Feedback on Center/SL/SR speakers?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Matt_Phil, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Matt_Phil

Matt_Phil Auditioning

Jan 31, 2005
    New to the board with a quesion. I have a KLH R5100 receiver hooked up optically with my Playstation 2 to play DVD's in true Digital Surround Sound. I have 2 3ft Sony speakers as my two front, left and right. I have a no-name center channel and two Harman Kardon satellite speakers for the Surround Left and Surround Right. My question is this, when I change to DVD mode (DVD-Optical) I get this horrid feedback from my center channel and the two rear satellite speakers but not the front two. I have played with the receiver a little, changing the setting from "large" to "small" but that made little or no difference. I am using high quality speaker wire with the two fronts and the center channel. I have low grade wire running to the surround rears. I tried swapping the low grade wire out with the high grade with little or no improvement. I am beginning to think it is the fact that I am using a Playstation to play my DVD's and not an actual DVD player. Do you guys have any ideas that might get rid of this terrible feedback?

Thanks in advance,
  2. John S

John S Producer

Nov 4, 2003
    hmmm, hard to grasp exactly what your saying.

Does it do it in any other surround modes? That is if it has others to even try. I have never had even a similar problem conveyed to me.

Your playstation does have some options on it...

Bitstream should be set not PCM...
    Of course DD and DTS should be enabled.

Best of luck with it. Do you have any other sources besides the PS2? More just for diagnosis purposes.