high levels, the ML's have a variable impedance which can reach between 1-2 ohms...
    I was driving a pair of Sequel II's a logos and a pair of Aerius with an older Onkyo tx-919, and while it worked when I upgraded to separates it sounded significantly better.
    What is your room size and your preferred listening levels. Last but not least what budget are you operating in!
    thanks and good listening
    Miles
    ------------------
    Miles
    DarkSide Member since(93)

3. Paul_Spalvieri

Paul_Spalvieri Auditioning

Thanks for the reply. My room is 19feet by 15feet. I am looking at spending around 3-4k. What are you using now? I dont want to go through several different amps/receivers to get the right one, if you now what I mean.

4. Anthony Lobo

Anthony Lobo Agent

Hi Paul,
    Having sold Martin-Logan before.
    I would recommend a good pre-amp/processor combo because Martin-Logan's demand continuous power. A receiver will not be sufficient.
    If you want to keep costs down you may want to consider ADA's 6 channel amp the PTM-6150 which retails for $3500 CDN and a decent pre-amp such as one from Marantz.
    Anthony

5. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

Paul,
    I am using a Cal ssp 2500 and a Sunfire Cinema Grand right now and I am happy with the combo... they are driving the same speakers with the exception of CLS IIz's swapped for Sequel II's
    Miles
    ------------------
    Miles
    DarkSide Member since(93)

6. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Hi Paul:
    I am running my ML Ascents with a Bryston 4B-ST and my Aeruis i's (rears), Scripts (sides) and Cinema Center with a Bryston 9B-ST. The Brystons are superb and never seem to run out of steam. My processor is a Lexicon MC-1. You'll find Bryston & ML matched up quite regularly.
    Anthony is correct in saying that a regular receiver to drive ML's is, for the most part, inadequate. Although it is interesting that one of his co-workers sold me a Nakamichi AV-10 receiver for my Aerius i's (then new), a few years back.
    Herb.
    ------------------

7. Anthony Lobo

Anthony Lobo Agent

Hello Herb,
    Please note that I now have my own company. Yes it was true you were sold a Nakamichi AV-10 for your speakers. Please keep in mind I only became involved in your theater when it came to your M&K subwoofer.
    Anthony

8. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

"Please keep in mind I only became involved in your theater when it came to your M&K subwoofer."
    Anthony, fair enough!
    I have sent you a private message.
    Herb.
    ------------------

9. Robert Standefer

Robert Standefer Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I have your setup (Aerius i and Cinema center). I use a Sunfire Cinema Grand. It's rated at 400wpc @4ohms. Gayle Sanders, president of Martin Logan, uses a Sunfire Cinema Grand to power his center and surrounds.
    When shopping for a new amp, I considered the Krell KAV-250a/3, the Proceed AMP-3, the Classe CAV-150, the NAD 218THX, and several other amplifiers. I found the Sunfire to offer the best sound mated to the Aerius i's and Cinema. I use Tributaries speaker cable with Tara Labs spades.
    For a preamp, I'm using a Sony TA-E9000ES but I'm planning to buy an Anthem AVM 2 when I get back from LA.
    -Rob

10. Jonathan Roy

Jonathan Roy Auditioning

I use a Sunfire Cinema Grand also, for my Monolith iiis. It works great! Eventually I want a Theater Grand preamp, but that's a few years out. Time to pay off all debt. For now I'm using my old receiver's preouts as my preamp. Not the best situation, but it's the "free" choice.
    -Jonathan

11. Danish

Danish Auditioning

I have listened to Martin Logans on just about everything. I can't stand the Krell amps except for the FPB series - way to bright for me otherwise. I used to have Aerius powered by an Audio Research D-130 which I liked well. I now have SL3s and a Logos powered by an Audio Refinement Multi 3 - it is a very liquid sounding amp and only runs $1250.
    Other good options would be the Bryston, Cinema Grand (it was my 1st choice, but my friend sells both the Carver and the Audio Refinement and stands by the AR - not that his opinion is the only one). The MLs like high current amps as you might already know.
    Good luck!

12. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

Herb,
    I am using the Aragon 8008bb for my stereo pair of ReQuests and a 8008x3 for the center and rear speakers. The Aragon has a large amount of clean sweet power. All they need are a 20 amp circuit and no hindering 'surge' protectors to slow the flow of juice. I am using a PS Audio Ultimate Outlet for my amps and they sound unbelievably good now. Very quiet and detailed.
    ------------------
    Joe C.
    quote:Who's scruffy looking?
    My biscuits are a burnin.

13. LarrySkelly

LarrySkelly Stunt Coordinator

Not much to add except that I agree that using a receiver is not optimal. Until I can afford a new amp I'm driving a pair of reQuests with a Marantz SR8000, and although I give the Marantz kudos for performing as well as it does with the reQuests and 4 ohm B&W rears, I know that the sound is suffering. The soundstage is pretty good, but I find that when the music gets complex I lose some detail and depth. Most people would not notice, but I'm just not there yet.
    Also try a post over at the planar asylum ( www.audioasylum.com )and see what you can find out there.
    Good luck,
    Larry
    ------------------
    Upgrading: 'What if this is as good as it gets?'

14. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Hi Joe:
    If you're refering to the ML's needing a 20 amp circuit, that surely wouldn't be necessary. Now the power amps, well that's a different story. In fact, I just finished putting in three 20 amp circuits for my HT last week (2 for my amps and one for my Richard Gray power center), plugging the amps directly into their own dedicated receptacles. Even my wife noticed a difference..... now that's a recommendation! The ML's only use 5 watts of power simply to keep the panels charged (while in use).
    While I don't know a lot about Aragon, I do know they have a decent reputation to run speakers with a demanding load. I would think that is a nice combo.
    As for the Nakamichi, it was only a 100 wpc receiver. While it did it's job admirably, there was no comparison when I finally went with separates (even though the initial change was only 100 to 120 rated wpc).
    Herb.
    ------------------

15. Scott_Sylke

Scott_Sylke Stunt Coordinator

I have the exact same speakers as you. I too am using the Sunfire Cinema Grnad along with the Sungfire THeater Grand II. I highly recommend that you add them to your audition list.
    ------------------
    Scott
    a.k.a. KCWolfPck
    See my Home Theater Page .

16. Seung Kim

Seung Kim Agent

Well Paul, I don't think there are any receivers out there to drive all five ML speakers!
    I remember when I first bought my Aerius i's and Cinema Center. I used to have a Denon receiver which was rated 130x5 channels. It sounded VERY thin and lacked bass completely. MLs impedence is very low so a typical receiver cannot drive them.
    I recommend Sunfire Cinema Grand at least or also can recommend Bryston 9B-ST which I own.
    Wow, Aragon amps... Nice...
    Enjoy!
    [​IMG]