What's new

Fearless Vamp killers (1 Viewer)

Martin S

Stunt Coordinator
There seems to be a rumour going about that a release of THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS is about to appear at the end of the month. An anomorphic widescreen print is quoted and it might be from Brazil. Anyone heard about this?

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
I haven't heard, but I would love it if it comes true. Are there any links to be posted?

Edit: Jerome beat me to it. Unfortunately I can not access that web site due to firewall restrictions. Anyone care to post a little synopsis?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
It might be worth waiting for the MGM (?) region 1 version. Polanski is sure to do a commentary for it.

I'd still like to hear about the transfer for this upcoming Brazilian (if that is where it is from) DVD though.

Gordy

Jerome

Second Unit
that's what you can find on the website :

THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS
(DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES)
USA/UK 1967 - Roman Polanski
DVD DUE - 03/15/03
Widescreen 2.35:1 (16x9 enhanced)
Format: NTSC / Zone 0
Extras: Restored Directors Version, Trailers
Language: English
Subtitles: N/A
Audio: Dolby Stereo
Category: Art House

Tom Oh

Second Unit
I know that there are several different edits of this film. I would love to see the unedited version.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Yes, unfortunately no clear indication as to running time. However, the box art uses the US title The Fearless Vampire Killers, so it likely is the US recut, which is too bad. But if no R1 announcement is forthcoming in the near future, I may just pick this one up.

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
It could very well be the full director's cut. I taped a widescreen version of this movie from the movie channel TNT back in '98 and it was the full 103 minute (PAL) version and had the title "Fearless Vampire Killers" in the credits.

Anyway, this sounds great (I'm the one who created this petition to have the film released on DVD).

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
However, the box art uses the US title The Fearless Vampire Killers, so it likely is the US recut, which is too bad.
That isn't the box art, it's just a poster image that Luminous used for their site. You can see the actual cover art at this Brazlian DVD shop. The title on the cover is A Dança dos Vampiros, which is a Portuguese translation of Polanski's preferred title. The site claims that the disc will have a running time of 100 minutes, but that doesn't match up with any version; it's shorter than even the U.S. cut (even with PAL speedup, although this will be an NTSC release). However, the cover says "Versão Integral Sem Cortes" which would indicate a longer verson "without cuts." The release date is now set at April 7, so I'll guess we'll find out eventually...

DJ

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Hm, interesting, Damin. Perhaps even though it's NTSC it's using a PAL master? That would be pretty weird, but as I understand it Brazilian releases are unreliable enough (and often bootlegs) that I expect some caution is warranted on this disc.

Martin S

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone managed to get hold of this yet? I'm keen to know what the quality/ sound's like and its meant to be out now (I think)

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
There are different release dates posted, 3/23/03, 4/7/03. One that I saw was 4/10/03, but it's still listed as pre-order.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Martin,

went to the above site and can't find the review. Stated that there were no posts in the past 30 days, which can't be accurate.
Was it a positive review???

:) D

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
However, the box art uses the US title The Fearless Vampire Killers, so it likely is the US recut, which is too bad.
The MGM widescreen LD had the title The Fearless Vampire Killers (or pardon me, but your teeth are in my neck) on the cover was the "uncut" version. The actual credits in the film read The Fearless Vampire Killers, though the disc also included the alternate US credits after the film which featured the longer (and sillier) title.

The quality of the LD was quite good.

AlanBrom

Second Unit
This DVD seems to be a bootleg of the out of print MGM laserdisc, which was complete. Since I still own that, I'm going to wait and hope that Warner releases it one Halloween. Maybe next year with the Hammer films they promised on the recent chat here?

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hi Alan,

If this DVD is indeed anamorphic, then it can't just be a laserdisc boot. I doubt that this film would even be bootlegged. If you look at the Brazil DVD websites, they don't sell any Star Wars OT boots, which are the most desireable of all boots, so I think it's legit. Thay have some weird licensing deals down there and there are several discs available that people assumed were boots but turned out to be legit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks