What's new

Feeling a little ripped offed (1 Viewer)

So I decided on the Panasonic PT-L500U. Placed on order today. I specifically chose this model for the DVI input and the native resolution. Then when I called Comcast to order the HDTV service, I was told that their cable boxes (Motorola 6200) only support component interface into the HDTV unit! Bummer! My question to all of you smarties out there, will the picture quality suffer? I thought DVI was cable/satellite was the best. :frowning:

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Monte, the picture quality will still be excellent with component input. Maybe they'll upgrade their box in near future. If you want to sell your projector I'll pay 1/2 price(JUST KIDDING).

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Yeah, you'll be fine Monte...and just give it time, there's no reason they shouldn't enable the DVI output...we had to wait in our area as well, so hopefully it'll be the same situation for you.

Steven_Lazarus

Stunt Coordinator
Bummer Monte, I miss my Comcast cable and internet.. I was stationed in the Bremerton, WA area for 10 years and grew up in the Port Orchard area. Don't sweat the little things in life!!!
Trust me, after moving back to the stone-age here in Sicily, Italy I truely miss my cable television, let alone HDTV and internet service :frowning:
Enjoy your new projector!! eventually they will upgrade, just gives you something to look forward to ! ;) :) :)

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
Monte,
It must be a regional thing for Comcast.
Last week I connected up my Comcast/Motorola 6200 Box to my Hitachi 50V500 via the DVI.
It looks great.
Does it look better than the Component Connection?
Yes, on the Hitachi I feel it does.
It did not make a difference on my Sony KP-57WS510 though.
I can only guess that this is an LCD vs. CRT thing.

When I got the Motorola box back in January, Comcast did not support the use of the DVI out. Now they do, or at least in the Boston metro area.

God Luck, Al. Wise

Yeah, you're all right. This is just a matter of perspective. I guess the other way to look at it is: It's just the way it is for the time being. So I'm going to sit back, and fire up Raiders of the Lost Ark in this baby....

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Since I watch DVD movies MUCH more than HDTV I decided to use my DVI for an upscaling DVD player and stick w/ component for HDTV. I'm always blown away by HDTV PQ even over component, and the slight gain in PQ over DVI for DVD seems more worth it considering that DVD makes up the large bulk of my viewing. You may want to look into the upcomming Denon 1910 DVI upscaling player if you think you would be interested in a player to take advantage of your DVI input.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.