Feedback on Shadowlands dvd please...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Nick Senger, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Nick Senger

Nick Senger Stunt Coordinator

I saw this title on sale for $5.99 (regularly $7.50) at a local store and wondered about the video and sound quality, or if perhaps there is a special edition in the works and they are trying to clear out old stock.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Nick

2. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

3. Nick Senger

Thanks! Not only did you point me to some helpful reviews, but now I have two more review sites to add to my list.

4. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

You're welcome. I saw this movie in its theatrical release. I remember it being a four-hanky weeper [​IMG], but with excellent performances by Hopkins, Winger & that kid (he was also in the original 'Jurassic Park').

5. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

6. Nick Senger

Thanks for the link, Andy. What a time saver it's going to be! I wish I would have known about it three months ago when I started searching for reviews for discs on my wishlist.

7. Alistair_M

Alistair_M Second Unit

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108101/
    Any news on a new DVD version of this superb drama? Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger give very strong performances.
    I've got the current region 1 and its a very so-so transfer, non-anamorphic and distinctly soft and grainy in many places.

8. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

I would much prefer seeing a DVD release of the original BBC TV version with Joss Ackland and Claire Bloom, which among other things stays much closer to the truth (Joy Gresham's second son is not zapped out of existence in this one) and also doesn't water down the real reason why the two were first drawn to each other, namely the depth of their mutual Christian faith.

9. Alistair_M

Alistair_M Second Unit

Shadowlands (1993) deserves at least an anamorphic transfer.
    I liked this review of the movie by Ebert
    http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_...01/898238.html
    Hope we'll get a re-issue with a better transfer soon.
    I checked on region 2 (play.com) and they don't have any release of Shadowlands.

10. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Eric P, good comment.

Haven't seen the original production you referred to, but when I saw the Hopkins movie once, didn't quite get it, in terms of what I knew about CS Lewis.

11. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

Thanks John. There is a VHS release of the BBC film that can often be found in most public libraries with large VHS holdings for rental. Not sure if it's still in print though. But it is a superior production and well worth checking out.

12. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

Well, is the BBC production like a regular bio-pic? There is a play "Shadowlands" which is what the Hopkins movie is based on (unless it's actually vice-versa), so obviously the Hopkins movie will be more faithful to that (and all of its theatrics I guess), whereas a more historically accurate, bio-pic kind of movie about the characters would have more historical facts right.

13. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

The BBC production is the original source material that led to the play and then the theatrical movie. William Nicholson wrote all three versions. It is not presented as a "biopic" but tells the same story the play and movie does, only a lot better. The structure and dialogue in the Hopkins movie is almost identical to that of the original Ackland-Bloom production.