What's new

FEARLESS (Peter Weir) (1 Viewer)

Any idea if we'll see a widescreen version of "Fearless" coming out anytime soon? I've been reluctant to purchase the P&S version on principle. Why oh why did Warner Bros. choose to make this a P&S release?

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I have held off on buying Fearless for the same reason. It's a great film, but I can't imagine watching it in MAR again.
It was released P&S because it was a very early Warner release... most of their titles at that time were P&S or full frame.
I don't think there is a re-release on the horizon. It will be years, probably.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Count me as another who is impatiently waiting a re-release of this title.

I'm hoping that Warner sees fit to re-release this title in 2003, marking it's 10 year anniversary - but I'm not holding my breath.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
WB will re-release this...when they think it's the right time. Would you rather they do a crappy, bare-bones, transferred-from-LD release, albeit in widescreen, or have a high-quality, 16x9 anamorphic widescreen release with a healthy amount of special features? If you want it soon, you just might end up with the former, and since you obviously want the latter, you'll have to wait until WB decides it's the right time.
But be warned: If you buy the old disc, you'll probably find an announcement of a new version as soon as you get home and log back onto the HTF. ;)

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor

I don't think this is pan/scanned since it was an open matte so your not missing any of the picture. I do wish they would have included the correct oar. The only way to get the correct oar is getting the letterboxed LD.

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven
The LD, IIRC, was letterboxed @ 1.66:1 aspect ratio. I got the DVD as a Warner freebie, but would re-purchase in a second if an anamorphic version (with extras) is produced.

one of the great films of the 90's, with a lead actor that continues to be the most under-apprecieted in Hollywood.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Would you rather they do a crappy, bare-bones, transferred-from-LD release, albeit in widescreen, or have a high-quality, 16x9 anamorphic widescreen release with a healthy amount of special features?
What if it was a bare-bones, 16x9 widescreen release? That might satisfy alot of people. I want this film as much as anyone, but I'm under no delusions that Warner is going to revisit it anytime soon.

Bruce

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
What I was saying is, if you demand something now, they could drop the ball and do a cheap, cut-rate, mediocre disc in an attempt to get it out as fast as possible. If you aren't patient enough to wait for the studio to decide when it's the right time to release or re-release a title, we'll get another Exodus.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
What I was saying is, if you demand something now, they could drop the ball and do a cheap, cut-rate, mediocre disc in an attempt to get it out as fast as possible.
Warners already did that with "Fearless". I'm not sure why you think a bare bones 16:9 release would also be as bad, given Warners pretty good track record of late with their catalogue titles. The film is also hard matted to 1.66:1 by the cinematographer, so the DVD is definitely panned and scanned.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
I don't either, and, in retrospect, I really don't know what I was saying...but still, I bet that if they churned out a bare-bones 16x9 widescreen disc, someone would complain about a lack of extras. A good release will come, when the time is right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks