Feedback request on a Few SACDs

Discussion in 'Music' started by Doug_B, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

I would like opinions on the audio quality of a few SACDs I am considering buying, listed below. These also represent first time purchases of these artists for me. I have listened to some snippets on a couple of web sites to determine potential for me liking the material, but I'll take opinions on the content of the material as well and suggestions for other albums (redbook & DVD-A included) from these artists that are good / better (content and/or quality-wise).

+ Natalie MacMaster - In My Hands
    + Romero - Live at Trinity Church
    + The Tiptons - Surrounded By Horns
    + The Kinks - Everybody's In Showbiz

It's surprising that I have no Kinks albums and am not familiar with most of their material given that I was into classic rock in the past.

+ Bob James - In Hi-Fi

Haven't found any online snippets from In Hi-Fi yet and am not familiar with his material.

Thanks.

Doug

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    The Natalie McMaster I have on SA-CD, glorious! Buy it instantly! I have both Mofi Kinks' SA-CD's. Buy both of 'em, they'll soon be OOP, if not already? You might like Low Budjet more than Everybody's In...? Low Budjet sort of mimmics the Stones on some songs, IMO. It's as if anything the Stones can play, look, we can play better, sort'a.... You said you liked classic rock, well, Low Budjet is a hard rockin' album for them and a good 'un, IMO. The Mofi mastering is splendid too, same for Everybody's...

I have the Bob James In Hi-Fi SA-CD. I'm a bit disappointed in it despite it being mastered by Steve Hoffman. Maybe the tapes were not well-cared for? I put the SA-CD up against some ole Bob vinyl. The vinyl smoked the SA-CD. The SA-CD may sound better than CD issues of this stuff, which I have never heard? I'm used to Sack-Dee's being competative with vinyl and this one is not for me.

I haven't heard the other ones...

3. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Thanks Rachael. Good to get a quality confirmation for In My Hands, as I was already sold from a content perspective.

My tastes have changed since the days my musical tastes began and ended with classic rock. I like more instrumental, acoustic, sometimes even folksy types of sound. I now like less of the driving, in-your-face, can't-make-out-the-instruments music that I found more compelling 25 years ago (a bit of an exaggeration; I never liked my music that "high octane"). I guess age does that to people.

Given that and what I heard online, it seems that Everybody's in Showbiz is more up my alley these days (is it worth it to get Muswell Hillbillies as well, given the overlap?). Not that I may not get Low Budget as well. Hadn't noticed that both of these were MoFi; I don't pay enough attention to this.

Didn't know Steve Hoffman did the mastering for In Hi-Fi. May eventually be a pickup for me. Mentioning Steve and bringing my classic rock "roots" full circle, I was one of the many that was surely stomping their feet and generally amazed when first listening to the Stones SACD releases. Of course, a lot of the old Stones material does line up with my current tastes and is why my current favorite Stones album is Beggar's [If someone can point me to a decent digital version of Exile, if one exists... I probably have the original redbook version].

Doug

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Doug, I got the Koch SA-CD of Musewell Hillbillies and It's OK. It's one of their most critically aclaimed albums but not one of my fav's from their vast catalog. I like Everybody's In... better which was a double LP set back when. The 2 Mofi titles are done so much better than the Koch ones. Mofi originally announced 3 Kinks titles. I can't remember the third one that stalled, it was a 60's title though. I wish it had happened. I suspect the Kinks didn't sell so well for them...? Everybody's In...is part live, part studio. It's got a little of everything. I recommend you snare both Mofi Kinks' albums before they disappear.

If you like Natalie McMasters, you might also like Martha's Troubles and Alison Krauss on SA-CD? The Canadian group Martha's Trobules is rather nice. They do a bluegrass cover of a Police song and get this, they make the Flintstones Theme into a hoedown. Their originals are quite good too. I'm just full of suggestions....[​IMG]

5. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

It seems that some folks on Amazon like the live versions of a few songs on Everybody's in Showbiz better than the original studio versions that appear on Muswell Hillbillies, IIRC. Showbiz will be on my list; I'll think about Low Budget some more. I'm actually familiar with more of its songs than Showbiz.

Already have Krauss + Union Station Live, and had put New Favorite onto my current To-Buy list.

I'll look into Martha's Troubles. Sounds like the kind of music that's right down my alley.

Thanks.

Doug

6. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Listened to relatively lengthy mp3 clips of this album, Still, and it was definitely not up my alley. Way too slow a pace for me and too vocal-heavy. Of course, I could not ascertain the quality of Jen Slocumb's voice with the mp3s, so that could make the songs more enjoyable, but not for every song. As it is, the Alison Krauss material (Live) leans that way as well, though with a larger ensemble of instruments and a few juicy instrumental-only pieces. Thus, it's been well over a year (maybe 2?) to move toward trying a second Krauss album. I think I should rescind the term "folksy" in my second post that describes my current tastes.

MT's Flintstones Theme a hoedown? How about a lullaby (Ann Margrock style, of course).

Thanks.

Doug