What's new

Feedback needed.... (It's nice to be back here again!) (1 Viewer)

Johnal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnal
Hi Everyone,
I believe it’s been over a year since I’ve been on these forums and I’ve recently gotten back into trying to develop my home theater and music experience. I currently have the HK7200 Receiver, a pair of the Ascend Acoustic CMT-340 Mains and the CMT-340 Center. After getting this setup last year I encountered some personal issues that prevented me from pursuing my hobby. Things seem to have been improving and I have just ordered my PC-Ultra sub and it should be here on Monday. I have also wanted to go with a pair of CBM-170’s for my surround speakers. I was just curious as to any opinions on my future setup from the people here on this forum since I always came here with my questions and concerns before. I also recently went into an home theater store in my area that was a dealer for Velodyne subwoofers and the man was very helpful when I asked about the subwoofers, but when I shared with him my current setup and my plans he kind of implied that the Velodyne isn’t the type of sub someone like me would want. Apparently my setup is not balanced and needs to be rethought out??? I dunno…maybe I was just paranoid but it seemed a little condescending. I’ve always liked the sound of my setup, but this guy really made me question my decisions with his snooty ways. I think maybe he was trying to steer me into getting some new equipment or something...Anyway, thanks for takin’ the time.

-Johnal

P.S. Ya um...not impressed with the Velodyne that was at a comparable price of the PC-Ultra.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Your system sounds very nice. The top end Velodyne stuff is excellent, but expensive.

He makes his living selling what he has. No incentive to encourage you to continue to buy internet products. He had little if anything to lose by trying to suggest that Velodyne is a better product.

You made a good choice with the PC-Ultra. Velodyne has nothing comparable for what you paid for the SVS.

Welcome back. You will love the PC-Ultra. And your purchases seem to be good ones all the way around.

Johnal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnal
Thanks for the quick response! I don't have any friends that are into this very much so any kind of feedback from people that are somewhat knowledgeable really helps! I guess it's like having a support group by being here on the forum. :P

-Johnal

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Johnal,

Those Ascend CBM-170's are excellent as surrounds, or mains even. I have one system using them on all 6 full range channels (set with 80hz bass management crossover to a sub naturally) and have been quite impressed. I've also run 6.1 and 7.1 modes with the very same front and centers (and CBM-170's as surrounds only) with excellent results with the same bass management configuration.

The latter system was set up in a very large room yet these speakers acquitted themselves very well indeed.

You have zero to worry about and even less to apologize for to any snooty A/V retail types, or anyone else for that matter.

Get Avia and an SPL meter to dial everything in (do not rely on "winging it" by ear, your stuff is entirely too good for that approach to system setup) and you are THERE.

Ron
SVS

John S

Senior HTF Member
The sales guy, was sort of being honest. But should not have dog'd your system at all. You have a nice system.

I will try to translate what he said for you....

"Your the type person that wants to piece together a system to achieve a greater return performance wise on your investment, these are not the types that usually purchase new Velodyne DD series subwoofers"

Is that better? :)

Your system sound sway nice in my book by the way... :)

John S

Senior HTF Member
PS: The cheapo Velodyne I like that competes price / performance wise with SVS stuff is the DLS5000R. I'll bet he didn't even carry the DLS line.

Johnal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnal
Hey Ron,
Thanks for your reply! If there's one thing I'm confident in, it's that the PC Ultra will do it's job better than any other sub that I've looked at so far. I actually had plans on hitting up Radio Shack for the SPL meter after work today so that on Monday I'll be good to go! (Yeah...takin' the day off!) I don't even care if the sub comes in late in the afternoon when I would have been off work anyway...i can take the time in the morning to perfectly clean the area where the sub will most likely be placed. Oh...and about my girlfriend of 3 years who left me for splurging on my subwoofer...well she'll be coming by on Tuesday to pick up the rest of her stuff from my place...I can guarantee you I'll be watching LOTR while wearing my SVS T-shirt!

-Johnal

Johnal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnal
John,

Yeah...I definitely liked the way you worded it a lot better. I'm not leaving this thread feeling like a schmuck so yeah...good job. :)

-Johnal

Johnal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnal
Well Rogelio,
She was one of those girls that had no problem with me spending money on making her feel special and wonderful, but as soon as I bought a toy for myself, it was nothing more than a waste of money in her eyes. Anyway, I had been gawking over this subwoofer for over a year and it was about time I did something for myself. I guess the flaw in my plan was that I had told her a couple months ago that I couldn't afford taking her on a vacation/cruise for our anniversary (Vegas apparently isn't good enough) . Of course there were other issues, but the sounds of sweet music will ease the pain i'm sure. :)

-Johnal

Johnal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnal
Amen Robert! Actually I notice your from "The OC"...i'm in Costa Mesa and that got me thinking. Last year I signed up for this thing online where you could post your system and people in your surrounding area could look you up and e-mail you so that they could take a listen to your setup. Does this ring a bell for anyone? As soon as I get my sub and rears I'd love to start doing demo's for my fellow home theater junkies!

-Johnal

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks