features I would like to see

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by chuckg, Jun 19, 2004.

1. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

Just idling curiously, but here's some thoughts on Amp/processor features that I'd like to see. Does anyone know if these are common, or available at some budget level?

The number one feature I would like is several "presets" so that all the various parameters can be set for different purposes and called up at will.

For instance, if an old film is plain vanilla mono, I really would rather not have it come only from the center channel. I'd like to spread some of the sound to the stereo pair for tonal balance. Control over how much would be nice too.

Or if I'm listening to music, I really need considerably less bass than I use for movies. And I usually want the stereo pair only. I play the CDs from the DVD player, so just switching inputs with presets for each input isn't good enough.

And for those late-night films when I don't want to bug anybody, or those oldy moldies where the words are more important than the efffects, I'd like to have a preset that lets me cut the bass some, boost the mids, and kill off the surrounds.

I would also like the "user interface" for the amp/pro to be sensible. I have a "free" Aiwa right now, and I would like to relegate it to doorstop patrol, and put in something less weird. Right now I have to sit in front of the receiver with the remote control and hit buttons on the remote and the front panel to get anything meaningful done.

Under the "way out there" category, how about assignable maximum power for the speakers? My surrounds are rated for about 100W and everything else is rated much higher. I'd rather run the risk of slightly degrading the quality of full-blast effects than smoke a surround speaker.

Watch this space for more----ya'all add your own dream features!

2. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

Just idling curiously, but here's some thoughts on Amp/processor features that I'd like to see. Does anyone know if these are common, or available at some budget level?

The number one feature I would like is several "presets" so that all the various parameters can be set for different purposes and called up at will.

For instance, if an old film is plain vanilla mono, I really would rather not have it come only from the center channel. I'd like to spread some of the sound to the stereo pair for tonal balance. Control over how much would be nice too.

Or if I'm listening to music, I really need considerably less bass than I use for movies. And I usually want the stereo pair only. I play the CDs from the DVD player, so just switching inputs with presets for each input isn't good enough.

And for those late-night films when I don't want to bug anybody, or those oldy moldies where the words are more important than the efffects, I'd like to have a preset that lets me cut the bass some, boost the mids, and kill off the surrounds.

I would also like the "user interface" for the amp/pro to be sensible. I have a "free" Aiwa right now, and I would like to relegate it to doorstop patrol, and put in something less weird. Right now I have to sit in front of the receiver with the remote control and hit buttons on the remote and the front panel to get anything meaningful done.

Under the "way out there" category, how about assignable maximum power for the speakers? My surrounds are rated for about 100W and everything else is rated much higher. I'd rather run the risk of slightly degrading the quality of full-blast effects than smoke a surround speaker.

Watch this space for more----ya'all add your own dream features!

3. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

take a look around, the B&K reference 50 has these features. maybe not EXACTLY what you are looking for, but really really close.

4. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

take a look around, the B&K reference 50 has these features. maybe not EXACTLY what you are looking for, but really really close.

5. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I think a lot of receiver's now days will do most of what you want. But if you looking for a low-priced receiver check out the JVC model RX-7040 that has these features & goes for around $250.00

* = Can Be Selected From The Remote Control

FOR MUSIC SOURCES:
    Dolby Pro-logic II Music *
    DTS Neo6: Music *
    JVC DSP Hall 1 *
    JVC DSP Hall 2 *
    JVC DSP Live Club *
    JVC DSP Dance Club *
    JVC DSP Pavilion *
    JVC DSP All Stereo *

FOR VIDEO SOURCES:
    Dolby Pro-Logic *
    Dolby Pro-Logic II Movie *
    DTS Neo6: Cinema *
    JVC DSP Theater 1 *
    JVC DSP Theater 2 *
    JVC DSP Mono Film * (Turns Mono into Surround Sound)

Dolby Pro-Logic II "Music"
    Has 3 Different Adjustments:
    Panorama, Center Width & Dimention

DTS Neo6: "Music"
    Has 1 Adjustment:
    Center Gain

JVC DSP MODES *
    Have 3 Different Adjustments:
    Effect, Room Size & Type Of Room

Tone Controls: 5-Band EQ *
    63 Hz Bass
    250 Hz Mid Bass
    1 KHz Mid Range
    4 KHz Mid Trebble
    16 KHz Trebble
    Center Speaker Tone Control *
    Settings: 1 Softer, 2 Soft, 3 Flat, 4 Sharp, 5 Sharper
    Plus an on/off Bass Boost Switch *

The nice thing about the JVC is that you can set Everything for each different Source (TV, VCR, DVD, AM, FM & ETC)Including Formats, Volume Levels For Each Speaker, Tone Controls, DSP MODES & etc.

