Feedback on HT equip before i spend some $$$$

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by AndrewVital, Sep 23, 2003.

1. AndrewVital

AndrewVital Agent

Hello,
    I have been looking around and researching home theater components for about 6 months now. I decided to have a company give me a quote on a home theater, and then compare what equipment they suggested.
    Here is a list, please give me any feedback.(please scroll down)

Part Number
    Description
    QTY
    Price

VPLVW12HT
    Sony Hi Def. LCD Projector

8ft x 12ft bright white electric screen

RC80
    Polk 8" Two Way Round speakers
    750.00 (for 3 pairs)

RXV1400
    Yamaha surround Receiver (6.1)

PSW404
    Polk Subwoofer

DVDC740
    Yamaha DVD Chamger

Installation

From what research I have done after reciving this quote, i have learned that the sony projector, which is LCD, isn't that good.. so i am considering the NEC HT1000 DLP proj (the 500 dollar rebate goin on now makes that option even sweeter).

Reguarding the receiver, i told him I wanted 6.1 dolbly digital and thats what he specd for a reciever. Would i want a sound processor or something? (I am a novice at high quality home theater, i had a 5.1 dobly digital setup in my living room before i started to gut my house, but i wanted to build a really high quality system) SO is a processor necessary?

With the speakers, how are polk speakers. I know this guy is a bose dealer too, so i could get a price on those too. My only expirence is with polk subs, and i know those can pound, but i don't have any exirence with their regular speakers.

If you could give me your honest opinion of this quote, as well as any suggestions.. like say you know of a component that is better for around the same money or something like that, I'd appreciate it.

also I alm looking for a way to automate this. I was looking into a crestron unit but i have no idea as to what those go for (The guy that quoted this said he refers customers who wish to have this to another company that deals stickly with automation and that sort of things, so i have ot get a seperate quote for that)

Final thought, this is a 30 x 25 room and i'm looking for a 120" screen, or there abouts. I want to have it be as "true to theater" as possible with in a reasonable price point. I don't mind spending a few extra bucks if i know it'll be that less prone to oblesence and I will notice a performnce increase.

thank you, and sorry for the long post.
    Andrew Vital

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

I'd seriously consider waiting for the Sony VPL-HS20. It should be out in a month, and the MSRP on it is $1500 under your quoted price, so market price should be even lower. It'll have the same resolution as the VPL-VW12H, higher contrast (definitely a good thing), MLA euipped panels just like the 12H, HDMI input, is quieter, and will probably have less expensive bulbs.

BTW, the 12H is going to be discontinued. *wave-wave*. No reason to have it around with the HS20.

BTW, the screen price could be very good, and very bad. You need to get specifics. Company, screen material, frame model.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I second the wait for the HS20. The HS10 was a lot of projector for the price and this should be even sweeter. The Yammy 1400 is a good choice BTW but you may also want to consider the RX-V2400 with the money you would save in the projector.

4. Mark McGill

Mark McGill Stunt Coordinator

I can't help with the display part, but for the sound. Well here goes. Polks are okay,but not great. There is alot of other speakers out there that are a whole lot better for a little more money. BTW Bose is not one of them. As for the the sub, no way is a that sub going to do anything more that work hard and bottom out in a room that size.

There sorry for being blunt, and others will disagree, which is great, however subs do need a lot of power to make them work and the Polks just don't have it. You should plan on spending double to triple that for a sub. Other than SVS which I have, try Velodyne, Paradigm, and maybe the larger Energy subs. Also in a room that size, don't rule out duel subs too. Good luck.

5. AndrewVital

AndrewVital Agent

Is this new sony projector going to be DLP? I really want a DLP projector. Can someone suggest a good dlp projector in the $5000 range. I love that NEC HT1000 but it says it needs a 9ft ceiling height. I emailed NEC but they have yet to email me back. If thats true then i wont' be able to use that, so what would be a better option?

Reguarding audio.. i wouldn't be opposed to spending more money if it'll buy me a better system. How are these recievers? Are yamaha good? reguarding the speakers/sub.. i wouldn't be opposed to 2 either, whats a good one in the 500 range?

thanks,
    Andrew

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The Sony is LCD. Whatever you do, you need to demo it for yourself before purchasing. A good DLP to look at is the Sharpvision 9000U and the 10000U as well as the Infocus 7200.

7. AndrewVital

AndrewVital Agent

Yes, those look like very good projectors, however the Sharpvisions are too far out of budget. But taht Infocus i found for 6500, may just fit in.
    Am i wrong to want a DLP rather then LCD?
    or is this as bad as asking what is the meaning of life?

8. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

$6500? You can have a D-ILA! [​IMG]

9. AndrewVital

AndrewVital Agent

sorry to sound dumb.. but what is a D-ILA?

10. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

D-ILA is sort of a hybrid between LCD and DLP. It uses liquid crystal (like LCD) on silicon to reflect light (like DLP).

DILA/LCOS projectors use 3 panels, like LCD, so there are no rainbows nor the associated headaches. Since there are 3 panels and no colorwheel, the colors tend to be the best of the 3 major technologies too. In terms of pixel fill rate (higher the better; higher means less screen door effect):

LCD: 40-60%
    LCD w/MLA: Upwards of 80% or so
    Single chip DLP: 85-88%
    DILA/LCOS: 91-93%

Also, the dark area around each pixel is gray on LCOS/DILA projectors, instead of black like LCD & DLP. Thus, they seem to have a more smooth, "filmlike" picture.

