Feedback on LCD Rear Projection

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Harvey Johal, May 6, 2004.

1. Harvey Johal

Harvey Johal Auditioning

Hi all,

I'm helping some friends shop for a set. We've narrowed it down to the following makes/models and am curious what some of you may have for feedback on them.

We've narrowed it down to the following:
    1. Sony 60" XBR® Grand WEGA™ KDF-60XBR950
    2. Panasonic 50” PT-50LC13
    3. Hitachi 60” 6(or G)0V500

Any feedback on the above would be appreciated.

Thanks All,
    Harvey

2. Danny Beck

Danny Beck Stunt Coordinator

Well, I personally feel that Sony makes some of the finest tvs on the market. Their GW III is often referred to as the best LCD Projection in terms of picture quality. Of course there have been reliability issues but most of those seem to have been ironed out by now.

The other two sets are both fine. I just don't think they look quite as sharp and vivid as the Sony.

3. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

Danny,
    Do you know if there is a certain date that I should look for on the Sony model?

4. Danny Beck

Danny Beck Stunt Coordinator

As long as you go to a bigger store that sells lots of sets you should get a pretty recent model. I wouldn't worry about that. You'll get a newer model.

5. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I was looking at these and decided on a 55" CRT Mits for 1/2 the price was a better value but if you are set on LCD, then the LCD XBR is astounding looking. Black level is still pretty poor but its LCD so its a compromise you have to accept. The XBR was the best LCD I've seen of the bunch and I've seen a bunch of them including the LG variants.