Feedback on Yamaha 5550 reciever

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ike_Haynes, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Ike_Haynes

Ike_Haynes Auditioning

Hi all this is my first post, but anyways...

I recently purchased the Yamaha 5550 home theater reciver online and I'm awaiting the arrival. But in the mean time I was wondering if anybody up here that owns one or somethin close to it could give me their thoughts on it. Like sound quality, reliability or their own personal thoughts about it.
    And seeing as though I'm on a reall tight budget I had to go for broke and buy the Yamaha 6 piece speaker set up. The NSP 220 or somethin like that. It was only $100 and Sam's Club. But it has a MSRP of $200. But this is only my first crack at the home theater thing. So I'll get way better stuff next time. But any ways share your opinions.

2. Rokzi

Rokzi Stunt Coordinator

Rodel
    If you're not too diddly-picky then you should be fine.
    I have tried both the 5540, which comes with the YHT-500 home-theater-in-a-box and the 5560 ($599 at Best Buy), which comes with the YHT-900 ($1499 at Good Guys). They both sound great for HT, and for music it's not too bad at all.

This might sound unbelievable: I tried them both (one after the other, YHT-500 first, then the 900) in my home, and the YHT500 (5540) to me sounded better than the YHT 900 (5560).

The 5540 sounds really "crisp" (sorry I'm a newbie at HT and don't really know the jargons yet). What I mean is that the sound of glass breaking is very clear. Thuds sounds like THUD! while on the 5560 thuds sounded like ttthhuuudddd....

I had positioned the speakers exactly the same and tried out the same DVDs/CDs. I was just too bummed that the lower model sounded better than the higher, more expensive one. On the other hand, it might just be my room's acoustic properties..??

I can't tell you anything about its quality, though.

3. Mark.Louis

Mark.Louis Stunt Coordinator

Ike - I don't own the 5550, because I went with another receiver not because of the 5550's performance, but because I wanted more out of the receiver. However, I tested the 5550 extensively when I was reviewing receivers. My opinion is that the 5550 sounded very good for HT, good to very good for music, and the build quality/reliability should be fine. Yamaha's have a good reputation for reliability and service, IMO. You will have to play around a bit with all the DSPs and settings to find which sounds work for you. You should be fine for this receiver so long as you don't get upgraditis...this receiver is limited in that respect.

As far as the speakers, $100 is great for that package - they should serve you well as you venture into HT. Personally, I don't like the sound they produced...just my preference. My guess would be that this is where you will end up wanting to upgrade first...you may find that you max your speakers (particularly a subwoofer) more quickly with this lower end set. You can find some higher rated and better performing HT set-ups in the 375 - 500 range (e.g., JBL NSP 1 paired with a Sony 40 subwoofer).

hope this helps. Good job on the purchase and good luck.

4. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Ike: I've been running a 5550 since this summer in my smaller setup. I really like it and think it is a very good value. It has several soundfield modes and even offers all 3 adjustments for Dolby ProLogic II Music mode (not all receivers do.) It has a low profile and will easily fit into virtually any A/V rack (it still needs to have some breathing room like any other unit though.)

The only user friendly issue I've had is the delay setting. Most manufacturers let you enter speaker distances and the unit calculates the delay itself. The 5550 needs to have the amount of delay entered directly, so that makes setup a little more cumbersome. (There are some tables you can view/print at Dolby.com that give recommended delay values for certain distances. I can offer some advice too if you want.)

I am also of the opinion that the 5550 is easily more than capable of driving much better speakers than your initial set will be (and I understand that you are considering this setup a starting point.) If you get things setup and feel disappointed, take the speakers back and go for something better. The 5550 will be able to deliver...

5. Ike_Haynes

Ike_Haynes Auditioning

Well thanks guys, you've gave me alot of useful info. And made me happy about my purchase. I will be mainly running it for movies/video games since all my games can run in Dolby Digital on my Xbox. Alls I gotta do now is buy My speaker stands for the front speakers and I'll be staight.