In terms of brightness, LCOS/DILA projectors seem brighter than LCD projectors, even at the same ANSI lumens. LCD's are subjectively brighter than DLP's at the same lumens.

LCOS/DILA projectors tend to have better contrast than LCD projectors, but not as good as DLP. DLP projectors still have the lowest black levels.

LCOS projectors have the highest resolution of any consumer projector. The most reasonably priced DILA/LCOS projector, the JVC DLA-SX21u (and associated clones), has a native resolution of 1400x1050. Consumer LCD's seem to go upwards of 1366x768, and DLP's 1280x720.

[​IMG]

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/Attributes/f...l_id=MDL101363

There are other differences too, of course, but these are some of the major ones.

11. AndrewVital

AndrewVital Agent

Ya, that seems like a great technology, but again I don't have the 10 grand to drop merely on a projector. I'm looking for the best darn projector that I can get for between 5 and 7k. Would that Infocus 7200 be the one for me? Or woudl that new sony be a better fit?

Thanks

12. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

You can pick one up, with a 5 year warranty, for about $6500 or less. You don't need to drop 10k.

I may be able to get you an Infocus SP7200 at a special discount if you end up deciding on that one too. I can't promise anything on this unit, but I can try.

13. AndrewVital

AndrewVital Agent

Well 6500 woudl be nice for that kind of unit. Would you have a brand name to go with that? I know i want to at least give the guy that I had come to my house a chance to bid on the projector before I go out and buy one online. If he can match the price or come pretty close i'll go through him, but if he can't i'll just buy it online. So i'm tryin to find the make/model that I want so i can give it to him for a price quite.

Thanks for all the info, and if you could just maybe get me a model number of one that would fit the bill for 6500 i'd be in yoru debt.

Andrew

14. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Dukane ImagePro 9017. $6365 plus ship. Located in MD, so no tax for you.

15. Steve Lucas

Steve Lucas Stunt Coordinator

As for sub..it's not at your $500 price point, but I paid $699 for my Paradigm SW-2200 and I couldn't be happier with it. Not only will it shake the foundation of the house, but it is very good and accurate on music too. Do yourself a favor and listen to one.
    Many here swear by the SVS subs too. They seem to have great bang for the buck. Give them a look also.

Steve

16. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

[Remember: when talking resolution specs, "p" means progressive scanning and "i" stands for interlaced scanning.]

The constantly changing projector market is a place of great termoil right now.

I would not want to spend much more than $3,000 on a projector in today's rapidly changing and advancing digital tech. (DLP, LCoS, D-ILA, LCD, etc.) climate. Use the savings on speakers, receivers, etc. Currently there is work under way from Sony, JVC, and Texas Instruments to release 1920 x 1080p, widescreen chips, but more affordable offerings at that resolution will be a long time in coming (5 years maybe).

The upcoming Sony HS20 will have native widescreen (16x9, or more specifically 1.78:1), HD LCD panels, 12 bit video processing (for many more color and grey scale gradients than standard 10 bit processing), MLA grid on the LCD panel, two digital video inputs (DVI-D and HDMI), its panel resolution is actually higher than the 1280 x 720p HDTV specification (and down-rezes the next HD resolution, 1920 x 1080, fairly well without much in the way of artifacting), and it will accept 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and (in a very rare turn) 1080p source signals.

It's older brother, the HS10, got some pretty stellar reviews considering its price point (the internal guts are even better for the HS20) and many believe the quirks in that earlier model have been worked out in the HS20. The HS10, in some benchmark testing, out performed the Sony 12HT that you had a price quote on, and that's a savings of $2,000 along with digital video inputs and 12 bit video processing (HS20) that the 12HT does not have!

Get some information about the Stewart Filmscreen GrayHawk or FireHawk material in a 1.78:1 ratio. These, and others like them from Dalite, are specifically designed for digital projectors. Sometimes Don Stewart pokes around the AVS Forum in the "screens" section. He'd be the man to ask!

With a digital front projector and considering bulb life and the expense to replace the bulbs, I would use a smaller rear projector or tube TV (HD or not-- your choice)for non-critical viewing like the news, sports shows (not the games themselves), etc. to save the life of your projector. It can be in the living room, bedroom, etc. A projector is mainly for DVD watching and HD sources that call for a big screen experience.

I would also take a look at B&W, Tannoy, NHT, PSB, JM-Labs, Energy, Mirage, and others before settling on Polk speakers (never, ever get Bose!!). You ought to look at a receiver like the Denon AVR-2803 (if you want to chance it and get a better deal then I've had great luck with www.soundpros.com) than the Yamaha IMHO. It would also be an excellent low-cost pre-amp by adding future power amplifiers to it as you work your way up to separates.

If you want to try out a universal player (SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video) then the two I'd look at right now are the Pioneer 563A (around $150-$170; more of a tied-me-over type player until universal players have a high rez. digital audio output) and the new Denon DVD-2200 ($500-$600), which would more than likely have better build quality and better audio innerds, plus advanced de-interlacing capabilities.

Dan

17. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

18. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter