Feedback needed on pending EBay/Half.com Feedback Merger!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Balcziak, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

We've known for some time that Half.com is an EBay company, but now they're going to merge the seller ratings between the sites and the process they've adopted seems kind of unbalanced.

For what it's worth, I have a 226 positive feedback rating at EBay (no neutral or negative feedback) and a 4.9 rating at Half.com (107 positives and two neutrals--both the neutrals are due to USPS delays).

Now EBay says I have to decide whether or not to merge my Half.com ratings with my EBay ratings. If I choose to add the Half.com ratings, my perfect EBay rating takes a hit (I go from 226+ positive at EBay to 312+, 2 neutral combined). If I decide NOT to add the Half.com ratings, they get discarded completely--which seems patently unfair to me.

The logic behind these combined ratings escapes me. Since I sell mainly DVDs and CDs at Half.com, my ratings are weighted toward commodity transactions. At EBay, I tend to sell bigger ticket items which require a lot more time, energy and accountability. To me, the ratings should not be combined because they are not equal in weight.

Plus, there is no feedback response allowed at Half.com, which means a buyer can flame you without recourse (at EBay, you can give feedback to buyers and respond to negative feedback--which cuts down GREATLY on undeserved negative feedback).

So...I am wondering what to do...do I add the Half.com feedback or discard it?

This issue affects everyone who has an account with both EBay and Half.com, so I'd appreciate some conversation on what strategy works best over the long run.

2. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

I'd say discard the half.com feedback. Your 226 on eBay with no negs/neutrals is as good as 1000 feedback with no negs/neuts. After a while, it doesn't matter as long as you have very few (or no) negatives.

Yes, it seems like hard work down the drain to throw out the half.com feedback, but feedback is only good if it will get you a future sale, and I think 100% spotless feedback has a better chance of doing that.

Not that I wouldn't buy from you with either rating, if you were selling something I wanted. Honestly, I don't think you're losing either way.

3. Daniel Swartz

Daniel Swartz Second Unit

I would merge the two. 2 neutral or negative ratings on 200+ transactions really doesn't matter. That's less than 1% negative. Personally, I have 1 negative on 59 transactions (the rest positive) and find that people don't care. I think the bigger crime would be to waste all of your positive comments on Half.com.

4. Bill Balcziak

Interestingly, this new policy only applies to accounts that share a single e-mail address (i.e., you use the same e-mail address for your Half.com and EBay accounts). I changed my Half.com e-mail account e-mail address to another account, and voila, I don't have to merge my feedback anymore and all my previous feedback at both sites remains intact.
    Go figure. [​IMG]

5. Bill Balcziak

The sites were "merged" today, and it seems that if you changed your account e-mail for either site in anticipation of the merger, you were allowed to keep the feedback separate. (This issue only affected people who had the same e-mail account on record for both sites.) However, they don't tell you you need to enter your "new" e-mail address as your user name at login today. It took me awhile to figure it out, thanks in part to the poorly written "help" screen at Half.com.

6. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer