*feels Silly* What is progressive scan?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mike Darksyde, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Mike Darksyde

Why do I need this? What is this? Will I notice a difference?

I have a WEGA HS32?

2. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Is this an HDTV? If not, then you almost certainly can't do/use progressive scan video.

I was going to direct you to the HTF primer, but seems that there's no explanation of progressive scan there.

Anyway, checkout this extensive article if you want the nitty gritty details, especially as it pertains to DVDs:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...e-10-2000.html

Even if you just want the gist of it, I recommend reading the gray section in that article -- just page down 2 or 3x. It's still pretty detailed, but it's well worth your time, if you care to know at all.

_Man_

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Your computer monitor is a "progressive scan" device. It just means that the rows of video information is drawn in a sequential order.

Back in the 1940's, they adopted INTERLACE as the video format to by-pass some technical issues. If you look at an ordinary RPTV you will see horizontal lines called "scan lines". These are caused because row 1,3,5... are all drawn first, then rows 2,4,6,... are filled in.

This is called 480i - 480 lines of interlace.

Progressive Scan is called 480p - 480 lines of progressive.

4. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Since we're gonna go into details here, then let me also add that most HDTVs will convert your regular video signals (ie. 480i) into progressive scan (either 480p or 540p or even higher on some). AFAIK, all the Sony HDTVs can convert 480i signals to 480p w/ maybe some allowing you an option.

So even if you don't have a progressive scan DVD player (or some external converter for any other 480i video), the HDTV will likely do it for you, albeit w/ some slight resolution loss and maybe adding a tad of video noise.

The benefits of progressive scan include:

1. Reduction of flicker, which is one problem w/ interlaced video, eg. venetian blind effect is one particular case,

2. All-around smoother, more "film-like" picture, except some occasional conversion artifacts. Frequency and severeness of such artifacts depend a lot on the quality of the converter (or what's commonly known as deinterlacer).

3. On a bigger display, you won't have the problem of distractingly visible scan line structure as described by Bob above.

If you want more details on all of these things, checkout the link I posted above.

_Man_