Feed Me Receivers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee M T, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

Hello all,
    I'm not ready to buy anything yet, I am basically beginning my search. So I'm looking for opinions and then I can begin going through them. Here's what I need.
    - I never listen to the radio
    - I occasionally listen to CD's
    - I rarely watch movies
    - I play many video games (Gamecube, PS2, Xbox coming soon)
    - Small room
    - Component Ins/Outs
    - S Video Ins/Outs
    - Opticals and Coaxials
    - $500 +/-
    Also noteworthy, I'm a detailed kind of guy. I like the guts of audio equipment. For example, in car audio I'm in love with high-nd Phoenix Gold. So if you can cater to me in that way, I'll smile. [​IMG]
    Thanks for all of the help!

2. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Lee:

If you rarely watch movies, only occasionally listen to CDs and never listen to the radio, why in the world do you want a home theater receiver?

Larry

3. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Lee, this board has its own search engine. And the A/V magazines are commonly available (including Sound & Vision's 2003 Annual Equipment Directory). Why not check those out and then come to this board with more specific questions? And, agreed, this seems like a strange place to visit if you're only marginally interested in music and "rarely" watch movies.

5. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Jack:

I believe your previous post should have been addressed to Lee, not me.

Larry

6. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

Roger That Larry

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Sorry Larry. Haste makes waste as Mr. Franklin said.

8. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

Yeah, I've been doing a lot of searching. I posted a more specific thread, but no one replied. [​IMG] It's no biggy.
    Yes, I would like to play my games in surround sound. I'm looking for a receiver, because in my situation, going after a preamp and amp would be way too expensive.
    I actually make music, I own an independent record company, I just never listen to my music or any other in my house, usually in my car or elsewhere. I do, of course, preview my own music a few times on my home stereo. So I'll be able to do that no problem with my future surround setup.
    Anyhow, I was looking at the Denon 1803, Onkyo TX-SR600, Yamaha HTR-5560, and Pioneer VSX-D811S. All are $499 except for the Pioneer which is $399. I guess, for my situation they all will do the job about the same. I've gone through countless reviews and a whole slew of posts here at the forum and can't seem to decide on anything. I'm really not sure why. I am just extremely picky and meticulous, is what it boils down too.
    The Onkyo and Yamaha have the highest comp video Mhz specs. I don't have an HDTV now, but going with such a high number (50Mhz) on the Onkyo may be good for the long run?
    Thanks for any and all feedback.
    Lee

9. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Maybe you should also consider just buying some surround speaker set, like LOGITEK Z680, for computers and game consoles is great, and you wont need to spend a lot on a receiver. But if you have the cash, buy a Pioneer VSX811.

One othe question, with what speakers are you going to match your setup.

10. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

I've been thinking more and more about the Pioneer the last day or two. I think I've eliminated the Yamaha because it doesn't have DTS-ES or DTS Neo6. I'm still confused about the Onkyo because some say it is fine and some say it doesn't put out the power it is rated at. I'm scared to loose too much power because my old Pioneer is 150 x 2. But everything else about the Onkyo is great. The Denon still seems real nice as well.
    When I first get the reviever it will be replacing my old Pioneer, so my curent CV three-way's will be used. They are floor standing with a 10", 3 1/2", and 1" set of speakers. I'll probably replace them with an entire Paradigm Performance surround setup a few months after getting the reciever. Don't quote me on that though, I'll still have to do more shopping around. [​IMG]

11. DanielN

DanielN Stunt Coordinator

The Pioneer 811 also has a full set of pre-outs. You being a music maker might want this feature as well.