What's new

Feedback on the forums main page and all the ads (1 Viewer)

todd stone

Screenwriter
Would it be possible to not have all the ads on the main forum index page, gets a tad annoying scrolling all the way down each time past them :)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Todd,

I don't personally have anything to do with the business dealings of the HTF, I think if the only price there is to pay to hang out here and use this resource and endless fountain of information is to scroll past a few ads on the opening page... well I think that is well worth it.

I think we all realize that the bills need to be paid-- and as long as the HTF is using this method rather than pop-up ads-- we should be grateful!

-Vince

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Agreed. Stationary button ads are highly preferable to pop-ups. I certainly don't mind them if it helps pay the bills, plus it's nice to have a variety of resources grouped together if you need to shop for something (rather than having to search Yahoo! or the like).
I just think of the main page as the "HTF Mall"! :D

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I don't know todd personally, but I'd like to think the smilie means that his post is tongue in cheek and perhaps a sly comment on the "Sick of SVS threads" elsewhere in Feedback.

Am I right todd?

Everyone must know that there's no free lunch and we're fortunate to have some corporate help to keep this treasured forum alive.

And it takes hardly any time to skim by ads or ghastly long (Star Wars) threads that you (I) have no interest in.

Jim

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Vince, I agree wholeheartedly. I despise pop-up ads. Can someone please make them stop? :angry:

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Keith:

Are you saying that you are getting pop up ads here? Or are you just wanting Vince to get rid of all pop up ads? If you are getting pop up ads here then something is going on with your browser as we have no pop up ads anywhere on HTF.

Parker

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
todd:
Yes. Just send me a check for $50,000 a month (cash only) for the next 30 years and I will be a happy to remove all the ads from the main page. Now the ads in the forums that is another matter all together. :)
Parker

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
Consistent with the good-taste monitoring of posts to keep quality up as much as possible, the ads here are also in good taste, relevant to HTF topics, of minimal distraction, usually don't delay loading of pages significantly, and don't use any of the notorious browser devices (pop-ups etc.) that other websites allow. Plus - they allow the free membership we enjoy. At least that's my experience with them.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Even on Opera, which has a habit of loading all or most images before displaying a web page, the main HTF page loads pretty quick. I don't mean to blast any other forums at all, but there are a few other ones that take a long time to load in Opera (I'm talking a minute or two on my dial-up connection), even with less ads. So, actually, I think we have it pretty good.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Who ever thought up/invented pop-up ads should be shot. 90% of the time I am able to close them before they load anyway. Thank God HTF does not use them.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Who ever thought up/invented pop-up ads should be shot.
Yikes. :eek: :)
Frank, I don't know if you use a Pop-Up Filter or not, but I suggest you invest in one. I use one and I have not been violated by an in-your-face ad since. It has blocked 100% of all Pop-Ups that I have run across. But, the best thing about it is that it makes it so that the Pop-Ups don't even use bandwidth, you never see them period. The program is called Popup Ad Filter from Meaya Software and I can't surf without it anymore.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Travis,

I will take a look at it. I have tried two filters and have had mixed results. Neither worked very well.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Does it also filter the "floating" pop-ups? These are ads that do not pop-up in their own windows, but sort of "float" over whatever you're trying to look at until you manage to find the close button. Very insidious "next generation" of pop-ups that I find even more annoying.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I do have one question concerning ads. Does it make sense to have SVS adds in the DIY forum? No big deal. Just seems kind of out of place. Kind of like a Mustang at a Corvette convention! :)
Brian

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Travis, I have the same one as you and it is the best one I have used, hands down. Malcolm, no it does not get rid of floating ads and I know what you mean... Very annoying. :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks