Feel like I wasted the whole weekend

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Wayne Ernst, May 23, 2004.

1. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

My family has been in Florida for a few days, so I've been "batching" it. Friday, when I finished working, I then slipped into quite a "relaxed" mode.

- Watched both "Torque" and "Paycheck"
    - Surfed the Internet
    - Ordered Papa John's pizza (meat lovers version)
    - Slept until nearly noon on Saturday
    - Listened to music
    - Surfed the 'Net some more
    - Cleaned up and headed out
    - Watched a Marshall Tucker Band performance
    - Watched a bit of car racing
    - Ate a burger and had a beer
    - Went home & surfed the 'Net.
    - Ate a panini, some chips 'n dip and Ben & Jerry's "Cookie dough" ice cream.
    - Slept and woke up after 10 this morning.
    - Loaded the dishwasher
    - Researched some test CDs that I was looking to buy.
    - Left the house, picked up the CDs at Best Buy and some stuff at Office Depot.
    - Hit Trader Joes for some "healthy" food.
    - Got back home, tested out my subwoofers with the CDs I purchased.
    - Had some snacks.

Now, some painting has been on my mind all weekend, but, damn, the weekend is nearly gone. I feel like I should have been more productive and gotten a few more things done. The family returns tomorrow and they'll see that I didn't do much while they were gone.

Then again, there's always next weeked. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I did even less than you [​IMG]

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Did you fail to accomplish any "honey-dos" you'd been assigned?

If not, it looks to me like you were actually pretty active, just doing stuff you really wanted to do rather than stuff for others that you felt obligated to do. I see no reason to feel any guilt about this. If your family is kicking back and vacationning in Florida I see no reason why you shouldn't do so at home. None of the activities you listed strike me as being particularly sinful or dangerous to you or your family, it's not like you were out getting lapdances at some strip club or something.

I regularly sleep in until noonish on weekends (used to work graveyard and revert to staying up until the wee hours and sleeping in until at least 11 when not working).

I get disapproving looks from the neighbors when I open the front door to retrieve the Sunday paper at noon, but I still work at a pretty physically and mentally demanding job 40+ hrs a week while my disapproving neighbors are mostly retirees. I live mostly on frozen food and trips to the corner Taco Truck (love Fresno for these) on the weekends, and most forays out of the house are either to said truck or BB or Hollywood video. My family (a dog & cat at this stage) gets taken care of and my bills are paid, I feel no obligation to save the world single handed or engage in anything other than that which gives me pleasure on the weekends.

4. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i know what you mean steve. my parents used to give me grief about sleeping late on the weekends, but i was almost always up late. if i keep up with my grades and such, and i remain in good health, i see no reason why sleeping later and going to bed later has any ill effects on anyone else. i'm up for 16 hours just like everyone else. i'm the one who has to suffer when the week starts again, readjusting to a sleeping schedule can throw everything off.

CJ

5. John*C

John*C Stunt Coordinator

I have been hard at work getting my snappers converted to keepers, used a bit of ink and had to refill the tiny buggers twice. Here's hoping a disc is in the mail tomorrow.[​IMG]

6. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I would die for a weekend like that one. I have been studying for months for a CFA exam that I take in 12 days, and this weekend was spent working my second job for 8 hours on Saturday and a combined 10 hours of studying the rest of the time.

12 days...and counting...then I can dust off the DVD player again and like you, do some things around the house.

7. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

And so what if he had? It's better for you than stuffing your face with pizza and ice-cream.

So what if you wasted a weekend? As long as you don't "waste" every weekend, it's cool.

What CDs did you get? [​IMG]

8. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Sat/laid on the couch for about 12 hours and plowed through most of Buffy Season 4 yesterday. This show is absurdly addictive.

This is the last such weekend I will enjoy for a loooong time. [​IMG]

--
    H

9. Wayne Ernst

[Homer Simpson] Mmmm .... lap dances, Mmmm .... [/Homer Simpson]

Actually, I bought a few Bass Mekaniks CDs for testing out the subwoofers. All in all, the RIAA would be proud of my purchases of CDs this past week: The Rippingtons, Marc Antoine, Euge Groove and Diana Krall.

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

man, that's an *awesome* weekend. i usually don't work fridays, so that's my (as my fiancee calls it) "ted-time". i just lounge around, do whatever the beep i want. it's great.

i think everyone deserves to cut-loose and just goof off once in a while. i had to getup at 6am on sunday for a meeting, but once i got back home around 10am i went back to bed until almos 1pm. [​IMG]

heck ... i say give yourself a pat on the back and try to do it again!

11. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

Wayne, welcome to the life of a teenager.

12. Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor Second Unit

You had "a" beer?????? That is a waste[​IMG]

13. Wayne Ernst

Mark, He-he. Sometimes, I feel like I do act like a teenager. Hey, I'm in this life to have some fun. However, I am 40 going on 41 ... and I'm not dead yet, so "fun" is what it will be. [​IMG]

14. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    Wayne, I'm 38 and I do even less! Saturdays are "unconcious days" for me! [​IMG]

15. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

My weekends are 7 days long and I've had a couple that weren't much more productive than that.

16. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Watched 2 movies? I'd say that was pretty good. I'm always looking forward to the weekend, but never seem to manage much in terms of DVD viewing.

All I managed this weekend was an episode of Firefly (Bushwhacked, which I thought I'd seen on broadcast but turns out I hadn't for some reason or other), finished the commentary on Train Job and got halfway through the commentary on Shindig. I had meant to calibrate my HT setup -- got my Marantz SR8200 back from its upgrade maybe 2 weeks ago -- but since the rear surround is a loaner (the woofers in mine died and I'm waiting for the replacement), I figure I'll have to do it again later anyway so why bother?

Of course, I also managed a fair bit of time-shifted VHS material (NYPD Blue, L&O:CI, Angel, The Restaurant), some of it with my missus, some on my own. And we did go to the gym. And had lunch AND dinner with the in-laws on Sunday.

17. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Anyways, if you're looking to get reprimanded for sitting on your ass all weekend, coming to a forum dedicated to a hobby that involves sitting on your ass the whole time ain't the right move. [​IMG]

18. Wayne Ernst

Good point. However, after making this post on Sunday evening, I got out my drywall tools, fixed some nail pops and areas where we had picture hooks before. I then painted the areas so things looked all good and fresh before the wifey got home.

19. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Welcome to my life. [​IMG]

20. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Take about one third of what you did that weekend and that's what I do in an entire week :b