What's new

Fell into a sonotube! (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I knew that title would get your attention.

What I mean is, our office is remodelling and I stumbled across a base for a table made from 18" sonotube and capped on both ends with mdf! And finished in black laquer! And here is the best part: It has a perfect circle cut out of one end! It was just calling me from across the office... "Dave! Make me into a sub, Dave. Pleeeese!"

I figure the internal volume at a little over 2 cuft. Only problem is, the circle cutout is 12" and I can't find a driver that requires a 12" cutout. Anyone know if there are any 13" drivers out there?

What am I getting into.

Mike_A

Stunt Coordinator
JLAudio makes a 13" driver, the 13W7 i believe. it's a car sub, but it's specs lend pretty well to HT as well. not sure about the cut out size or how well it'll do in 2 cu ft. be warned, they're not cheap...

You know, if you want to make that a cutout to fit a 15" driver, just screw a piece of wood on the back side of the hole (to make your pivot point for the router) and cut the hole a little larger. 2 cubic feet is kinda on the small side for most 15" drivers, but it might work.

Or . . .

make a donut ring of MDF that a 12" driver will fit into, and which would be mountable on the 12" hole in the tube. The "donut" will stick out a little, but with a little black paint and placement on the bottom, you would probably never notice it.

John

Robert George

Screenwriter
John:
This is off-topic, but I have been meaning to say "hello" to a homey.
I grew up in P'ville (PHS class of '75, go Rebs!). My folks still live there.
Nice place to be from ;).

Hey Robert,
How about that. I lived in Alexandria all my life (graduated from ASH in 1989) and when I finished college and law school, came back and moved to Pineville. My sister graduated from ASH in 1974, you might have met her. How cool is that.
If you're ever in town visiting the folks let me know, I'd be glad to have you over to see my home theater. (There's not too many people in the area who appreciate these things to the extent that I do, so I'd relish the opportunity to share it with another "nut". :) )
John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks