Feedback on the forums main page and all the ads

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd stone, May 9, 2002.

1. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

Would it be possible to not have all the ads on the main forum index page, gets a tad annoying scrolling all the way down each time past them [​IMG]

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Todd,

I don't personally have anything to do with the business dealings of the HTF, I think if the only price there is to pay to hang out here and use this resource and endless fountain of information is to scroll past a few ads on the opening page... well I think that is well worth it.

I think we all realize that the bills need to be paid-- and as long as the HTF is using this method rather than pop-up ads-- we should be grateful!

-Vince

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Agreed. Stationary button ads are highly preferable to pop-ups. I certainly don't mind them if it helps pay the bills, plus it's nice to have a variety of resources grouped together if you need to shop for something (rather than having to search Yahoo! or the like).
    I just think of the main page as the "HTF Mall"! [​IMG]

4. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

I don't know todd personally, but I'd like to think the smilie means that his post is tongue in cheek and perhaps a sly comment on the "Sick of SVS threads" elsewhere in Feedback.

Am I right todd?

Everyone must know that there's no free lunch and we're fortunate to have some corporate help to keep this treasured forum alive.

And it takes hardly any time to skim by ads or ghastly long (Star Wars) threads that you (I) have no interest in.

Jim

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Vince, I agree wholeheartedly. I despise pop-up ads. Can someone please make them stop? [​IMG]

6. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Keith:

Are you saying that you are getting pop up ads here? Or are you just wanting Vince to get rid of all pop up ads? If you are getting pop up ads here then something is going on with your browser as we have no pop up ads anywhere on HTF.

Parker

7. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    todd:
    Yes. Just send me a check for $50,000 a month (cash only) for the next 30 years and I will be a happy to remove all the ads from the main page. Now the ads in the forums that is another matter all together. [​IMG]
    Parker

8. Doug Pyle

Doug Pyle Second Unit

Doug
    Consistent with the good-taste monitoring of posts to keep quality up as much as possible, the ads here are also in good taste, relevant to HTF topics, of minimal distraction, usually don't delay loading of pages significantly, and don't use any of the notorious browser devices (pop-ups etc.) that other websites allow. Plus - they allow the free membership we enjoy. At least that's my experience with them.

9. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Even on Opera, which has a habit of loading all or most images before displaying a web page, the main HTF page loads pretty quick. I don't mean to blast any other forums at all, but there are a few other ones that take a long time to load in Opera (I'm talking a minute or two on my dial-up connection), even with less ads. So, actually, I think we have it pretty good.

10. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Who ever thought up/invented pop-up ads should be shot. 90% of the time I am able to close them before they load anyway. Thank God HTF does not use them.

11. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson

12. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Travis,

I will take a look at it. I have tried two filters and have had mixed results. Neither worked very well.

13. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Does it also filter the "floating" pop-ups? These are ads that do not pop-up in their own windows, but sort of "float" over whatever you're trying to look at until you manage to find the close button. Very insidious "next generation" of pop-ups that I find even more annoying.

14. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I do have one question concerning ads. Does it make sense to have SVS adds in the DIY forum? No big deal. Just seems kind of out of place. Kind of like a Mustang at a Corvette convention! [​IMG]
    Brian

15. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Travis, I have the same one as you and it is the best one I have used, hands down. Malcolm, no it does not get rid of floating ads and I know what you mean... Very annoying. [​IMG]