Feb 9th DC area HTF Meet at my house !!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip Hamm, Feb 2, 2002.

1. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Yeah, I know it's last minute. I'm thinking an afternoon of HT fellowship, 1 PM to 5 or so.
    If you're interested either post here or email me (or both). I'm hoping the turn-out is good.
    HTF meet at Philip Hamm's House! I'm in Centreville, VA, about 30 miles West of DC. The fun will include:
    * If there's interest, we will watch Peter Jackson's "The Frighteners Director's Cut" from the rare LaserDisc.
    *DVD-Audio Demo! I have four DVD-A discs including a sampler, "Steely Dan: Two Against Nature", "Barenaked Ladies: Maroon", "The Firesign Theater: Boom Dot Bust". Also a generous selection of DTS 5.1 CDs completes the surround music demo.
    * Movie demo scenes, including the Thanksgiving weekend Best Buy Fox Demo Disc. Also, demos from your favorite not available on DVD LDs, including "Raiders of the Lost Arc", "The Lion King", and others.
    * Awesome door psizes! Well, mundane door prizes... Well.. to be honest, extremely mundane door prizes.... [​IMG]
    * Incredible demo of an amazingly versatile and powerful remote control - yes, the OneForAll Cinema 7+!!! My new favorite remote control.
    * If interested, demo of MiniDisc technology, including blind A/B comparison of original and MD ATRAC compressed copy - think you can tell the difference?
    *Outlaw ICBM demo - for everything since it is ALWAYS WORKING!!!
    BE AMAZED AT MY AWESOME Home Theater state-of-the-art video display... Well, state-of-the-art in 1996. [​IMG] Actually, an old NTSC rear projector that yearns for replacement... Not bad though thanks to Louis Carliner.
    Actually it's really just a good time talking about home theater and meeting some of the faces behind the names and signatures here at the Forum. Should be fun. For those of you who have been to my place before, check out my new home page (click the little green house). Lots of new gear there, most importantly a new pre/pro and amplifier to replaced my old DD-ready receiver and external decoders.

2. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

Sweet! I missed your last meet because I was out of town.
    I just upgraded my subs from a pair of SVS 20-39CS to a pair of 16-46CS+. This means I have an unused pair of SV subs and a Fidek amp just sitting here doing nothing. Would you be interested in doing anything with them for the meet?
    Bruce
    p.s. Looking forward to talking about BIKES! [​IMG]
    p.p.s. You may want to put a location in your topic header!

3. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

Works for me.

See you on the 9th,

bikeless biker

_zjt

4. Chris Lana

Chris Lana Extra

Phil,

Having been to your house the past two Januarys, I'd love to make it a three-peat but I'll be away.

Post how it goes like you've done before.

Also I'm moving to Cheasapeake, VA at the end of Feb.

All the best.

Chris

5. Jeff H

Jeff H Stunt Coordinator

Man, I wish I could attend. I have to go to a wedding. The kids (8 and 6) are in the wedding. I would love to meet all the DC area HT folks. Hopefully, next time I will be available. Have a great time!

Bruce, are you going to be selling your SVS's? I have a Sunfire MKII and would love to move to the SVS.

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Bruce,

We demoed a self powered SVS last time I see no reason why you couldn't bring a tube and the Fidek this time. It would be easy to hook up in place of my modest DefTech. You'd need to come a little early if possible so we can calibrate it.

Good suggestion, the header is being edited.

7. Bob Kuchay

Bob Kuchay Auditioning

Phil:

If you don't mind a newbie, I'd love to come and join the fun!

Bob

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Sounds great! Only four of us so far? Wow, I'm underwhelmed. Too short notice perhaps?

9. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

I'm going to bring a pair of SVS 20-39CS subs and a 300 watt per channel Fidek amp to the meet. We can demo one or both depending on how much room Phil has.
    These SV subs will be FOR SALE so if you're in the area and interested in SV Subwoofers then make arrangements to be there!
    Bruce

10. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Count me in. Man I'm glad I checked this part of the forum to see if there were any meets coming up.

Jeff

11. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Glad I checked this place too! [​IMG] I'll email you Phil about directions.

12. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I will send out a group email on Friday for everyone who has expressed interest with directions.

-Phil

13. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Arg! You know, Phil, you scheduled this on the same day the AVS Maryland HT club is also having a meeting. Considering you are closer than Olney, I might end up going to yours instead.

Jason

14. Matthew Furtek

Matthew Furtek Stunt Coordinator

Hello All HTF'rs in Northern Virginia. I'm from there, and am really interested in buying a LD player. I would love it if someone at this meet was looking to sell one (looking for a *WORKING* Pioneer CLD, especially to buy locally). Catch is my dad would have to pick it up for me. That's no problem, as he's probably taking an interest in this now, as I've gotten another broke LD item sent to him (a player this time) while I'm at school. I wonder how many good ones have fallen by the wayside because of poor shipping?

Matthew Furtek

15. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Matthew,
    Sorry you can't make it, we'll think of you. I have four working LD players, including two top quality ones, but none are even close to for sale. [​IMG]
    All, I've sent out the email, it looks like we'll have about 7 people, which is a good fit for my movie room.
    If none of you are interested in watching "The Frighteners", there are a lot of other great LD movies to watch such as all three Star Wars movies, the Indiana Jones movies, Back To The Future, Fear Of A Black Hat (again - I never get tired of it), Strictly Ballroom (a cute movie from the director of "Moulin Rouge" and "Romeo + Juliet") or, -gasp- we could actually watch a DVD!
    If you have some good demo material, go ahead and bring it along. Particularly "Moulin Rouge" which is great demo material (though I didn't like it personally).
    We will be demoing Bruce Norton's SVS pair, running them in stereo mode using the special capabilities of the Outlaw ICBM. (Bruce, bring cables if you've got 'em! We'll need to put the amp on top of the rack and the right speaker all the way over on the left side of the TV).
    As a nice bonus, Mark Austin is lending me a very nice cable for my digital coaxial connection between my LD player and the pre/pro. Audio bliss should be only a connection away! [​IMG]

16. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

This event sounds like fun. I'd love to hear what a DTS Laserdisc really sounds like. Have any one those Phil?

I do have a copy of the Criterion version of The Game I could bring along if anyone is interested.

Jeff

17. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I have many DTS LaserDiscs, including The Shadow, Die Hard With A Vengance, The Rock, Broken Arrow, Babe, Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame, Disney's Pocohantas, The Long Kiss Goodnight, Happy Gilmore, Blown Away, The Crow (sounds UNBELIEVABLE), Hard Target, TimeCop, Good Will Hunting, Jackie Brown, Schindler's List, Daylight, Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story, Great Expectations, True Lies, Evita, Eric Clapton: Unplugged (demo material bigtime), and a few others that I can't remember right now. [​IMG]
    Did everyone get my email? I haven't gotten any responses yet.

18. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Phil,
    Can you e-mail your address to [email protected] My son has a basketball game tomorrow but I'd like to pop in and meet some of the fellow home theater guys in the area. I've recently started a company doing custom home theaters in the area and I can answer a few questions about the trials and tribulations of getting into the business. I'm NOT trolling for business here, just sharing my passion with others. Regards.

19. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I got your email Phil. I'll be there, can't wait to finally hear DVD-A and an SVS!

20. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Bill,

You have mail.