I bought my daughter a JVC a few years ago & one of the reasons I went with the JVC was that once her boyfriend set it up for her all she has to do is select the source she wants & everything has been Pre-Set for her Source by Source, yet it has enough buttons on the Remote to fool around with for different sound settings which she can easily set back to the way her boyfriend set it up for her. Maybe someone else will chime in here & give you some other Brands to take a look at. The big thing I would like to see ALL Receiver's do is UPCONVERT ALL VIDEO SIGNALS TO HDMI without any video loss when they all finally have HDMI Inputs on them.[​IMG]

6. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I think a lot of receiver's now days will do most of what you want. But if you looking for a low-priced receiver check out the JVC model RX-7040 that has these features & goes for around $250.00

* = Can Be Selected From The Remote Control

FOR MUSIC SOURCES:
    Dolby Pro-logic II Music *
    DTS Neo6: Music *
    JVC DSP Hall 1 *
    JVC DSP Hall 2 *
    JVC DSP Live Club *
    JVC DSP Dance Club *
    JVC DSP Pavilion *
    JVC DSP All Stereo *

FOR VIDEO SOURCES:
    Dolby Pro-Logic *
    Dolby Pro-Logic II Movie *
    DTS Neo6: Cinema *
    JVC DSP Theater 1 *
    JVC DSP Theater 2 *
    JVC DSP Mono Film * (Turns Mono into Surround Sound)

Dolby Pro-Logic II "Music"
    Has 3 Different Adjustments:
    Panorama, Center Width & Dimention

DTS Neo6: "Music"
    Has 1 Adjustment:
    Center Gain

JVC DSP MODES *
    Have 3 Different Adjustments:
    Effect, Room Size & Type Of Room

Tone Controls: 5-Band EQ *
    63 Hz Bass
    250 Hz Mid Bass
    1 KHz Mid Range
    4 KHz Mid Trebble
    16 KHz Trebble
    Center Speaker Tone Control *
    Settings: 1 Softer, 2 Soft, 3 Flat, 4 Sharp, 5 Sharper
    Plus an on/off Bass Boost Switch *

The nice thing about the JVC is that you can set Everything for each different Source (TV, VCR, DVD, AM, FM & ETC)Including Formats, Volume Levels For Each Speaker, Tone Controls, DSP MODES & etc.

I bought my daughter a JVC a few years ago & one of the reasons I went with the JVC was that once her boyfriend set it up for her all she has to do is select the source she wants & everything has been Pre-Set for her Source by Source, yet it has enough buttons on the Remote to fool around with for different sound settings which she can easily set back to the way her boyfriend set it up for her. Maybe someone else will chime in here & give you some other Brands to take a look at. The big thing I would like to see ALL Receiver's do is UPCONVERT ALL VIDEO SIGNALS TO HDMI without any video loss when they all finally have HDMI Inputs on them.[​IMG]

7. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

The Lexicon MC-12 has all of your "wish list" features, including the "way out there" power limiter. The programmable limiter, however, is only implemented on the three sub outputs, not mains or surrounds.

All inputs (12) and modes (there must be 50) have individually-selectable setup parameters. You assign a default mode to each input, but you can always change it or tinker from there.

One of my favorite features is three trigger outputs. I have these programmed to power up only the power amps necessary for the particular mode I'm in.

Yeah, it's not a cheap processor ($10K MSRP in balanced form) but it does everything. It's also upgradeable to keep up with the latest advances. V3.0 added automatic setup and more modes while V4.0 (releasing soon) adds room correction (with optional microphone kit).

8. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

The Lexicon MC-12 has all of your "wish list" features, including the "way out there" power limiter. The programmable limiter, however, is only implemented on the three sub outputs, not mains or surrounds.

All inputs (12) and modes (there must be 50) have individually-selectable setup parameters. You assign a default mode to each input, but you can always change it or tinker from there.

One of my favorite features is three trigger outputs. I have these programmed to power up only the power amps necessary for the particular mode I'm in.

Yeah, it's not a cheap processor ($10K MSRP in balanced form) but it does everything. It's also upgradeable to keep up with the latest advances. V3.0 added automatic setup and more modes while V4.0 (releasing soon) adds room correction (with optional microphone kit).

9. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

From the rumours on SMR forum it appears the V4 upgrade might cost $3000! And from the usual $1-£1 price fixing [​IMG] £3000![​IMG] that's on top of the MC-12 price of course

10. JohnSmith

From the rumours on SMR forum it appears the V4 upgrade might cost $3000! And from the usual $1-£1 price fixing [​IMG] £3000![​IMG] that's on top of the MC-12 price of course

11. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

You run thge risk of blowing your surround speakers with a 50W amp than with a 200W amp. Speakers can handle 3-5 times their rated power for short durations (typical transient blasts in a movie) but are destroyed by underpowered amps delivering distorted and clipped power below the speakers rated power capability.

12. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

You run thge risk of blowing your surround speakers with a 50W amp than with a 200W amp. Speakers can handle 3-5 times their rated power for short durations (typical transient blasts in a movie) but are destroyed by underpowered amps delivering distorted and clipped power below the speakers rated power capability.

13. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    All of the NAD receivers offer most or all of the things you are asking for and more, at a considerably lower cost than the Lexicon or B&K.

AKA "Midnight" or "night" mode for digital sources, which does more or less what you are asking without removing the surrounds (with m/c tracks). You could always force stereo mode and/or select the stereo track on a disc. Most moderate priced receivers have had this for years.

The power ratings of your speakers is almost irrelevant. Just becuase they are rated for a MAX of 100 UNCLIPPED watts, does not mean the NEED 100wpc, nor are they likely to ever see that much power unless you run them full range at extreme volumes in an "all channel stereo" mode or m/c music (DVD, SACD, DVD-A, etc...).

14. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    All of the NAD receivers offer most or all of the things you are asking for and more, at a considerably lower cost than the Lexicon or B&K.

AKA "Midnight" or "night" mode for digital sources, which does more or less what you are asking without removing the surrounds (with m/c tracks). You could always force stereo mode and/or select the stereo track on a disc. Most moderate priced receivers have had this for years.

The power ratings of your speakers is almost irrelevant. Just becuase they are rated for a MAX of 100 UNCLIPPED watts, does not mean the NEED 100wpc, nor are they likely to ever see that much power unless you run them full range at extreme volumes in an "all channel stereo" mode or m/c music (DVD, SACD, DVD-A, etc...).

15. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Feature I would most like to see:

2 headphone outs each in a different zone.

16. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Feature I would most like to see:

2 headphone outs each in a different zone.

17. JohnSmith

But do the NAD's have Logic 7? I don't think so!

btw, the Lexicon's offer Mono Logic, which is a very good DSP for mono films. It creates a 7.1 soundtrack from a mono source. I used it when watching Lost in Space, and it helps immerse you into it. It's not a phoney DSP, as voices still stayin centre. It's also got a acacemy filter (a drastic EQ) plus effect adjustment. Try it yourself.

18. JohnSmith

But do the NAD's have Logic 7? I don't think so!

btw, the Lexicon's offer Mono Logic, which is a very good DSP for mono films. It creates a 7.1 soundtrack from a mono source. I used it when watching Lost in Space, and it helps immerse you into it. It's not a phoney DSP, as voices still stayin centre. It's also got a acacemy filter (a drastic EQ) plus effect adjustment. Try it yourself.

19. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

NAD's presets work great. You can have one for mono movies, one for DD/DTS movies, one for two channel with the bass 'hot', one for two channel with the bass accurate etc. It is a great feature from a company that does not include many bells and whistles.

The onscreen menus are also very easy to navigate and use.

20. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

NAD's presets work great. You can have one for mono movies, one for DD/DTS movies, one for two channel with the bass 'hot', one for two channel with the bass accurate etc. It is a great feature from a company that does not include many bells and whistles.

The onscreen menus are also very easy to navigate and use.