Feedback for Marantz/Paradigm combo

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Workman, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Dan Workman

Dan Workman Extra

I am just starting out in HT and just wanted some feedback regarding what I am considering. So far I have the Mitsubishi WS-55819 TV and Toshiba SD4800 DVD player. I have been looking into receivers, speakers and subs and here is what I am considering:

Marantz 5200 receiver
    Paradigm speakers:
    Titans for mains
    CC170 for center
    Atoms for rears
    PDR-10 for a subwoofer

Room size is about 21 by 16 with an 8 ft ceiling. Use will be about 60% HT and 40% music. Pricing out this receiver and speakers, the cost will be about $1400-$1500. Anybody else have this combo or close that can comment? Also, any other Paradigm combo I should consider that will keep this receiver/speaker/sub package around $1500 (or up to $2000 tops)?

Thanks in advance for the input!

Dan

2. StephanieM

StephanieM Extra

I too am interested in any feedback on pairing Paradigm with Marantz. In particular, the Monitor 11s/CC-370/PDR-12/minis with the 7200 receiver. I've been reading about the new 7300 release (a dealer told me he expects Christmas release) but unfortunately cannot wait that long. Any feedback is appreciated as I'm torn between the 7200 and the Denon 3802. Thanks.

3. JohnBrianW.

JohnBrianW. Stunt Coordinator

I've listened to the monitor series and personally didn't like them. To me the B&W 600 series sounds much cleaner. What I did like even more than the B&W's was Paradigm's reference series. Personally, if I was sticking with Paradigm I would go with 2 studio 20's and the studio CC. Some other speakers that I've really liked are Totem and Axiom, and in particular as mentioned the VP150 and either the M50 or the M40.
    I've also heard good things about M&K and loook forward to auditioning

4. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

The Marantz/Paradigm combo is one made in heaven. Paradigm's, by their nature, are a bit forward-sounding, sometimes even 'bright'. Marantz amplifiers have a nice neutral sound, which borders close to warmth. This is the perfect foil to the high-end of the Paradigm's and makes for a well-balanced system.

/Jeff

5. JohnBrianW.

JohnBrianW. Stunt Coordinator

Thats interesting you say the Paradigms are forward sounding. To my untrained ear the monitors sound veiled compared to the studios. I did find the studios forward sounding, but I like that in a speaker.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I feel the performance line bookshelves are a little sloppy in the midrange compared to the Monitor line, which are also a bit soft in the mid compared to the Studios.
    I don't know if I would say "veiled", but there is a very noticable difference between the Studio and Monitor line, and that is also why there is a fairly large PRICE difference between them also. The Studios sound much more pleasing with music. I don't know what any of this has to do with the original question though, since he was not asking about the Monitor or Studio lines.
    So...
    If you are getting Titans as mains, I would have to suggest just getting another pair as rears, the price difference is minimal and it is worth it. My very first setup was as you mentioned, and I was not pleased with the Atoms as surrounds, so I traded them in for a Pair of Titans was happier with them. So much so that the Titans are still serving as surrounds in my current setup.
    *edit - Probably should mention that I am using an SR6200 with my Paradigms. [​IMG] They pair very well.
    One more suggestion, as someone had already listed them as well, you should definitely take a look at Axiom Audio. The M3Ti can be had for not much more than the Titan, and they are better speakers.