Feeling Left Out........... (1 Viewer)

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Ok my personal system is as follows

Yamaha RX-V730 6.1 Reciever
Energy Take 5+1 Speakers
Toshiba SD-2815 DVD Player
Motorola DCT 2000 Cable Box with 5.1 out
Panasonic 27" TV cant remember the model # off the top of my head.

Now mind you I live in an apartment so getting a huge system with say Rotel amps and huge speakers is a little out of the question.

Basically I'm noticing there really is no talk about Yamaha Recievers or Energy speakers...is there something I dont know about either that I'm gonna kick myself for buying them even though I did my research and felt I made a sound descision. Or am I correct in assuming that most enthusiasts on this site have much larger systems than this and I'm kind of out of place with my little Apartment Theater system?? hehe guess I'm just feeling left out.

Adam.Gonsman

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy,
I just bought a Yamaha RX-V3300 about 2 weeks ago. I love it. I don't think you made a bad choice for the brand of your reciever. Likewise, I sympathize with you on lack of speaker coverage. I'm running all Mirage speakers and it seems there's next to no mention of them here either.

The thing is, boards like this seem to get stuck in somewhat of a rut. A new member shows up asking for advice and some verteran board members chime in with a couple different brands to try. He tries them likes one and gets it. Now, when another new board memeber asks for advice, he's there to chime in about the brand he bought and further support the same reccomendations as he received. The support seems to grow in this way and the same few brands seem to get a lot more attention than some others.

Skimming back through the archives, at least in the speakers section, every once in a while a "best equipment you've never heard" discussion goes through. There's probably some in this forum too.

Have you tried seaching the archives for occurences of your equipment? Might turn up some stuff.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Jeremy, you have a nice little system. When my friends ask me what should they get for speakers, I steer them to the Energy's. Everytime I set them up and let 'em sing, they have been very happy and are blown away. They are a great speaker package for the money (which is usualy their main concern). They alway get great reviews and respect in all the magazines that I have read.
Your Yamaha is a well built and nice piece to. (I think. I don't follow Yamaha that much)
Don't feel left out there's a place here for everybody. Even me, and my stereo is a CD walkman with headphones I modified into speakers mounted on the wall. :)

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
thanks for the support guys I feel a little better now I definately understand the recomend what you use bit I do the same with Energy I've considered that when I get a house having a seperate HT and Audio system mainly because I like the Veritas so much but I couldn't imagine using such a beautifully sounding speaker in a HT. I based my system on Bang for the buck I love everything I've got though my only complaint is I was under the influence the 730 had DTS-ES decoding but it does not well let me backtrack it does matrix but not discrete to my demise I found out that I should have got the 1300 though I didn't feel I needed the 110x6 that it had or that it really matched what I wanted feature wise. I'm very happy with my Energys and have to remind myself constantly I'm listening to little speakers with BIG sound. I've surprised many friends with there performance especially witht he very grueling EX soundtrack of Star Wars EP 2 specifically the opening sequence and the asteroid chase chapters I've yet to have someone over who's jaw hasn't dropped at the sheer raw power the Take 5's can exhert especially with such a small subwoofer. Eventually I'll get a house and upgrade to larger speakers and probably use my reciever as a pre/pro with seperate amps. We'll see though all in the future, next on my list is a new TV heavily considering the Yamaha DPX-1 Projector since I'd have the versatility of never having a TV too big or too small for the room its in and the shear beauty of the picture quality it exherts.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Jeremy, I took a look at your hometheater pics and I have a couple of suggestions you can do with what you will. I would really try and get proper stands for your front speakers, but until you do, at least place them at the front edge of the tables. Same with your center channel. It looks like in the picture it is recessed a bit. This way you don't get any reflection coming of the table surface. Get some "Blue Tack" from the store and put it on the bottom of your speakers. That will "anchor" them to the table and they can't get knocked off either. It will not leave any marks when you take it off as well.

Anyway, just some thoughts. Stone me if you will..

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
those are very good points actually my wife has been more strenuous on my spending since I sank so much into this :) the stands were hand made by my grandfather out of Mohaganee (sp?) while he was stationed in Panama in the late 20's they're truely beatiful stands though not intended for speakers none the less they serve there purpose at the moment, I have everything right now spaced 19" from baffle to wall seemed like a good distance though I'm sure I can pull everything forward a bit which should give me about 22-23" baffle to wall I never thought about the reflection issue, the speakers themselves have nice feet on them that keep them in place quite nicely I'll move em tonight see how much difference it is, thanks for the great tip.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Jeremy:

Don't be intimidated by what you read. We all started somewhere, and from the looks of it, you're doing just fine with the equipment you have. My buddy just picked up the Yamaha RX-V630 and really enjoys it. I think the Energy Take 5 system is perfect for an apartment.

Welcome.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I was looking at the 630 orginally but decided on the 730 for a few reasons 1.) it had phono in and I own quite a bit of vinyl, 2.) on screen display which is by far one of my favorite features. I am going to try to get some decent stands here soon but its hard finding a nice looking stand for a speaker so small that mounts to the keyhole and doesnt want you to screw the speaker to the stand in some fashion. I figured I spent good money I'm not about to ruin them by screwing something to them:) hehe my wife and I are currently looking at getting into a house and she's already said I get to have a media room she rocks! hehe.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
Jeremy, you are definitely a person who should be reading and contributing to this board.

You are person who wanted to get the most for their money, you educated yourself, you purchased and now you follow the hobby. You are now a full home-theater hobbyist.

You didn't go to your local megastore, talk to some salesman and buy what he said.

You didn't mail order an HTIB.

You went out and found what you thought was the best for you.

You did nothing differently than a person like I did, who has some rotel and B&W. And I did nothing differently than a person who invests much more money than I and gets lexicon separates, wilson speakers, etc.

This hobby is much mine as it is theirs, and its as much yours as it is mine.

Rich

Raphael O

Stunt Coordinator
jeremy ,

you are doing fine man- your gear are all good .
the energy i think is one of the best for small rooms - esp for music.
just save up and wait til you get a home - then do a full upgrade .
for now i think your gear suits your environment.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys anyone have any recomendations on a good set of stands for "micro" satellites that would mount up to the keyhole on the back so I dont have to drill anything into my speakers to mout them?

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy, there tends to be a good bit of discussion on Yamaha around here, you just have to look for it a little. Yamaha receivers are widely respected here and on other forums. The thing is, discussion on the forums tends to go with the latest trends. Discussion here used to flow from Denon to Yamaha based on their product release cycles. But now a number of other manufacturers are making quality receivers and reasonably priced pre/pros so a wider range of products are being discussed here than in the past.

The Energy Take 5 speakers are another that used to be widely discussed on here and pop up from time to time. Back when they first came out rarely would there be a thread talking about Sub/Sat combos that didn't mention those. They're probably one of the most widely recommended setups for entry level or small systems on this forum.

I bet if you had started a thread before you made your purchases asking for recommendations in your price range you would have received a lot for the receiver and speakers you bought.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy:

First of all, don't feel left out. There are biases for and against certain products on this board, and Yamaha has more than its share of defenders and detractors.

This forum is an opinionated subset of the purchasing public, and its collective 'view' should be taken with about a pound of salt.

Name a receiver, ask a question about how it 'sounds' (if a receiver has a sound, but that's another subject), and you'll get more opinions than you'll have bargained for.

You've got a great setup, enjoy. The funny thing about this stuff is this: I have an NAD receiver and JBL speakers in my HT setup, and I used to scoff at my friend and neighbor, with his Sony DE (that's right, DE: anathema around here) receiver and Pioneer speakers. Well, after many DVDs viewed in his system, I've lost the attitude. It sounds great to him, and not terrible to me, and we've enjoyed it more times than I can count. Is my NAD/JBL setup better? I'm not so sure anymore.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
ROFL actually I could probably get away with it our apartments are super insulated even when I get my Energy going (dont let its size fool ya) my neighbors say they dont hear it above me dont know bout the one below me but she's never said anything either though I know you can go out my front door into the hallway of the building which is about 40 feet from the wall the HT is on and hear is like a bell out there sub & all.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Jeremy,

The Yamaha/Energy Take-5 combination is one of the best bang for the buck setups going! I had an RXV-795 and the TAKE-5 plus 8" sub for a couple of years and they were a great combination. I sold the receiver and speakers to a co-worker last year and he still raves about 'em.

Yamaha's mid-line receivers like yours are imho better than similarly-priced units from most other mfgs, more real power and they don't run hot and are reliable as bricks.

For ht the Take-5s with sub are truly amazing. I don't think you can do any better for HT at the price or within a few hundred. I'd still have mine but wanted a bit better midrange for music listening. I still run Energy speakers, just EXL series bookshelf units.

Don't feel left out, ya done real good and will enjoy your system for years to come.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
yeah I've noticed I only enjoy them more as they break in, I've only owned them since December. I really dont push it too hard being in an apartment I've had it pretty loud and I'd be afraid to see what this combo could really do if I chose to really open it up. It sure beats the Sony and mismatched speakers I had before.

Jason GT

Second Unit
Thanks guys anyone have any recomendations on a good set of stands for "micro" satellites that would mount up to the keyhole on the back so I dont have to drill anything into my speakers to mout them?
Energy makes stands designed for the Take system. Additionally, it should not be hard to find rather generic satellite speaker stands.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks