What's new

Fed up with Wal-Mart's shift towards Fullscreen (1 Viewer)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
One Hour Photo is another title that my Wal-Mart only carries in FS.

Chuck Watwood

Stunt Coordinator
My local Walmart also didn't even stock the WS Animal House DVD. They have done this on several recent titles. They also don't stock R rated DVD's that they deem too sexual. Its already been mentioned that they stopped carrying Maxim and FHM magazines. Walmart has designated themselves the morality police or something. I think adults should have the right to choose their entertainment content. Another gripe about Walmart is their high prices on DVD's. They rarely have the lowest prices on any of them. When I do buy from them, I always make them price match and then they nit pick the ads. I say Boycott Walmart!!! :angry:

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
I think adults should have the right to choose their entertainment content.
And Wal-Mart has the right not to carry whatever they want. I will never buy CD's from them because of their policies (afraid I'll pick up censored crap by accident). I've always found it funny that they won't carry the uncensored Metallica album, which has a total of about 3 F words, yet they'll carry Clerks. I even saw Mulholland Dr. there before.

*boggle*

Maybe I'm lucky and my local Wal-Mart is a little more progressive than most. They also have great first week prices (though they pretty much suck after that). I got AOTC for $12 and FOTR:EE for $24 (that was a good day).

StephenA

Screenwriter
When I got Daredevil at Wal-Mart, I had to dig around for a widescreen version. There was pretty much all fullscreen. I think there was only 5 widescreen in all. The store here only carries widescreen if they have no other choice, otherwise it's pretty much all fullscreen, which I won't buy. I'll just go to Best Buy or Newbury Comics(people from Mass and NH know this store) if I can't get a widescreen movie at Wal-Mart.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Another gripe about Walmart is their high prices on DVD's. They rarely have the lowest prices on any of them. When I do buy from them, I always make them price match and then they nit pick the ads. I say Boycott Walmart!!!
The according to those guys in those commercials, "The prices! They're lowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww" :)

rick stein

Stunt Coordinator
I had the same thing happen to me at kmart one time. I can't remember the title but they only had the fore skin version. And another time it happened at toy's r us when they only had the bull screen version of star wars. So needless to say they certainly did not and will not get my business until they get their head's stuck out of their ass.

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
My Wal-Mart is usually 75%/25% in favor of Foolscreen. Sometimes they only stock foolscreen. One new release that comes to mind is There's Something More About Mary. (Shouldn't the real title be, There's Something Less About Mary???)
I went to 2 different Wal-Marts looking for There's Something about Mary, and you're right only garbage, fool screen. I'm done with crap-mart.
Todd

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
I will repeat again. In asian, there is no home video release in fullscreen. Even VHS are all widescreen. And the population over there is 10 times the on in America.

They never complained about black bars.

Wal-Mart will be the first one chain to start pushing FS dvds aside and put WS dvd upfront.. in 2007.

Chris Duran

Stunt Coordinator
Well like Malcolm said Wal-Mart does not do ordering for either Music, CD's or Magazines, they have a third party that does this, the company is Anderson. Wal-Mart usually isn't to bad when it comes to stocking both versions, although latley flims like Animal House and Something about Mary are only in full screen, and no widescreen copies to be seen, guess it's going to be the trend for flims such as these. Regular movies not new releases are about split, though a favor in full screen most of the time they have both versions, but for movies that are stocked regularly they are sometimes only full screen because of space and inventory concerns. I think that the movie industry should have just imbraced the DVD as a flim makers medium only, movies from now on will only be released in the OAR, but of course they caved to the peoples demands, and why not when all these people have new 16x9 tvs, the movie companies will get even more money for the widescreen versions because they will really be complaining about black bars. It's all about supply and demand, and obviously now there still is a demand for full screen otherwise the studios wouldn't be making them. As much as we hate it we just have to accept it, and remember to vote with your money to let company's like Wal-Mart know which product you like.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
but of course they caved to the peoples demands, and why not when all these people have new 16x9 tvs, the movie companies will get even more money for the widescreen versions because they will really be complaining about black bars.
I don't think that when Joe 6 Pack gets his 16:9 TV they'll ever see the black bars on the sides. They will likely have the TV set to full mode to stretch the 4:3 movie.

I don't think that these people will be rushing to replace their full screen copies with widescreen ones. Someone who doesn't care if they are missing up to 40% of the movie will not care if it's stretch a bit.

Josh C

Auditioning
Bryan X, I had the same problem. On Tuesday, I went to pick up the Simpsons Season 3 DVD and I saw a bunch of Animal House's. I went to get one, but each and every single one was FF! :frowning:

wally

Second Unit
You'd think that Wal-Mart would see that WS is beating out FS very consistantly in sales even with their own heavy favoritism of FS as a factor. You'd think they would wise up.
It's all about the $. I promise if several big releases went by with W-M stocking just Full Screen and they didn't sell a single copy, but generated countless complaints from customers not being able to find OAR, they would start caring more OAR. When they stock, they must see those OAR discs sitting on the shelf longer than the Full Screens.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
This is why you take your business elsewhere...
That's fine if there is another option. For me, there is no other B&M option within an hour's drive.

Besides, if many of us who want WS copies stop buying the WS versions from Wal-Mart, the result will be that their FS copies sell to J6P and the WS copies sit on the shelf. This will just incorrectly reinforce the idea to Wal-Mart that FS is what everyone wants. In the event there is no WS copy, then yes, taking my business elsewhere is the only option. I will NEVER by a FS copy.

In the instances where Wal-Mart does not carry the WS version, I'll either wait until I am somewhere that carries it or I will order it online. But ordering online, for me, is not a viable alternative on a regular basis. I'd much rather hit a B&M on my lunch hour to browse and buy.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
It's not all about price. I don't care whether I pay 14.99 or 17.99 or whatever. I enjoy the B&M experience.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I'll sometimes stop in to Wal-Mart to check out the cheap-dvd's (i.e: the $5.88 bin diving) when I got some time to kill...I also have noticed an abundance of PAN-and-SCAN copies of various titles...but here's what I've really picked up on...the PAN-and-SCAN copies don't seem to really be selling all that well. There are tons of them on the shelves! :)

Chris Duran

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting fact from Wal-Mart Corp. when a DVD releases with both full and widescreen versions, customers pick the full screen version 65% of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks